PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 Load Development

wtfooptimax200
03-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I am planning to develop a load for my 30-06, as I have not put much time into it in the past. I'd ideally like one round that will perform well on deer (my primary target) and also on black bear, hogs, moose, caribou, and elk, should I have the opportunity to hunt them in the future. I'd like to settle on one load for this gun and be done with it. My requirement for heavier game has lead me to either the Accubond, Partition, or TTSX. I'd prefer to stay in the 168 to 180 grain range.

I've narrowed down the bullets choices, but how many powders should I try? My brother has some Varget and Benchmark that I could 'borrow' to do some testing, but should I try any others?

Am I overcomplicating this? After all, this is a hunting rifle that is highly unlikely to be used past 300 yards. Is it likely that if I choose the bullet that shoots best using only one powder, that I can simply tweak the charge to wring out some decent accuracy?

Branden

Bullet Caster
03-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Branden,
The powder that was invented for the .30-06 is IMR 4895. Tha't what I use in my .30-06 loads whether they be jacketed or cast. The only jacketed bullets I have are pull downs from older military ammo that would not go bang. As far as cast boolits I use 35 grains of IMR 4895 for a 200 grain boolit with a gas check. I've found information on this by searching with the "search" feature and found out that for a military 147 gn. jacketed bullet, start at 47 grains IMR 4895 to replicate a factory military load. Eventhough my load manual says to use 53 grains for a 150 gn. jacketed bullet, but I would not want to be the one pulling the trigger. I believe it was Larry Gibson that said he'd pulled down a lot of military ammo and never found any loaded that hot, usu. in the 46 to 48 grain range, if I can recall. BC

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Branden,

First you are going in the right direction if your looking for one load for one rifle.

Switching loads to match the game is a good way to get mixed up in the field and blow a shot.

With the proper bullet of good integrity, you won't have over kill or damage on lighter critters, and still have plenty of bullet for the bigger animals you list.

There are some other good bullets, and we are lucky to have a good long list of very good bullets these days. Far more then when I started loading.

However, you can simply not go wrong with a Nosler Partition. As good as some of the others are, the partition is what they are compaired to. There is a good reason for that.

With the animals you are talking about, the 165gr Partition would serve you well, but the advantage might lay with the 180 gr bullet.

Powders ---------------- The two powders you list are not the place to start!

Don't want to up set or offend anyone here, but what I'd do is pick up 2 or three good loading manuels, Speer/Hornady/Nosler etc. and take a look at what is providing the top velocities and best groups where listed.

4895 is a great powder and has many great uses, but looking at my Nosler book and the 165gr partition it is shown 14th down the list in terms of velocity of the max listed load (44gr for 2464fps) while the top of the list is 760 and the max listed load of 57gr for 2803fps.

Personally, if I was to start on this project with the powders I have on hand, and yes I do have 4895 on hand, I would test IMR 4350 (2747fps max), Reloader 22 (2725fps max), H4350 (2724fps max), IMR 4831 (2670fps max) or maybe IMR4064 or H4831.

These powders were listed in decending order of velocitys. All are good choices.

I did just exactly what you are talking about with a friend this past Summer and his 30/06 liked one of the 4350 powders with the 165gr bullet.

I have been using the 165gr Nosler in my 300 win. mag. not because I think it is better then the 180 gr in the 300, but because I ended up there with another rifle with a very bad barrel and that wt. and bullet shot the best of the many loads I tried.

My current 300 has a beautiful barrel and since I had the bullets on hand and a good supply of hunting loads already loaded I just stayed with it.

If I was using a bullet of lesser integrity, I'd likely change to a heavier bullet in the 300, but because of the quality/integrity of the Partition I have no problem even at the velocities I am seeing.

Is velocity king? Must I use the powder that gets the highest velocity?

