PDA

View Full Version : New Remlin!

W.R.Buchanan
03-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Well I just got back from my local Hardware store where they sell guns.

To my surprise there was a brand new made in "Illion NY" Marlin 336.

The first two didgits of the SN were MR ! for Marlin/Remington I guess.

I looked this gun over really well and even though the wood was the homelyest I have ever on a Marlin (looked like something off the bottom of the line H&R shotguns) Not walnut but maybe light stained Birch.

The Metal work was really good!

I looked at the gun for about 5 minutes even though it was already sold. As I said the metal work was really nice, all the parts fit nicely, the finish was nice and the barrel was timed right so the sights were strait up and down. The action was a little rough but no more so than any other new Marlin I have seen or handled. This gun was light years ahead of ahead of anything new I have seen in the last two years as far as the metal work was concerned!

Would have loved to take it apart, to look at the inside and see what kind of machine work was in there!

This is the first Remlin I have actually seen in person. It was a Remlin for sure as the barrel was rollmarked Illion NY! All purported Remlins I have heard of did not say this. They said North Haven CT and were assembled from NOS parts. Not actually made by Remington.

This gun came in by UPS today at 1 PM and was sold by 1:15PM ! $485

If they would just now do something nicer with the wood I think they would be back better than ever.

This gun proves they are actually going to make the brand and not shelve or dump it. The nay sayers were wrong again. [smilie=l:

Randy

btroj
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Great news if you ask me!

All the Internet rumor was just that, rumor. Only time will tell how things work put. Souds like the prospects are looking up.

Thanks Randy

Ed in North Texas
03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the first hand report.

TXGunNut
03-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Don't tell the folks over on the Marlin forum...until I get mine. :mrgreen:

Gtek
03-10-2012, 06:40 PM
A lot of people buy lottery tickets, how many win? I am glad you won. Gtek

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Gtek: I didn't buy this gun. It was already sold by the time I got there, and I wouldn't have bought it anyway as I already have a 336 made in 1958 in .30-30. So I didn't "win" anything.

All this post showed is that they are producing product and what they are doing looked (as far as the metal goes) to be better than what they were doing 2 years ago. By a long shot.

They still need some work on the wood, but really that is the easy part.

The new guns will have Illion NY on the barrel and the serial numbers will have MR as the first two didgits. Guns made last year had 89 as the first two didgits indicating 2011. 100-89=11

Anything without the MR prefix was probably assembled with NOS parts.

Randy

TXGunNut
03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Anything without the MR prefix was probably assembled with NOS parts.

Randy

I think its a transition thing, I fondled a new 336 in 30-30 yesterday (and last weekend) ond it has an MR SN and New Haven markings on the barrel. Stock could be birch on this one as well, very little finish. Almost rough. Metal finish was good, as was the one you saw. Barrel was clocked just a few degrees off but it took me awhile to catch that, just didn't look right. It was on the clearance rack priced @ $399, just like a well used one in the next rack. There were three of them last weekend and I kicked it around all week. Went back yesterday thinking about buying it. Just couldn't do it.

pistolman44
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I have been looking for a 45-70 guide gun but haven't had any luck so far. some places only had the SS model with the picanny rail mount. I want a blued one. Like to find one with the large lever loop. One dealer had a GBL model but wood and metal had some issues. Also the sights didn't look right to me. I'll just keep looking. I hope Remington gets their head out of you know where to produce good rifles like Marlin did before they sold out to Rem.

9.3X62AL
03-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, I like what I read here! Given my usual uses of a lever rifle, unspectacular wood doesn't bother me a bit. The levergun is a tool--one that I love dearly--but still a pragmatic and practical hunting impliment, so reliability and mechanical integrity trump cosmetics. The pricing seems decent, too. ALL GOOD!

colt1960
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I picked my new remlin 45-70 on valentines day. 1895GBL looks good on the metal. Has a laminated brown stock, the fit isnt perfect but there isnt any tang metal showing above the wood and there is about 1/32 of wood on the bottom side by the receiver protruding, but no gaps anywhere. Best looking one I've seen. Rick!

btroj
03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
How does it shoot Rick? I am less concerned with appearance than I am with function and accuracy.

