PDA

View Full Version : Should I run to - or from?

Ken73
03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm new to casting boolits, but have been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as I can. The one thing that has me worried though is the (apparent) lack of availability of lead (or suitable alloys) for casting. I've been hunting around and it doesn't seem like the local tire (tahr!) shops want to give it up (epa concerns?) even for a price, and I've called the local metal recycler only to be ignored (no callback.) I don't want to pay new prices as that defeats the purpose of casting IMO.

I found an ad on Craigslist for lead wheel weights not far from me, the guy claims he has around 500lbs of WW and wants $0.75 a pound - along with a Lee melting pot for $20 and a "couple of Lee molds" for $5 each. He doesn't know what the molds are for yet (I asked him to specify what they were) but haven't heard back. He said he also has some pre-smelted/fluxed ingots as well for $1 a pound.

FYI, I have a couple of 45 cal black powder pistols and I bought a Lee mold for them, but have yet to use it as I just moved last year and I'm still building up my shop. I just bought a 300 Blackout AR kit from Model 1 Sales (16", 1-8 twist) that I'd like to cast boolits for as well. I don't plan (though I won't rule it out) on feeding it anything other than subsonics; I've been eyeing the NOE and Accurate Molds selections for molds. I'd also like to cast some of the basics; 45 ACP, 9x19, and maybe even some 380 ACP. Potentially even some rifle rounds (7.62x51, 6mm, 7mm, etc.)

So - my question is - knowing what I intend to use it for - would you run from this deal, or to it? I asked him how much for the lot (all of it) but he couldn't come up with an number.

turmech
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
for me .50 per pound for raw WW is my max. At this price I would also want older all lead WW. Newer WW would include quite a bit of zinc and steel WW and I would only pay .25 to .30.

I have been running adds on Craigslist offering to pay .50 per lb and have bought 150 lbs of old Lead WW.

Ingots go for about 1.00 per lb.

jsizemore
03-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Since you don't have anything to work with then the low cost of the pot and molds (if their in good shape) can offset the high price of the WW. If the WW are mixed at 20-25% Zn or Fe then your at close to $1/lb or better. If the molds are not pristine then your buying a headache. But what are you expecting for $5. Can't hurt to go look and maybe do a little tire kicking. Lose a little gas and time but that's what a hobby's about. Clean ingots go for a buck a pound shipped on this site.

Buy good stuff once and enjoy.

chambers
03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
I would ask if price is something to talk about first( maybe .35-.45 cents/#), tell him cash sale see what he says. You are going to end up with about 75% of the usable product after you smelt down due to non usable WW byproduct. Start slow, you may want to buy just finished smelted lead for a $ 1.00/# and try casting first. It is a great hobby and you most likely will hoard material like everyone else once you get started.

44fanatic
03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
My guess is that you will get 300-400lbs of good lead out of those buckets. 300lbs if they have been picked up in the past few years, 400 if they have been sitting around for years. I believe that in this case, the seller is not the original owner of the equipment so he may not have in depth knowledge of what is on hand (IE picked up from an estate sale, family member passed, etc).

A few other things to think about:
Do you already have a means to smelt and ingotize the WW's? If not how much is this going to cost you.

How much do you shoot? For some of us, 100lbs of lead may last us a lifetime (5600 9mm (125gr) boolits or 3000+ 45ACP (230gr)). For me, I have more lead than I will ever use but I enjoy casting, reloading and seeing the finished product.

One thing to note, free/cheap lead can usually be found, you just have to spend the time to find it....some places you may only get a handful of WW's for free, others will want to charge you an arm and a leg.

The least you can do is offer a lowball price...If the seller accepts, you will have enough lead to get you addicted.

ssnow
03-11-2012, 11:50 AM
There is no shortage of lead, only a shortage of cheap or free lead :) You can buy all you want from Rotometals, it's just not cheap :) As previously mentioned, you can usually buy ingots in the S&S sub-forum for around 1.00 per pound.

That being the case, that is the number I use as a comparator when looking at scrap lead, how much cheaper than 1.00 per pound, and whether or not it is worth the extra work.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-11-2012, 12:41 PM
If you decided to get into casting, let all of your friends know that you need lead. Lead can show up in the strangest of places. Two weeks ago, a friend at work was remodeling a rental unit of his and found some lead pipe in the crawl space. I got 25# of free, pure lead. You never know.

