PDA

View Full Version : mini 14 rail ??

tanstafl10
03-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I am looking forward to receiving a Trijicon reflex sight that I purchased from HiVelocity here at Cast Boolits. I would like to mount it on my son's Mini 14...
-
Cannot find the right rail that would mount on Ruger's integral mounts and still allow use of open sights.
-
Anyone with any experiences to share on this project? In the past I have gone it alone and made purchases that were truly a waste of my money!!
-
This time I would like to get it right the first time. Any help will be appreciated.

Ickisrulz
03-11-2012, 12:31 PM
One option:

http://ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm

Larry Gibson
03-11-2012, 02:51 PM
I highly recommend the Amega Mount; www.amegamount.com

They are extremely well made and hell for stout. When correctly mounted (easy to follow instructions) they will not come lose. A little pricey but well worth it in the long run. Web site shows one on the Mini14.

Here is one on my M1 Carbine and I'm getting one for the M1A next. The base replaces the handguard (does on the Mini14 also). I stopped in their store last week and saw all the models....all very, very well made. With the sight off the issue sights are readily useable.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2012, 07:02 PM
If you don't want the Scout style forward mounting position, there is one available from Brownells that clamps onto the existing scope mount points and provides a Picatinny rail directly above the receiver in normal scope location.

I actually have one that came with my rifle when I bought it, but got Ruger Rings to mount my Scope instead.

It is made by Warne, so it's a good thing.

Brownells part number is 947-010-000. $45.00.

Randy

tanstafl10
03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
IKISRULZ---went to that site and examined things---- not sure???
-
LARRYGIBSON--- went to that site and examined things--- really neat, but not sure I want to go that route
-
WRBUCHANAN,

That's what I was thinking of.....
-
Since you have one, let me ask you if you can use the open sights when the Warne is mounted??? or are they obstructed by the Warne??????
-
-
Thanks to all 3 of you for responding. It takes up your time and I want you to know that I appreciate it. All is good food for thought.

W.R.Buchanan
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes, you can. The aperature of the Peep/line of sight is about 3/16 -1/4" above the top of the rail. My rifle is a late model 2005 Mini 14. I don't know about an earlier Mini14's sights

The mount uses 4 "buttons" to engage the Ruger mounting points. the buttons oppose each other and are held in place by screws.

When I got mine it was not set up right, it did not have the buttons bottomed out on one side and the screws tight. They had clamped the mount from both sides, instead of having the buttons bottomed out on one side and clamping with the other side which would allow you to take the mount off and have a decent chance of it repeating it's original position when reinstalled.

So even if you needed the Trij and rail taken off due to a problem so you could use the iron sights, you would probably be in the ball park when reinstalling.

It's always a crapshoot when reinstalling a scope. Some mounts repeat others do not. You never know until you try it out. I think if the Warne Mount was installed with the buttons bottomed out and tight on one side, that it might repeat. Like I said,,, roll the dice.

If the mount was not removed, then the type of rings would dictate whether or not it would repeat. You need rings that have one side of the claw as an integral part of the ring and the other side acting as the clamp. Then as long as you get the scope in the same place fore and aft as before, it should repeat it's position. Split type mounts that allow both sides of the claw to move probably will not repeat. Also one piece mounts are more like to repeat than two independent rings clamped to the scope.

Nowadays things like scope mounts and the receivers they go onto are all machined by CNC machinery, so it's a good bet they are as true to the drawings as you can get, and this kind of insures that when you attach your sight that it is in line with the barrel or at least close. 30 years ago this was not the case, and getting the scope in perfect alignment with the bore was a trial and error proceedure. If you removed it you got to start over.

The first pic is my Mini showing the Ruger rings, the second is the Anshutz one piece mount, which clamps onto the 11mm dovetails on my Mauser ES340B. That Scope was zeroed in 1977 and has been off and on the gun 100 times easily in the last 30+ years. The zero is unchanged, and this is totally due to the design of the one piece mount where one side of the clamping function is completely fixed and the other side has the moving clamps, and the whole mount spans both scope rings lengthwise. The mount's position simply cannot change with relation to the gun unless it is severly abused.

Randy

Wrbjr
03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Tanstafl10, I have a Mini-14 that has yet to be scoped. I am in the same situation you are. I lean towards the scout rail (pricey) because I have a model 180. My reservation is never having actually handled a Mini-14 with one mounted. I can't imagine the sight picture being viewed that far forward. I have the option to mount an optics in the rear if I remove the rear sight. So... what to do ... hmmmmmmmm Wish there was some way to get our hands on others already mounted and see how it feels and performs... In a perfect world...

tanstafl10
03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Wrbjr,

Yes a "test drive" would be nice. It's a good thing that half the fun is in the planniing