No, but if your going to shoot at .308 velocities, why not buy a .308 and save yourself some money on brass and powder.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Lloyd Smale
03-12-2012, 06:01 AM
I use a standard cup and core 150 in the o6 and wouldnt hesitate one second to use that combo on any of the game you listed but if I knew i was going to have a steady diet of the larger animals id proably step up to a 165 or even a 180 but id still stand behind the fact that a cup and core bullet is all you need. Premium bullets just arent need at the velocitys your shooting an 06 at. Id like to have a dollar for even animal large and small dumped with a corelock or power point since the 06 came on the sporting fields.

largom
03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Remington Core-lock bullet 165 to 180 gr.
IMR 4350 powder around 54 gr.
I have never found a 30-06 that did not like this load if everything else is right.

Larry

Larry Gibson
03-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I am planning to develop a load for my 30-06, as I have not put much time into it in the past. I'd ideally like one round that will perform well on deer (my primary target) and also on black bear, hogs, moose, caribou, and elk, should I have the opportunity to hunt them in the future. I'd like to settle on one load for this gun and be done with it. My requirement for heavier game has lead me to either the Accubond, Partition, or TTSX. I'd prefer to stay in the 168 to 180 grain range.......

Branden

The 30-06 has been my main stay cartridge for serious hunting for many years. While I have used other cartridges the '06 is always my pick for serious big game hunting where $s, time and effort are involved. I have used 20 - 26" barrels with the 24 - 26" barrels being my 1st choice. My current and favorite is a 24" M70 with a Zeiss 3x9 scope on it. Sooooo....I have to say you've made a very good cartridge choice.

I have hunted and killed all the animals mentioned quite successfully plus a Rocky Nountain Bighorn Sheep. My shots have ranged from 25 yards to almost 600 yards with most being under 200 yards. I have used the premium bullets you mention but keep coming back to Hornady 180 gr SPBTs or the 190 SPBT as they have always given excellent performance, many times better than the premium bullets at '06 velocities. The choice between the two bullets depends on which one a particular rifle likes best. I've not yet found an '06 rifle that really did not like both of them though. Accuracy with my sporters has always run 1 - 1.5 moa with 10 shot groups.

I've found 2 powders that have given top end velocities and excellent accuracy with both bullets in every '06 I've used them in. I use IMR 4350 with the 180 SPBTs and find 55 - 56 gr to be very good. With the 190 SPBT I use H4831SC and use 60 - 61.5 gr. Velocities will run 2700+ fps depending on barrel tength with the 180 SPBT and 2650+ fps with the 190 SPBT depending on barrel length. It's possible that a couple of the new SuperPerfomance powders can up that but I've not worked with them yet. The 190 SPBT at 2650 fps still has sufficient velocity and energy at 500 yards for elk. I killed one at 478 yards a few years back with that load.

Larry Gibson

Hardcast416taylor
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Remington Core-lock bullet 165 to 180 gr.
IMR 4350 powder around 54 gr.
I have never found a 30-06 that did not like this load if everything else is right.

Larry

Only change to this quote for my useage is I load Nosler 180 gr. Accubond with the IMR-4350 powder and Win. std. large rifle primers in Win. brass. This load was used by a hunting friend of mine in Africa, New Zealand, Canada, our Western and Southern states and of course here in Michigan. Of the over 50 trophy game animals taken with this ammo, only 3 come to mind that needed a second shot and those were in Africa.Robert

frnkeore
03-14-2012, 02:24 AM
A excellent load and one that has won many High Power military matches is 48.0 gr 4064 with either a 165/168 gr bullet or a 180 gr. Use the 165 on deer and the 180 on anything larger. Both are very accurate.

I've gotten as small as 5/8", five shot groups with the 168 loads in a 7600 Remington. For hunting you need a first shot that will repeat each time so, multi shot grouping isn't that important as long as the first two shots on a cold barrel will have the same POI with in about 1.5" at 100 yd. but, in reality 6" will get a deer.

Partial neck size and set OAL about .010 back from the lands but, make sure it will still fit into the magazine.

Frank

o6Patient
01-03-2013, 05:42 PM
I always used 4350 with the 30-o6 w/165s. 4350 can be a bit of a belch fire.
My load use to be 57.5 but you would want to start down around 54 and work
up looking for best accuracy and watching for pressure signs. Start with reg
large rifle primers - they worked with this powder and seemed to be adequate.

