PDA

View Full Version : Rem 788- Out of favor?

waltp
03-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I have been away from this sport for seven years and have just gone back to it in a big way. This forum has been a very valuable resource!! Here is my question: In checking the stats on the current CBA postal and club matches, I noticed that the Rem 788s have disappeared. They used to be popular with the factory class shooters. I have two minty examples, one in .308 and the other in 30-30; both hold an inch at 100 yards. Any opinions on why they are now out of favor?
Thanks.

:castmine:

STP
03-25-2007, 10:31 AM
I can`t speak to the CBA but when I was a member, they were a constant topic for discussion. (ie: lock time...rear lugs) Have had 5 here at any one time, my 1st year production 30-30 remains. My best results was with a borrowed 44Mag, it tossed one hole groups at 100yds. Sadly, I can`t convince the owner to part with it. I`d guess that if folks would simply work with them with an understanding of their "limitations", they would remain a more common topic.
Too many try to work with them at the upper limits of the caliber`s pressure limts, and fail to find a sane workable load for their pursuits. I grudgingly agree it`s trigger w/o modifications is it`s weak point. However, if it were one`s only rifle, that would be a non-factor. But how fun is just one rifle??
At our local gunshow I met a guy that said he collected 788`s. I said OK....and?? Well, he said he had one of each already and was currently working on accumulating a second run of the same. Amazing...

Junior1942
03-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I have been away from this sport for seven years and have just gone back to it in a big way. This forum has been a very valuable resource!! Here is my question: In checking the stats on the current CBA postal and club matches, I noticed that the Rem 788s have disappeared. They used to be popular with the factory class shooters. I have two minty examples, one in .308 and the other in 30-30; both hold an inch at 100 yards. Any opinions on why they are now out of favor?
Thanks.

:castmine:I don't think they ever went out of favor. Remington don't make them anymore, and the guys who own one plan to keep it. In other words, there's not many out there shooting. They're in closets and safes.

versifier
03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
In my completely prejudiced opinion, they were the best rifle that Remington has ever produced. I'm still kicking myself for selling my .30-30 twenty years ago in a moment of poverty and weakness. The .308 and the .22-250 are my favorites and won't be leaving my posession until death us do part. I'd snap up another in any chambering for a reasonable price.

buster
03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree I have three. Two 30/30,s one 243 that Ijust bought. I bought two in 6mm back in 70 and 80,s and sold both, wish I had them back, shot 1/2 inch all day.

DLCTEX
03-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I had one in 222 that I regularly kick myself for letting a friend talk me out of it. He kept about a year, then sold it without letting me know it was for sale. Guess he didn't remember how hard it was to persuade me to let him have it. Dale

onceabull
03-25-2007, 03:15 PM
My view is that all the good publicity escalated 788 values to the point that only the truly committed will pay what it takes nowadays. As inplied prevously here,mine probably next sells at the estate Auction.. If you read/here little on the 788's,consider the cases of the Win.54's in 30/30,or a Remington-Lee 30/30..!! Somedays I fantasize that I'm the last living owner of both those..!! :roll: --Onceabull

Doughty
03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
waltp,

In my opinion there are several reasons why you don't see many 788s being used in CBA matches.

1. The prices on them keeps going up. Not as relatively cheap (I mean inexpensive) as they used to be.

2. More and more have been altered so that they can't be used in Production class anymore.

3. Changes in Production class rules gave an edge to the "varmint" weight guns; in particuliar the Savage.

4. "An inch at a hundred yards" won't win many matches any more.

floodgate
03-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I managed to dispose of my 788 in .30-30 eight or ten years back, at only a bit less than I had invested it the three extra magazines I tracked down for it (they went for $75 - $100 even then). Why? The wretched trigger pull, and the lack of a drop-in replacement, or advice as to correcting the original within my severely limited 'smithing skills. But I DO still regret its passing.

floodgate

Junior1942
03-25-2007, 04:22 PM
>The wretched trigger pull, and the lack of a drop-in replacement, or advice as to correcting the original

I put a Canjar set trigger on my 788 in 222 Rem. 25 years ago????

