PDA

View Full Version : Firesights for SRH

wtfooptimax200
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Does anyone have firesights for the SRH? I'm thinking that they would be far better than the stock sights for hunting situations, but do not want to waste they money if they are junk. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Branden

44man
03-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I don't know how they would work in the field. I used a shiny brass front sight one year on my muzzle loader and all I seen was a ball of fire out there and could not center it in the rear sight at all until I got out in the open field. It was miserable in the woods.
I can not use the fronts with plastic inserts either, S&W sights drive me nuts.

bobthenailer
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I have several handguns with fiber optic front sights and IMO you get faster front sight pick up for quick shots but there not as accurate as a plane patrage front sight , gold bead optional.
And i dont care for ramped style or those with colored inserts

44man
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I have several handguns with fiber optic front sights and IMO you get faster front sight pick up for quick shots but there not as accurate as a plane patrage front sight , gold bead optional.
And i dont care for ramped style or those with colored inserts
I also hate a ramp! They are for quick draw from a holster. The best is an undercut front, dead black.
Three TINY tritium dots are OK to line up.
I made the first lighted bow sights but with no money, they were stolen because I could not pay a patent. I still make my own and found if too bright under certain light I could not see a deer. I used a potentiometer to turn the light down to a glow.
The only front sight that glowed I liked was on a shotgun, the old Ithaca sight.
Even with the Ultra Dot, use ONLY enough light to see the dot.