CONSULT A RELOADING MANUAL TO VERIFY!never take anybodies
recommendation casually or as gospel no matter who they are!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Some powders give good results as o6Patient indicates with his choice of "4350" (IMR - H - AA ??????).

However, there is no way to know just what rings your rifle's bell without testing.

As I stated earlier, I check out a number of loading manuals to see what is providing top results in their tests and go from there, providing of course I have one or more of the top listed powders on hand which I probably will.

Lots of powder will go bang, and even bring home game, but only testing will tell you which one is optimum in your situation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
*IMR 4350, H4350 didn't give as good consistency or velocity at the time. AA 4350 is a
very good powder also as I understand. I don't load for a standard o6 at the moment.
I load imr 4064 for an o6 carbine and H414 in my o6 Ackley. A 30-06 will perform well with a
huge variety of powders.

TNsailorman
01-11-2013, 11:20 PM
I have one load that has been my go to load for about 45 years. IMR 4350 powder(57.5 grains), Federal 210 primer, Speer 150 grain JSPBT, R-P or Federal brass. The only thing I need to change between different rifles is OAL. I usually seat the bullet .008 to .010 off the lands. I have had a variety of 30-06's over the years and this load seems to work well in all. There are other loads that are faster and a few that is more accurate but this one seems to be a happy medium ground of accuracy & velocity. It is my universal load. Works for me anyway. james

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2013, 07:13 AM
4350 would be the first powder id try and id also probably pick up a can of re19 and 4831

GabbyM
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Load I chose for my new FN manufactured Win M70 in 30-06 is.
Speer 180 grain Deep Curl over RL 17 powder.

Alliant RL 17 has a burn rate close to IMR-4350 but yields a bit more velocity. With a 180 grain bullet 50 to 80 fps is a big hit. Plus the RL-17 is a short grain stick that flows though a powder measure. I’ve run a bunch of it through my 243 AI so have it in inventory. RL-17 is one of the many new powders.
----------

With a 30-06 I’d go with the minimum weight of 180 grain bullets. Leave the 165’s for the guys with 308 Win chambers. Especially since you list moose, bear and elk on your to do list.

I’m new to 30-06 myself having just purchased a Win M70 a few weeks ago. Have shot plenty of Speer hunting style bullets in my 243. Went with the new Speer 180 grain “Deep Curl” for my J bullet in the 06. These bullets are advertised to retain most of there weight for deep penetration. No reason to not believe Speer on that. B.C. is .483 and S.D is .271. Numbers are close to my 150 grain .270 caliber bullets. As are the velocity a 30-06 will shoot the 180 grain compared to the 150’s from a 270 Win. Theory there is to be able to set one rifle down and pick up the other then experience similar wind and elevation adjustments.

I only purchased a 100 box of the Speer 180 grain Deep Curl bullets. Cast boolits is the intended steady diet for this 30-06. So far it’s shooting everything great. Only tried one powder charge. 28 grains of RL 7 under 160 , 180 and two different 200 grain bullets cast from 2:6 alloy. Very clean burning and everything shot under two inches at 100 yards from positions. Prone and kneeling out in the Arizona desert. Of course I managed to pull a couple shots off during a four hour shooting session. Which must be included to ascertain your true hunting accuracy but not for load development. With no bench rest setup I didn’t see any accuracy difference at the point blank 100 yard range between my cast boolits and the 10% reduced loads with J bullets over WW760. Since I forgot to pack a sling so was shooting the rifle loose hold.