9.3X62AL
03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
I have two of these currently--one in 243 that will STAY, and another in 22-250 that has been a point of vacillation for a couple years. It was shot A LOT before I got it, and its throat is "Weatherbied" somewhat. If I sneak Sierra 60 grain HP's out to 2.460" OAL, they shoot splendidly--but at best it becomes a 2-shooter due to mag length restrictions. I just about convince myself to have the thing re-tubed or re-bored to 250 Savage......and a range day with the thing and the resulting 3/4" 100 yard groups blows that plan all apart. I even offered it for sale at a fair full-disclosure (but not cut-rate) price, and no takers. The thing still shoots, so my actions--"leave well enough alone"--might indeed be louder than words.

My first 788 in 22-250 was the most accurate rifle in this caliber that I've owned. This second one is very close to--but not quite--as good. There were a couple other variants in 22-250 between the 788's that were disappointments. One of those, a Rem heavy-barrelled 700--was a real dog. The other--a Ruger 77 with stainless heavy barrel didn't stay long enough to really work out......but its initial work wasn't promising.

The 788's shoot very well in every example I've owned. I think people know this, and the rifles seldom come up for sale--they get used. They work. I suspect that 22-250 of mine will stay in harness at my house for the foreseeable future. It has its warts, but accuracy isn't one of them.

Bass Ackward
03-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Out of favor? Sure. They are all defective. Bolts on the wrong danged side.

James Wisner
03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
The 788 was available in 6mm and 308 in the LEFT HAND form. but do note that the bolt handle and safety were on the left hand side while the ejection port was on the right hand side. This is so that only a few parts were affected in the change form one side to the other.

This topic is rather interesting as to the fact that I see a LOT of 788 guns in for repair. Normally about 3 - 4 a month. It might be that I am the only one that has made new reproduction bolts, and will rehead one if blown up. I also repair, and or replace a lot of bolt handles.

Yes the main cause of problems with this rilfe is the guy who reloads as hot and as much as he can. Using normal loads and common sense these guns will last most peoples life times.

It has taken a number of years but now I have finally aquired a sample of one each of the calibers and right hand and left hand actions. My little boy seems to favor the left side so I keeping the left hand 308 back for him. While I will take some time to play with the 44 and 30-30 this summer.

Just recently Gun Parts Corp has started reproducing the 6mm and 308 size magazines for this rilfe, so there is a strong following for them.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
www.wisnersinc.com

Jack Stanley
03-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Jim , do you know anyone that is making the ejector for the 30-30 ? Years ago , I got a replacement for mine from Jack First but I don't know if they are available anymore .
I use mine with mind cast bullets most of the time but would like to have some backup bolt parts on hand just in case something breaks .

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
I have never seen a 788 in 30/30 in Australia, but I will one day! After reading about your 44s I might just have to add that to my quest. I would also like one like the one on Col Harris' Cast Bullet book in 35/30-30 I just stare at that cover some days!

I've never owned a 788, they faded from the scene before I had enough disposable bucks. Never see them for sale much. There is one in 243 in Sydney and I just got off the cell phone after getting them to put it aside. I'll check it out later in the week. It will be good though as the father and son team at this shop are real straight up and refuse to buy guns which aren't up to scratch. They give a 12month warranty on all used guns. It has Weaver bases fitted, I have a spare 4x Bushnell Banner scope with the post and crosshair that I like, 200x new brass, dies and a thousand odd J bullets and a Lyman Loverin style mould. seems a shame to just have them laying there on the shelf doesn't it?

This should make a good knockaround walkabout rifle, all I need are a set of rings and I will arm wrestle them into throwing in a pair with a bit of luck.