HeavyMetal
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
First I'd go check out the deal, specifically the molds. Don't agree to a buy or a price untill FTF!

Molds may be good or bad, first clue is he has no idea what they are, which may mean he's just reselling a good deal he knows nothing about.

Go check it out then make an offer. .75 a pound isn't a bad price in LA

Ken73
03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but most of that has to do with me not having a shooting bench built. I'm on 6 acres out in the country so I can walk out back and shoot all I want but as I mentioned above, I just moved here a year ago and I'm in the middle of building out my shop. I expect to shoot a lot more in the next few years. I do have a nice dutch oven that I rescued (my wife was about to throw it away) and a propane crawfish boiler to do smelting at least.

I just got an e-mail from the guy:

Have the following for sale:
Lee Production Pot Four Furnace 110 Volt (older, about 1/3 full of lead) - $20
Lee 2-cavity mold 90334 (I think: 429-208-WC) older, well used - $5
Lee 2-cavity mold 90338 (I think: C429-240-SWC GC) older, well used - $5
Lee TL452-230-SWC Double Cavity Mould (looks new) - $13
Also have lead:
Wheel Weights: $0.75 per pound
Smelted and Fluxed stick on wheel weights: $1 per pound
Random lead (range pickup and such): $0.50 per pound
Also have other reloading stuff if you are interested.

I suspect you're right about the family member passing but I don't know for sure. I think this is probably a good opportunity for me to jump in and at least cast some more boolits for my 45 cal black powder pistols.

The one new(er?) mold is apparently a 230 grain 45 cal semi-wadcutter - which is something I'd like to cast for practice shooting my 1911's - $13 doesn't seem to be a bad deal so I might pick that one up too along with the melting pot.

Thanks for the great advice guys! I'm excited about getting into this and loading cheap so I can shoot more once I get the place setup. I've got a ton of equipment already (my father taught me reloading but haven't done it in many years and he's since passed and his equipment is gone from a house fire.) I've been trying to read on here to understand the why's and why not's as much as the do's and do not's.

sparky45
03-11-2012, 01:36 PM
I bought some last week from a tire shop a quarter mile from my house. Paid .15 cents a pound and got a 5 gal steel bucket to carry them in. This tire shop does all the large truck tires including semi's so the weights are kinda big. I wouldn't offer the guy any more than .50 cents a pound, he won't get that much at a salvage yard.

fredj338
03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
IT depends. At 75c/#, that may be a bargain where you or I live. Many guys are selling ww alloy all day for $1/#. Going forward, the lead ww is gonna be a dead dinosaur so today 75c/# may seem high, 5 yrs from now, it may seem cheap. Around here, IF you can get a bucket of ww, you'll be lucky to get 50% return in lead, all zinc & steel nowdays & will be across the nation soon. I don't actively search anymore, price of gas is just not cost effective, but if at a place that may have lead, I always ask. COnsider 30#/1000 bullets on avg, 500# of alloy doesn't sound like much.

MT Gianni
03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Location, Location, Location. If you can't get lead anywhere else, $.75 is a great price. If you can buy it for 50 cents it isn't. Lead ww are fast disappearing. I would rather look back @ 75 cents than look at $2 a lb shipped for a certified alloy.

Defcon-One
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
You didn't say where you are? At least post a state, maybe city and state, so that someone close can maybe help you out.

Here in western Virginia I get more Clip-on and Stick-on wheel weights than I could ever use. I usually pay about .25 cents a pound, (sometimes less, sometimes more). I have 900 lbs. of sorted and un-smelted COWW in my garage right now. I also have 41 pounds of Stick-on lead (near pure), sorted, cleaned and smelted into ingots. This, I would sell to someone local. I do not want to ship it!

Also, if you don't know the guy, I'd only buy the un-smelted Lead WW so that you know what you are getting. Obviously, Zinc and Steel are of no use to a bullet caster so watch out for them. In my state, Zinc and Steel are usually only about 3% to 5% of the bucket so they are not as big a deal but I do have to sort them out.

Ken73
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM
You didn't say where you are? At least post a state, maybe city and state, so that someone close can maybe help you out.