Commenting on your posted bullet choices. Nosler Accu Bonds are a very frangible bullet. Nosler has a nice bullet photo display of there bullets at there web site. Showing expansion at various velocity. While all the Nosler and Hornady plastic tipped bullets display great accuracy. Once you remove your rifle from the concrete bench with sand bags. You’ll be hard pressed to find any difference in the admittedly less accurate Speer D.C. Couple other good J bullets are the Sierra Pro Hunter and Hornady inter lock. Both flat based bullets which I greatly prefer over boat tails for big game terminal performance. Since they fly straight opposed to tail down. Nosler partitions have a frangible nose that will blow clean off then the solid rod that continues on. They are good and have been working for a long time. I’ve some here in .270 that I loaded up in the 1980’s. They’re expensive and IMHO the new Speer DC will penetrate better and have better or similar accuracy at half the cost. If I were to spend the money a partition cost I’d get a Speer Grand Slam. This would also be true for the Barnes solid copper bullets. Except the Barnes solid HP’s would be the deepest penetrating at close ranges. I’ve never personally warmed up to lead free bullets. However from the three bullets you listed in your post I’d go with the Barnes as it’s the one that would penetrate without blowing five pounds of meat away. But that’s only because I don’t like any of the bullets you posted for an all around big game rifle. They all shoot then make a hole but we are fine tuning.

When I shot my new FN made Winchester M70 in 30-06 last holiday week. I was very thrilled to see all my different weight cast boolits shoot to the same sight setting then the J bullet load shoot to the same windage and only a few inches higher at 100 yards. So a dead on zero at 100 yards with boolits is a 250 to 300 yard POI with J bullets without adjusting the scope. Christmas was only a couple days away , howahh. Out of all the rifles I have in five calibers this is the first one that would shoot cast and J bullets onto a piece of paper at 100 yards with the same scope setting.

I’ll be testing powders with H-Benchmark, Accurate 4064, WW 760 and IMR 7828 long stick with my cast boolits.
Working with copper enriched alloys.

At this time my high expectations are for IMR 7828 long stick at 97% case full. Lit by a Remington magnum primer under a Lyman 200 grain #311299. Also have a 200 grain flat nose boolit. Looking for 2,200 to 2,350 fps. With pressure in the upper 30’s. That's a lot of gun right there. If I want an uber velocity J bullet gun I've my 270 Win.

I've a few years beofre I retire and have any chance to go large game hunting. At that point I'll look over my bullet/ boolit options.

Beau Cassidy
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I testing my new rifle last spring (my 3rd .30/06) I had extremely good luck with both Ramshot Hunter. Velocity was higher than with anything else when using 165 Sierra's. Second best was H4831SC. My Model 70 Featherweight likes Reloader 19. I previously used IMR4350 but am giving up on their powders after having a few 10-12 year old cans go bad.

Jkallen83
01-13-2013, 01:44 PM
in my rifles i use Ramshot Big Game powder. i use 50gr for a 180gr hornady SST bullet. puts me at about 2600fps. thats in the middle of the load data, so u could go up or down from there, but i REALLY like the Ramshot powders, they are great, especially the Big Game powder.

o6Patient
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
A lot of these powders weren't available when some of us were first working up loads for the
'o6. there was no 4831 short cut no rx 19 certainly no 17 , no ramshot anything..can't wait to try
some of these powders! At that time imr 4350 was about as good of an all around performer as it
got back when.(and still does the trick)

Lloyd Smale
01-18-2013, 08:09 AM
and the various 4350s are still the 06 powders that others are measured by.
A lot of these powders weren't available when some of us were first working up loads for the
'o6. there was no 4831 short cut no rx 19 certainly no 17 , no ramshot anything..can't wait to try
some of these powders! At that time imr 4350 was about as good of an all around performer as it
got back when.(and still does the trick)

Char-Gar
01-18-2013, 08:50 AM
54 grains of IMR 4350 and a 180 Nosler Partition. Not a top end load so will never give a pressure problem in any rifle and weather. Kill anything in North America grave yard dead if hit in the vitals. Will give good accuracy in any good 30-06 rifle.

rexherring
01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I've shot deer, Elk, and Moose with my 06 and found that my rifle liked the 4350 best with a 165 boat tail or 180 flat base. Every gun is different. The 180 was considered the optimum weight for years in the 06 and probably still is. It should work on just about anything you have mentioned. I was shooting the older Sierra Game King bullets which are not like some of the more modern premium styles but, my dead deer, elk, black bear, and moose didn't know the difference. Shot placement is still the most important. Heck, my moose guide in Alberta used a beat up .30-30 for his moose every year.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Not at all trying to get anyone's hackles up here, but I just approach tests for a new rifle and or caliber a bit different.