Dale53
03-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I have owned two 788's. One was a .308 with a "rough" stock that some "Bubba" had really screwed up trying to install sling swivels. You wouldn't believe this "craftsman's" work. Ug-g--g-ly! However, the dern thing shot extremely well. I mean match rifle well. Finally, I got ashamed of it's stock, had a really nice 700 Varmint in .308, so I sold the 788.

I looked and looked and finally found a 30-30 at a decent price. It's still around here, somewhere[smilie=1:. No, I am not really interested in selling it.

Dale53

Buckshot
03-26-2007, 04:11 AM
..............Our old rangemaster collected them. He had at least one in every cartridge it was offered in. He had a duplicate in 44 mag re-barreled and chambered to 454 Casull by Pachmeyer. My first purchased deer rifle was a 243 Rem 788. I paid $125 for it, wearing a Universal fixed 4X scope and spare magazine. That was in 1975.

...............Buckshot

KCSO
03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
The 788's went to the collectors status and average guys can't afford them now days. They use to sell for $99 with a scope at the discoult stores and now you have most of that in a rarer 788 magazine. It's a shame as I always thought they were one of the best factory rifles made. The only weak point on the whole gun was the brazed on bolt handle that occasionally came off. My buddy had a 222 that we bedded into a Fajen stock and it was his favorite varmit rifle for 25 years.

JohnSmiles
03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I have one in .223 I bought 20-25 years ago.
Barely used, great shooter.
I would love to come across a 44 in that model.
Or in the Ruger 77.

9.3X62AL
03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Just recently Gun Parts Corp has started reproducing the 6mm and 308 size magazines for this rilfe, so there is a strong following for them.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith
www.wisnersinc.com

Now, THAT is some good news. A spare mag or two would be right fine indeed.

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2007, 11:54 PM
I'll get a spare as well, That would be good, I hate the thought of scrambling through the bush and over rocks with no spare, especially if the mag is rare!
Mick.

Jack Stanley
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Being left handed and broke in the late seventies , about the only game in town for me was a 788 with the bolt on the left side and .308 chambering . As finaces improved I found a six millimeter and another .308 , both with the bolt on my side :-D
When Remington introduce the 700 in .308 as an option , I bought one of the first ones . I still have it and wish I could say the same about all those lefties :roll: When I came to my senses I did manage to find a 30-30 and a well tuned .223 that are special in their own rights .
The thirty caliber just loves the hundred fifty-five grain Loverin design and will drill one hole groups at thirty yards using the peep sight on it . I don't recall the powder charge but it's a light one using 700-X and Red dot works good too .
The .223 seems to shoot everything well but doesn't have any real likes or dislikes as of yet .

Anybody know where to find some spare bolt parts for the 30-30 ?

Jack

Scrounger
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Being left handed and broke in the late seventies , about the only game in town for me was a 788 with the bolt on the left side and .308 chambering . As finaces improved I found a six millimeter and another .308 , both with the bolt on my side :-D
When Remington introduce the 700 in .308 as an option , I bought one of the first ones . I still have it and wish I could say the same about all those lefties :roll: When I came to my senses I did manage to find a 30-30 and a well tuned .223 that are special in their own rights .
The thirty caliber just loves the hundred fifty-five grain Loverin design and will drill one hole groups at thirty yards using the peep sight on it . I don't recall the powder charge but it's a light one using 700-X and Red dot works good too .
The .223 seems to shoot everything well but doesn't have any real likes or dislikes as of yet .

Anybody know where to find some spare bolt parts for the 30-30 ?

Jack

Try James Wisner (http://www.wisnersinc.com/), he's a member here and it seems I remember he said something about making parts for the 788.

wmitty
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
wisner's does have both the extractor and ejector for this bolt.

dk17hmr
03-30-2007, 12:08 AM
My dad traded one of my uncles a Ithica 66 20 gauge for the 308 788 that sits in his safe. It was my first deer rifle, when I bought my 25-06 I stopped using the 308 but it has made the trip to deer camp every year because everyone can shoot that gun very well, we feed her 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips and with my dad, my brother, or myself on the trigger we can put 3 shots inside 1 inch at 100 yards without any trouble.

