PDA

View Full Version : Teachers take a field trip to the range !

Patrick L
03-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Some of you that know me know that in my other life (the one I am forced to lead in order to earn a living and finance my shooting life) I am a high school music teacher. Political climate as it is here in the great Northeast, most of us that enjoy shooting are pretty quiet about it. Not super secret, but we don't wear our Charlton Heston T shirts to work.

Anyhow, this past Friday was a Superintendent's conference day, or more commonly known as a staff development day. The theme this year was wellness. We were offered glut of workshops to attend in order to improve our general health, mental state, etc. Under this very broad umbrella, there were workshops on everything from stress relief, lowfat cooking, yoga, gardening, pottery, you name it. Apparently, hobby type workshops were featured because people with an outlet for the stresses/tensions of work tend to cope better, and are more productive.

I was SHOCKED to see among the course offerings a trip to a local rod & gun club to tour the facilities and have a supervised exposure to .22 rifle shooting, trap, skeet, and sporting clays. It seems one of our teachers, a female elementary reading teacher is very involved in smallbore position shooting. She competes at the state level and from what I understand places quite well. I know this girl because she is also a cello player and has performed on many of our faculty recitals. I never had any idea she was a shooter. She proposed this idea to our administration and they got behind it and endorsed it.

About 40 teachers signed up, most (30+) with no firearms experience. The hosting club showed an NRA safety video, and provided eye & ear protection, all ammunition and guns, and lots of volunteers to demonstrate, coach, and supervise. They probably had 20 guys there to tend to 40 shooters, so there was lots of one on one instruction. In small groups shooters visited the rifle range where the took 10 shots at steel silhouettes, the skeet range where they took about 5 shots at station 7, the trap range where they took about 5 shots from the center pad, and a sporting clays station where there was a fairly basic outgoing pair.

It was really great to see so many young people taking their first shots. Grins were spanning ear to ear. The club was to be commended for setting up scenarios that were fairly easy to be successful at, and also for using reactive type targets that provided entertaining results when hit. These people had FUN! Since I was an experienced shooter, I was suddenly everyone's hero. People that I knew professionally for several years now saw me in a very different (and positive) light. I extended offers to several to take them shooting in the future, and I suspect several will be taking me up on it.

I think we gained a few to our ranks yesterday. It was truly refreshing to see a school district take a very objective and open minded stance on what has regrettably become a somewhat controversial topic. Makes me think there might be hope yet.

MT Gianni
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Even if they never become gun owners they should look back with an understanding of the fun that it is. Gianni.

hiram
03-25-2007, 10:57 AM
I am a HS teacher in Brooklyn, NY. A number of my peers know that I am a shooter. I don't have any problems with my peers because of this.

I have taken a couple of people shooting in the past who were not interested in firearms, but after the smoke cleared, they said they had a good time. My wife is one and she kids me how she can shoot better than me.

Expose people to shooting paper targets--they may still not like firearms, but they will smile and say they enjoyed themselves.

rvpilot76
03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
That's very encouraging. Amidst all of the bad press that the shooting culture has received in the past, the recent repeal of the handgun ban in Washington DC and your story here leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, there is still hope for this country.

Kevin

lurch
03-25-2007, 02:31 PM
We had a similar experiance at work. One of our product teams decided that they need a team building excercise. So, they flew into town from various parts of the country and went to a local indoor range. Several of the ones that previously would have held a firearm like a week dead skunk, actually reported enjoying the experience. It's amazing how many preconcieved media driven biases dissappear given a good introduction, instruction and supervision...

I'm not part of that group, but now several of those guys and I go to the range to have some good clean fun every so often on a Friday afternoon. Impressed a couple of them with some right respectable 44 cal groups (not really sure if it was the groups or the noise...) and they are wanting to move up to something a little more than a 22. Who knows, maybe they will actually buy something of their own in the near future. :drinks:

Castaway
03-25-2007, 05:56 PM
I too am a teacher in this, my second career. After hunting season I offer a "take a teacher to the range" day. Each year I have a few takers. Some are curious, some are slightly less than anti, and some just come for something to do. It's an opportunity to show to what is usually assumed to be a liberal, anti-gun crowd that guns are inanimate objects that afford one to pursue a relaxing, safe and enjoyable hobby. Each convert is one more on our side. Our former superintendent, an avid hunter and now deceased, called me at home a few years ago to pick my brain about a rifle he was considering purchasing. I never knew him personally, but the reputation I've gained in the few years I worked here were reason enough for him to call me. I encourage all who enjoy the sport of shooting or hunting to take people to the range. It's an uphill struggle to counter the negativity that surrounds our sport and any convert is one more ally.

Ricochet
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I think that's terrific!

Buckshot
03-25-2007, 11:38 PM
................Once they see and undertsand that a firearm is just a machine and not evil incarnate, they can take a different view. Once they actually pull the trigger and hit something, it is a very satisfying accomplishment. Plus it is a very tactile experience. You grip the pistol/rifle and squeeze the trigger, you get some noise and you get some recoil, and what you did here, causes something to happen 'over there'. The entire sequence is enjoyable once they find out they aren't going to be hurt.

I have NEVER shot with a first timer who did not enjoy the experience. Might not become their hot button, or consume them, but you could tell it was fun.

................Buckshot

DeanoBeanCounter
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, way to go! Teaching the teachers is the right way to do it. Next to parents, teachers are the biggest influence on youth. If teachers show a positive attitude toward guns to their students, then there's a big chunk out of all the negative we always hear about in our news media. I believe that the gun control @#$%^&! probably have never handled a gun and/or don't know what we use guns for. In other words, they don't know what a gun really is. Shooting is a fun way to teach our youth self discipline, and that is really good. Keep up the good work.
Deano :mrgreen:

KevMT
03-26-2007, 10:51 PM
We had some visiting british vet students working with us a few summers ago. Over a few beers a asked them (both women) if they would like to go shooting. Both agreed and we had a nice time shooting rimfire,a 41 mag, a 6.5 sweed, and some clays with a 20 gauge. One of the things that I believe made things so fun was that we used "fun" targets like steel spinners for the rimfire and milk jugs full of water for the swede and soda cans full of water for the 41mag. As I understand it our local gun range and many others wouldn't have allowed us to shoot anything other than paper and maybe a gong or 2. Fortunatly we still have a public shooting area that is only 2 minutes away just outside of town. So our fun wasn't hampered. Kev

Hunter
03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
To expose children (or anyone for that matter) to the real world of shooting and not what they see on tv was an excellent idea and to get the school behind it was even better.
Good for you. That type of involvement will keep out sport alive and well with future generations.