No one in their right mind will question the match up of 4350 with the "06" but with each rifle being a rule unto itself, I like to go to the "books" and see what has produced the upper velocity and where shown, the best groups.

I also consider the powders which sit on my shelf and in this present obamanation the availability.

If available and the pocket is currently deep enough, I also will likely slip back to in "J" bullet weight to the 165gr Nosler Partition.

So, considering that I will soon be developing loads for the new RUGER American "06" and as we speak, looking at my Speer loading manual I'd probably go with the following.

Speer, by the way, starts their listings with the powder producing the highest velocities in their tests.

The highest velocity with the 165gr is #760. Hmmmm none here and have never tried it.

Then what do you know, the second listed powder is IMR4350.

Then RL22 followed by H4350, H414, H380, IMR 4831, N140, IMR4064 and H4831, etc.

My current stock of the 4350 is low, but will likely give them a go with shat I have.

However, my stock of H4831 and RL22 is quite good so you can bet they will be in the testing mix.

Velocity IS GREAT, but groups and consistancy are #1, so I really hope something real usable shows up with the RL22 or H4831.

A year ago this past Summer, I did the load work up with a friends "06" and 165gr Noslers, trying a number of different powders.

However, surprising as it may seem, one of the 4350s was the winner when groups won out over a tad higher velocity.

AS good as 4350 is, if a person is going to really see what their "06" likes, don't forget to give some other powders a go.

After all just think of all the shooting you'd miss out on if you only tested 4350.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
If you don't want to bust your boiler working up a load, get a Winchester reloading freebie booklet. They give one load, tell you not to go above or below it and the loads as listed duplicate their factory loads. I have often loaded from these manuals and the loads always worked. Good place to start.

krag35
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
I have been feeding my '06 with Hornaday 165gr spire points, IMR/AAC4350, CCI250 for about 25 years. 2 - 3" groups at 200 yds, and has never failed from Antelope to Elk.

Lloyd Smale
01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I have to wonder a bit about the guys that claim you need a 180 grain 06 load to kill deer. I have to ask how many deer you killed with 150s and 165s. Ive killed well over 50 deer with the o6 and most of them with 150s and 165s. You sure dont need a 180 for anything short of moose and although ive probably only shot 7 or 8 deer with 180s in the o6 ive found they dont kill near as quickly as the lighter bullets and ill also add you sure as hell dont need a bonded or premium bullet in an 06 to kill deer. Its allready an overkill using 150s at any range under 250 yards. In my opinion and i know thats not worth much a 180 grain bullet (even a cup and core 180) sure arent needed till you step up to a magnum.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Well Lloyd,

While I won't discount your comments and huge amount of experience with many deer taken, I do approach loading for most of my rifles a bit differently, at least any of which may be employed to hunt anything from deer to moose.

I also make the choice to develop loads with one bullet for one rifle, rather then switching bullets depending on the Game Animal being hunted.

For that reason, I will work up a load with a bullet considering the heaviest game animal which may turn up in a given season's agenda with a given rifle.

For example, I would choose as a first choice, likely a Nosler Partition, and likely in anything larger then the "06", something in 180gr or larger.

If I'm loaded with the Nosler Partition, I feel very well armed with 165gr even in my 300.

Not because I really need that for a lowly deer, but because I can depend on that choice should it be elk or moose on the day's agenda.

Also, I have seen a number of game animals taken over the years when the hit was not what the shooter desired and the quality of the partition, when used, proved to be less destructive on good meat then the softer "J" bullets.

Here in the portion of Ideeeeho where I live, deer, elk and if the hunter is lucky enough to have drawn a moose tag, moose can be open all at the same time, not to discount also the possibilty of bear. Plus, anyone of those critters could be seen on a given day and in most locations.

So, I look at bullet choice in light of that fact, and not just with the thought of only deer as a possible target.