It wears a Weaver k9 scope and until today hasnt seen a cast bullet, with a starting load I put 5 shots into 3" at 50 yards without much of a rest, I only loaded 10 rounds just to see what it would do, I was impressed. But then again you can put about any bullet down the barrel and have a good group with this rifle.

Four Fingers of Death
03-30-2007, 02:28 AM
I rang the gunstore where I reserved the 788x 243 with an unrelated query. They were glad to hear from me, they had made a mistake, the 788 was in 22/250 :( No good to me, already got a 220 Swift and a 22/250.

Back to the drawing board. I was going to search for mags last night and order one or two. I'm glad I ran out of steam and went to bed.

Alas, I am yet to savour the joys of 788 ownership!

Jack Stanley
03-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Scrounger , thanks for the heads up . I tried that page and it wouldn't come up . I'll try it again later .

Jack

Scrounger
03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Scrounger , thanks for the heads up . I tried that page and it wouldn't come up . I'll try it again later .

Jack

Just go to the Member's List here and find James Wisner and send him a PM. Here's the link to his web page again in case the first one got corrupted: http://www.wisnersinc.com
You do know it won't work if you are trying it in the "Today" format? You must go to the actual forum it is posted in. The link address is in a light blue color with a line under it there. Opened for me.

Jack Stanley
03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Got it that time Scrounger , Thanks .

Jack

versifier
04-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Mick,
I betcha dollars to donuts that the 788 will outshoot your other .22-250. The only ones that can even come close to mine in accuracy are real match rifles. It will hit golfballs at 400yds 2 out of 3 shots with Sierra 55gr GameKings and it's favorite load of IMR 3031. Not that I can do that every day, but the rifle sure can.

lovedogs
04-01-2007, 02:54 PM
An old friend who thought he was dying gave me one about 8 years ago. He didn't die but won't take the gun back, either. I don't think he ever cleaned the 788 .22-.250. He just overloaded and shot it. Who knows how many rounds.

It took forever to get the bbl. clean. It still fouls more than I like. The stock needed refinished. It was so bad I filled the gouges and painted it with a gritty epoxy paint from Brownell's. The old gun looks great now. But it's bbl.still fouls. It fits like it was custom-made. I replaced the trigger spring to get a nice, crisp 3 lb. pull. The trigger shape even fits perfectly. Even with it's easily-fouled bbl. it shoots ragged hole groups any time I want. I hate a rough bbl. but would be nuts to get rid of such a good shooter. I've had dozens of varmint rifles but none of the others will shoot groups of .431 in. at 200 yds. like this one will. It's the dangdest thing!

Four Fingers of Death
04-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Mick,
I betcha dollars to donuts that the 788 will outshoot your other .22-250. The only ones that can even come close to mine in accuracy are real match rifles. It will hit golfballs at 400yds 2 out of 3 shots with Sierra 55gr GameKings and it's favorite load of IMR 3031. Not that I can do that every day, but the rifle sure can.

No doubt you are right Versifer, the other rifle is a real pretty post 64 Model 70 Winchester. I'll be dropping into the shop tomorrow and will have a real good look at it. You never know.
Mick.

Junior1942
04-02-2007, 07:44 AM
I used to have a 24x target scope on my 788 in 222 Rem. I had a lot of fun laying beer bottles on their sides at 100 yards with the mouths facing me. The scope's little 1/8" dot was zeroed 1/4" high at 100 yards. I'd tell guys, "Watch this. I'm gonna put bullets through the necks of those bottles and bust out the bottle bottoms with out busting the necks."

They'd think I was crazy. But I'd put the dot on the bottom edge of a bottle neck, touch the Canjar set trigger, and, Oops! There goes another bottle bottom!

buster
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Just bought 243 about a month ago at a pawn shop for 280.00. Ordered some brass and some dies and been working on some loads,so far Deputy Al's 12gr of 2400 looks good.http://buster