PDA

View Full Version : LLA is now a "hazard" ?

yovinny
03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
I was just trying to order another sizer kit from Midsouth Shooters.
Seems a sizer kit or a bottle of LLA comes up with a $25. hazard shipping charge ?
I just ordered one from them not more than a month ago and there was no hazard charge, nor was there a hazard charge on the one I just got this week from Ranch Dog.
I've e-mailed them, but I probably wont hear anything for a few days.
I'm wondering if DOT changed the hazard shipping specs again, or is this just a mistake on Midsouth's part ??

Cheers, YV

Haggway
03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Anything to get an extra tax or fee.

canyon-ghost
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Hazmat on powder is $35, might be just a mistake.

tomme boy
03-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I have always paid $25 for pwder. If it is more than that, they are making extra off it.

williamwaco
03-11-2012, 12:47 PM
I have always paid $25 for pwder. If it is more than that, they are making extra off it.

They ALWAYS make money off shipping.

Before I retired, I managed the shipping system for a company that did 3 billion dollars a year in sales of computer products.

Believe it or not, we made more money on the shipping charges than on the product itself.

Also:

A server cabinet with a magnetic latch on the door was hazmat because the magnet "could disrupt the navigation system".
The actual hazmat fee was $10.00 but we charged the customer $25.00.

Accept it. It is like buying a car. It is not a question of are you being scr... er-cheated. It is only a matter of how much.

jonas302
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
I would say its a mistake on there part Grafs and Midway don't show hazard charge for it although they list it as orm-d which may restrict USPS shipping

buck1
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Surely a mistake.

GLL
03-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I bought a LEE sizer kit from MidSouth two weeks ago and there was no Hazmat fee.

Jerry

John Boy
03-11-2012, 03:27 PM
I bought a LEE sizer kit from MidSouth two weeks ago and there was no Hazmat fee. I have close to 15 bottles of Lee Alox shipped directly from Lee Precision that came with the Lube/Sizers. No Hazmat! Something is wrong with those charging Hazmat

Here's the MIL-Spec sheet for Alox:
Transportation Data
================================================== ========
Trans Data Review Date: 95061
DOT PSN Code: AGD
DOT Proper Shipping Name: AEROSOLS, NON-FLAMMABLE,
DOT Class: 2.2
DOT ID Number: UN1950
DOT Label: NONFLAMMABLE GAS
IMO PSN Code: AIY
IMO Proper Shipping Name: AEROSOL DISPENSERS
IMO Regulations Page Number: 9022
IMO UN Number: 1950
IMO UN Class: 9
IMO Subsidiary Risk Label: -
IATA PSN Code: ANB
IATA UN ID Number: 1950
IATA Proper Shipping Name: AEROSOLS, 20, *
IATA UN Class: 2.2
IATA Label: NON-FLAMMABLE GAS
AFI PSN Code: HDO
AFI Prop. Shipping Name: COMPRESSED GAS, N.O.S.
AFI Class: 2.2
AFI ID Number: UN1956
AFI Basic Pac Ref: 6-6,6-8,6-10

Health Hazard Data
LD50-LC50 Mixture: UNKNOWN
Route Of Entry - Inhalation: NO
Route Of Entry - Skin: NO
Route Of Entry - Ingestion: NO
Health Haz Acute And Chronic: CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM EFFECTS.
Carcinogenicity - NTP: NO
Carcinogenicity - IARC: NO
Carcinogenicity - OSHA: NO
Explanation Carcinogenicity: NOT APPLICABLE

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/20/19926/msds/3vc4mil81309.pdf

yovinny
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Got this responce today. Seems like It's an IT issue.

There are no hazardous charges for lube shipped ground. However these items do fall under a different category if they are shipped air service. Eg. 2day three day or overnight. These items are also restricted for shipping through the US postal service. They restrict any items that are liquid from our account. These items should ship FedEx or UPS ground with no issue. If the hazardous fee hits your cart next time please post the order and I will look at it. Either way we will not charge the hazardous fee if it is a ground shipment. In the mean time I will pass this information on to our IT department. Thanks for your business.

DLCTEX
03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Order it from our own Lars and save money on price and shipping. Same product, just called Xlox due to copyright reasons. White Lable Lubes

Secondhand Bob
03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I've had problems getting LLA shipped up here to Alaska for some time now, over a year, from Midway. Just before Christmas the Mrs. couldn't get flavored extracts sent up. Something about enforcing existing regulations on hazardous stuff.{flamables, alcahol in the extracts} I need a sizer and have thought of asking if they would ship it without the alox.

Sonnypie
03-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Here is the MSDS (http://printfu.org/read/alox-606-55-d892.html?f=1qeXpurpn6Wih-SUpOGul6inh627xb02FoWmop-bqZuXqNimoLCH2oqg46yeoK6I3eHZ3KmllOvf3J7m0dPby9bfx 9vn3drt25PT4dad2MfpzpStu8W9qpibnaee3tjZo93J0pGx4g) on the sauce.

Liquid is one thing the USPS does not like.
And Mineral Spirits comes under a flammable substance.
So that's two strikes against it right there.

williamwaco
03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Order it from our own Lars and save money on price and shipping. Same product, just called Xlox due to copyright reasons. White Lable Lubes

Ditto, I use this stuff. As far as I can tell it is IDENTICAL to LLA.

And significantly less expensive.

Shiloh
03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Surely a mistake.

I agree.

Unless something has changed in the last 5 weeks, it is a mistake.

Shiloh