So, my hunting rifles other then my .243 are all loaded with the multipal possibilities in mind, and the bullet is chosen with the largest/heaviest critter in mind.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Larry Gibson
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Got to agree with Crusty. While I have killed numerous deer and elk with the .308W and '06 using 150 and 165 gr bullets many years ago I decided on one load for deer, elk, caribou, sheep and bear for my favorite hunting '06. Seemed I always had the wrong bullet weight loaded and the rifle zeroed for the wrong bullet/load when I "needed" something else. Thus I 1st settled on the Nosler Partition 180 gr bullet but didn't like the damage done to the meat from the explosive front half of the bullet. Kills great and very good for "trophy" hunting but I like to eat the big gabe too and the Partitions just damaged too much meat for my taste (pun intended). I switched to the Hornady 180 SP and then to the Hornady 180 SPBT and had 100% success on deer, elk, caribou, sheep and numerous coyote's for over 30 years now. Most often they were loaded over IMR or AA 4350 in WW cases with WLR primers. Only change I've made is to go to the Hornady 190 gr SPBT over H4831SC the last 5 years. Nothing wrong with the 180s but the 190s do hold up better out to my own personal ma range on elk. I also see absolutely no reason to use a "premium" bullet in the '06 unless you just like to pay more for bullets. They perform no better on game than the Hornady C&Cs or those that come in yellow and green boxes.

Larry Gibson

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I can understand both of your opinions and for the way you do it its no doubt the best way. I have probably 20 bolt and single shot centerfire rifles in the safe. Im more specific about what i use a gun for. If i was going on a hunt for caribou it would no doubt be with my 264 or one of my 7mags If it was elk maybe one of those or more likely one of my 300 mags. Moose would get my 8mag out of the safe more then likely. I guess i never was one for a one size fits all gun. But if all i had was an o6 id probably think along your lines. One thing for sure is that a 180 grain o6 IS going to kill about any game in north america with a proper hit.

Larry Gibson
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
1. Lloyd

I certainly appreciate having a choice of rifle as I have several times the number you mention in cartridges from .22 CF up the .45 CF. When I lived in deer/elk country and was in hunting territory 5-10 minutes out of town I took a lot of different rifles of numerous cartridges out to "experiment" with. This was especially the case as a LEO when I had my own vehicle and could carry whatever "extra" guns I wanted (had a very benevolent and understanding sheriff) so I was able to "experiment" a lot on injured deer/elk and other animals. However, these days when I go hunting deer/elk, etc. I spend considerable $s and travel some distance to do it. Thus, even though I have considerable choice, I almost always reach for one of 3 of my big game hunting '06s and take along the loads mentioned above. I prefer a known rifle/cartridge in my hand that I have 100% confidence in these days.

BTW; the .264 and 7 mags are entirely adequate for caribou but if unguided and you go nose to nose at 25 yards with brear grizz like I did then those and even the '06 feel somewhat inadequate. If I go caribou hunting again where I did before I'll take my .375 H&H. Yes its a bit much for caribou but shots won't be over 300 yards and I'll feel a lot better in the thickets............pants won't need cleaning so much either..........

Larry Gibson

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
We are just really blessed to have soooo many choices.

Will soon, as soon as maybe this Sunday afternoon, be starting to built test loads for a new "06" and in doing so, Sgt.mike's two first choices will not even be on the table.

Not saying his choices are bad, and I suppose some day, if push comes to shove, I might even get there.

As per bullets and the partition, my experience is different, seeing over the years hits with the partition that would have been VERY wastefull with softer "J" bullets where the partition got the job done way down deep without excessive meat loss.

Now, if you want to talk meat waste, you should have seen the two bucks that ended up in my shop this past Fall, both shoulder shots, the "06" with a 165gr Nosler Partition, and the other with a 45/70 and a Hornady "gummy nose/berger on the hoof" bullet.

Huge difference in damage. In the race to cause the most damage, the gummy nose wins by a mile!

Wish I could go after caribou, too soon old, too late with the bucks!, but in my very limited experience on bull moose, they go down easy.

Big bone in there and a bad hit needs a good bullet/caliber, but anything like a good hit and the ones I saw turned up wimps. BIG as in large, wimps!

Isn't this a fun topic!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot