PDA

View Full Version : This weeks SCORE !!

SWANEEDB
03-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Have a friend who bought out several old printing businesses a few years ago, still had some lino in storage, now most of it is in my garage, a little over 1/2 ton, have been sorting the print out from all the spacers and the large print blocks, I think I have enough now, now to put it into ingots so I can mix it with w/w's. Should keep my molds busy for awhile.

clodhopper
03-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Good for you there is a lot of stuff out there hiding under a layer of dust in somebody's garage and old busineses

mfraser264
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Well it was a good day for you, congrats. I let everyone I know including work folks that I am looking for lead and just sit back and wait. This isn't something you can make happen but from time to time some real treasures have come in. Enjoy the LT!!!

Ole
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
My advice:

Leave the printer's lead in it's virgin form. If you ever have to trade it, if it's still linotype, people will recognize what it is. If it's in ingots, who knows what it is, right?

It's not hard to weigh out 8oz/1lb/3lbs of lino if you leave it in the strips/spacers. Just leave it and don't make ingots out of it. There is really no upside to ingotizing lino.

Just my opinion. Yours may vary. :drinks:

jsizemore
03-11-2012, 11:24 PM
+1....

cf_coder
03-12-2012, 12:33 AM
No kidding! I came into an estate sale of some lead from an old time caster. Well... pretty much none of it is marked. so I have around 600 pounds of ?????. I've been organizing it and finally got around to smelting some of it down today. I got golden ingots from a bunch of it. It was obviously full of tin as my melt pretty much immediately started glazing over with tin as soon as it came up to temperature... Now the question of the day is... how much tin? There were a few bars marked 50/50, 70/30, 60/40 and I'm assuming that is a tin ratio. But, who knows. The stuff I smelted down today was totally unmarked.

Good catch on the lino! This old timer had around 25 pounds of lino in his stash as well...