Sorry about that, I put my location in my profile so it shows up on my posts. Basically I'm about 50 miles west of Houston. There's some large truck tire places around here that I might give a try as well.

mac1911
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I would at least go check out what he has. It might all be sorted lead WWs. look at the whole package and see what else he has. GET YOUR EYES ON IT 1st.
I went to check out a simular deal. later found out the 2 55gallon drums filled to the brim with wheel weights (2001) after makeing the deal, the wife says. Hey while he's here why dont you give him the rest of the junk...which included several thousand factory FMJ, boxes of really nice holsters, tons of gun cleaning stuff and 3 really cool old pellet pistols....2 years later I tripled my money on the lead(was not casting at the time just scraping) and made a good amount on the holsters.

Defcon-One
03-11-2012, 06:31 PM
....I put my location in my profile so it shows up on my posts....

Thanks, I guess that rules out a FTF delivery from me!

Truck weights are large and a great find. Those dealers may be more willing to work with you. The best advice that I can give you is to let people know that you are looking for scrap lead for your "Hobby". You don't need to tell them casting bullets unless they ask and you have a good feeling about them.

The only other thing that I would say is keep your eyes open and don't give up. One lucky day can turn you from a frustrated scrounger into a Scrap Lead Mogul.

Good Luck!

dbarnhart
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
There are several reputable people here on this forum selling ingotized wheel weights and range lead for about a dollar per pound including shipping. That should be your benchmark. (BYW, I am quite happy to pay that price. It works out to be about $33 for a thousand .45 acp 230gr boolits - far less than the $120/thousand I was paying for FMJ.)

canyon-ghost
03-11-2012, 07:34 PM
500 lbs isn't that big a purchase. My first was a bucket (150#) and then what one fella had in the garage (213#). It's about enough to get a good start and not worry about needing lead. I'd do it, although I'd be cautious. I'm not used to big cities like Houston.

My vote: run to it!

Ken73
03-11-2012, 08:03 PM
I made arrangements to go see him this Friday; he's off work and I can take off early enough to go see him. I told him I'm interested in at least the pot melter and some lead, and potentially one of the molds (the new one.) It'll at least get me to a point where I can cast some lead balls for my BP revolvers.

Meanwhile I'm also going to see if I can hit up these truck tire places. I also fish, so I've been telling people that I cast my own fishing weights and spinner baits (something else my father and I used to do as well.)

turmech
03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
The best way to find a fair price for raw WW in your area is to call a local scrap yard and ask what they are paying. They will tell you because they get asked all the time by the people who sell to them (these sellers will sell when the price is high). In my area the scrap yard pays .45 per lb. This Is why I would be willing to pay .50.

I see several people mention buying ingots from WW for 1.00 per lb shipped. I have not found them that cheep. I have seen them 1.00 per lb without shipping. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for the 1.00 shipped.

dbarnhart
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I see several people mention buying ingots from WW for 1.00 per lb shipped. I have not found them that cheep. I have seen them 1.00 per lb without shipping. I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for the 1.00 shipped.

Both Muddy Creek Sam and TheCaptain are sponsors and usually have lead. I just bought lead from John Z Sr for that price. I see that Possum and Big Brass ones are also selling lead.

For me, I consider this a better deal than chasing after lead (particularly with today's gas prices.) I do have a plumber friend who saves lead for me but there is not enough to really count for anything. I have a client who is a metal recycler and I can buy either wheel weights or soft lead from him for about 60 cents/pound but by the time I'm done ingotizing it I think I'm better off buying the ingots for $1/pound shipped.

I've had very good luck buying ingotized range lead, BTW.

Bob Krack
03-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I suspect you're right about the family member passing but I don't know for sure. I think this is probably a good opportunity for me to jump in and at least cast some more boolits for my 45 cal black powder pistols.

The one new(er?) mold is apparently a 230 grain 45 cal semi-wadcutter - which is something I'd like to cast for practice shooting my 1911's - $13 doesn't seem to be a bad deal so I might pick that one up too along with the melting pot.
The BP revolvers I am familiar with in .45 cal require .457-.458 projectiles.

My 1911 loves the Lee truncated cone boolit.

If you are fairly confident you can recognize what you are buying in the actual makeup of the lead, .75 is not at all bad in a short supply region.

Good luck,

Bob

turmech
03-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Both Muddy Creek Sam and TheCaptain are sponsors and usually have lead. I just bought lead from John Z Sr for that price. I see that Possum and Big Brass ones are also selling lead.

For me, I consider this a better deal than chasing after lead (particularly with today's gas prices.) I do have a plumber friend who saves lead for me but there is not enough to really count for anything. I have a client who is a metal recycler and I can buy either wheel weights or soft lead from him for about 60 cents/pound but by the time I'm done ingotizing it I think I'm better off buying the ingots for $1/pound shipped.

I've had very good luck buying ingotized range lead, BTW.

I did a search of what the first three had listed for sale. Two sellers were selling lead but not WW and one seller was currently out of stock. I would stock up and gladly pay $1.00 per lb shipped for WW. Most of the WW ingots I find are more like $1.30 per lb when you figure shipping.

Ken73
03-12-2012, 09:12 AM
The BP revolvers I am familiar with in .45 cal require .457-.458 projectiles.

I think mine are actually 44 cal (at least that's what they're listed as) but they use .454" projectiles.

If you are fairly confident you can recognize what you are buying in the actual makeup of the lead, .75 is not at all bad in a short supply region.

I read up on how to identify the different wheel weights and I'm hoping I can. If I get some zinc, I'm not too worried as I want to do some aluminum/allow casting later on as well (that of course, goes with the whole "get my shop up and running" thing!)

Echo
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't shoot as much as I'd like, but most of that has to do with me not having a shooting bench built. I'm on 6 acres out in the country so I can walk out back and shoot all I want but as I mentioned above, I just moved here a year ago and I'm in the middle of building out my shop. I expect to shoot a lot more in the next few years. I do have a nice dutch oven that I rescued (my wife was about to throw it away) and a propane crawfish boiler to do smelting at least.

I just got an e-mail from the guy:

Thanks for the great advice guys! I'm excited about getting into this and loading cheap so I can shoot more once I get the place setup. I've got a ton of equipment already (my father taught me reloading but haven't done it in many years and he's since passed and his equipment is gone from a house fire.) I've been trying to read on here to understand the why's and why not's as much as the do's and do not's.

Ken, my suggestion is to offer to take the whole shooting match, but only if he will take .50/lb for the WW's.
(Nice neck of the woods you're in. My aunt Edie was from Sealy)

Ken73
03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Echo, I actually did ask him what he'd consider for the whole batch, but he couldn't come up with a number. I'm going to take some cash on Friday and see what he'll give up for it.

We just moved out here to Sealy last year, enjoying every bit of it. Not crazy like Houston!

Ken73
03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Just got home a bit ago with my loot! Met up with the gentleman and he's a fellow caster that's cleaning out his stash for a few extra bucks. I bought the 45 SWC mold, the lead pot, and about 70 pounds of smelted ingots from him for $100. Might take the pot out on the patio this evening and see if it'll melt what was left in it and possibly even see if I can cast a few boolits! He had a LOT of range lead and wheel weights, but I don't have my burner (need to get it back) to do any smelting so I opted for the pre-smelted muffins he had made. All-in-all the guy was very nice and had quite a bit of stuff he was cleaning out (including some reloading supplies.)

ssnow
03-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a steal to me:smile: I bet you are anxious to get started.

Bob Krack
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
I think mine are actually 44 cal (at least that's what they're listed as) but they use .454" projectiles.
Both of my old .44 cap and ball revolvers slugged at .452 but I could never shave lead all around with any smaller than .454 but .457 worked much better.

Bob

Elkins45
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM
for me .50 per pound for raw WW is my max. At this price I would also want older all lead WW. Newer WW would include quite a bit of zinc and steel WW and I would only pay .25 to .30.

I have been running adds on Craigslist offering to pay .50 per lb and have bought 150 lbs of old Lead WW.

Ingots go for about 1.00 per lb.

I scored some that way a couple of years ago but when I have tried it recently my ads have been flagged within just a few hours "because lead is a hazardous substance."

Eddie2Gun
03-26-2012, 06:44 PM
I started out checking with all of my friends and relatives, letting them know that I was always in the market for lead. Every now and again a 5 gallon bucket comes my way. Stop by all of the local tire stores, you might get lucky.

badbob454
03-26-2012, 09:43 PM
if you look , take a pair of pliars , as you are new you may want to make sure most , if not all, are lead . if you cant put a decent dent in all the wheelweights ,some arent lead.. dont buy or negotiate a much lower price , 75 c a pound is high when you can buy it here for 1.00 a pound and save at least a day melting skiming mixing , stiring fluxing ,casting in ingots etc etci would pay maybe 50c a lb for 90% plus lead wheelweights , i wouldnt pay more than that , or goto the local recycler take some beer soda and talk to them about buying some ... also black powder guns need soft lead , like stick on wheelweights , much softer than clip ons