Swampman
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
The birched stocked models are cheaper than the walnut stocked models just as they always have been. You can get walnut it's just a different model. Even the old Marlins didn't always have great fit and finish. I've had several that the forearm was all sapwood and didn't match the buttstock at all. Remlins function fine at least the one's I've owned did.

colt1960
03-14-2012, 11:54 PM
How does it shoot Rick? I am less concerned with appearance than I am with function and accuracy.

I havent shot it yet. Im going to missouri this weekend for a weeks vacation. I will be shooting it then. Ive only filled the mag tube with 5 rds. and cycled it thru the action a few times so far. It loads and cycles fine. When I get back I will post how it went. Im also bringing back my Dillon 550b so it can start casting and reloading for it. Rick!

northmn
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
The only Remingtons I have seen that I have not cared for is their cheap lineup. The 870 pumps had their two lines and the hardwood stocked ones were said to be best slicked up by shooting the h--l out of them. Kind of think that Marlins may have hope once their growing problems are solved. I had a Remington bolt 270 for longer than I owned any other gun and shot a lot of deer with it. As I shot left handed it was close to the first left hand model they made way back when. Started shooting other guns and sold it recently but it was a good rifle.

DP

Centaur 1
03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
It's good to hear that some of the Marlins are getting better. I've only handled one of the new ones and it felt like the action was full of sand. I would take it apart to smooth it out anyway, but it just makes you wonder what else might be wrong with it. One thing that I don't understand is why are they using such poor quality wood? I would rather have a nice looking laminated stock than either birch or a bland piece of walnut. I know that walnut is more expensive than birch, but it can't be that much more. Just take a look at the stocks that Henry puts on their guns. If they can use a nice grade of walnut on a .22 that costs under $300, then why can't marlin use it on their rifles.

W.R.Buchanan
03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
I saw two more Remlins today at a different gun shop.

The first was virtually identical to the one in the original post. Same wood Same metal work, however the barrel was turned in about 1 degree too far and the fronnt sight was cocked slightly to the left. Not much but still noticable to the eye that is looking for that issue.

I really can't understand why they can't fix this issue. If they can't do it with consistant torque, then they should cut the sight dovetails after the barrel is installed. That is the easiest way to fix this obvious and demeaning problem.

The other gun was a completely different matter. It was a 1894 in.357Mag! New gun made from new parts by Remington.

The barrel was timed right on this gun, the wood was nice dark Walnut, but the action was very stiff and rough. It would need an action job just to be fit to shoot, allthough I guess if you shot it a few hundred times it would break in. All that said the gun looked nice as any new Marlin I have seen and better than the two new ones I have purchased.

It also confirms that they are producing 1894's again. I believe these guns came from Davidsons. Both guns had MR serial numbers and Illion NY on the barrels.

They are back now if they just push for some refinement in the process they'll have it beat.

Randy

TXGunNut
03-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the good news, Randy. I'm thinking my next new Marlin will wear a compact 2-7 scope but the barrel index thing bothers me, even if I don't plan on using the sights.

W.R.Buchanan
03-17-2012, 04:02 PM
TeX: I think you just have to be preparred to look at the individual guns and find one that is right. It might not be a bad idea to wait for a few more months and see what comes down the pike as far as overall quality.

If they are using a specific barrel torque to time the barrels they are never going to get it right. There are minor variations in the Pitch diameter of the threads both internal and external that will add up to enough variation that they will never achieve 100% success.

The two ways I see to fix this problem are either to have a jig to put the reciever in that would allow good optical feedback when the dovetails are aligned with the reciever.

Or cut the dovetails after the barrel is installed.

As far as the 1894 being rough to operate, just running the internal parts in the tumbler a little longer will fix 90 % of that issue.

These items are nothing major and ALL production processes have minor tweaking that must occur to achieve a perfect product.

I will say that it appears that they are on the right track and Marlin is still alive despite all of the NAY Sayer's Yapping.

I have never been very supportive of spreading BS, It has happened to me and I didn't like it, and it generally pisses me off. I pretty much hate people who don't know what they are talking about and yet choose to open their mouths as soon as they have something bad to say. (see Marlin owners forum) I think most can relate. There are just certain people who's lifes mission is to spread hate and discontent. I generally feel pity for them but in lue of that I just love to shoot them down.

Nothing shuts the naysayer up faster than the truth.

Randy

TXGunNut
03-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Thanks, Randy. Couldn't have said it better myself. There's a new Marlin in my future but if I snag a good used one (or two) while I'm waiting that's OK too. I love old guns but I generally hunt with and shoot relatively new ones, even if they are a bit old-fashioned.

btroj
03-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree entirely Randy. Way too many Remlin experts out there who have never seen one. I hate the "a friend of a friend of a cousin of my friend" first hand reports!

Remiton will most likely get it right. marlin wasn't always great with quality control either so I don't see that as an issue really.

I just want well made, quality guns. I don't mind a bit of smoothing of the action being required. I find that Marlins all needed that anyway. Give them a few years of use and they sure smooth out.

I will certainly buy a Remlin if I find one in a cartridge that tweaks my interest. I sure would like a 25-20.

Rick Hodges
03-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I have to laugh at those who complain about the fit and finish of the Remlins...have they never seen a Marlin manufactured in the last 20 yrs.? I have a 1895 GSS made in the mid-late 90's (??). The wood is beautiful with some remarkable figure, but the finish and fit leaves a lot to be desired. The metal finish is average at best. The action needed cleaning and smoothing as did the trigger. I have reworked 4 other Marlins to clean up the action and trigger for friends. I have not seen the new stuff, but the older stuff was no great shakes.

They are still solid guns...but pre'64 Model 70's they are not.

750k2
03-19-2012, 05:43 AM
I have not seen a company change that resulted in a better product in
40 yrs of trigger pullin - or for that matter even without a co. change.
Sad but true.
New and improved sure seems to be a myth to me:drinks:

W.R.Buchanan
03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
750K2: look at the New Model 70's that FN is producing under the Winchester name.

These guns are light years beyond anything that Winchester ever made.

My bro in law has one and the fit and finish on the gun is excellent and all for $800. The gun is a .308 lightweight and consistantly will put 3 shots into .5 " at 200 yards using his reloads.

And since he was taught to reload by me 2 years ago, it is obvious that it is the gun doing the work and not some miracle ammo.

My Browning Citori XT trap gun is far superior to any B25 Made in Belgium as far as utility goes. The typical B25 is worn out by 25K rounds, but I have seen many Citoris with over 100K on them and not even had the springs changed out. Made in Japan my Citori is, and it is one of the most popular guns in competative trapshooting.

Here's what you need to take away from this conversation. "Change is Inevitable"

To think that the technology we have now is not going to produce a better product than the technology from 50 years ago is just not going to win any prizes.

The point is that you can still buy things that were made the old fashioned way it's just they are going to cost you alot more due to the high cost of the master craftsmen used to produce said products. Look at the cost of custom guns, we are talking tens of thousands, and they really won't do much better at anything than generic guns of today. They look better, but looks don't make bullets go where they're supposed to. Nice barrels do !

I have bought quite a few guns in the last 10 years and most of them have been new product.

2 Marlins 1894 (05) and 1895 (07) required extensive rework and refinish before they could even be shot. This was before Remington came along, and the recent mfg'd guns I saw were better fit and finish than the older ones I bought by a longshot.

I have bought 2 Glocks which function perfectly right out of the box and I shoot them both frequently. These guns did not even exist before 1980 something?

My Ruger Gunsite Carbine is my most shot gun currently, and it is an absolute joy to shoot. My Mini 14 (2006 mfg) is so much better than earlier guns it is pathetic. One minor change to the gas system and a few add ons and this gun is a consistant 1.5" performer with any ammo.

I've been doing guns for over 40 years too, and can understand what you are saying,,, I just don't agree with it.

But in the end, neither one of our opinions matters a whole lot in the greater scheme of things. It would seem that we are going to get, what we get,,, and we can either like it or lump it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Randy

geargnasher
03-19-2012, 08:48 PM
FWIW the beauty of my 1966 336 .30-30 is entirely on the inside. Several thousand rounds have smoothed it up, but it was pretty slick when my grandfather gave it to me 30 years ago along with the remaining 13 rounds from the only box of ammo the little carbine had ever known. He also gave me the rust pits from 15+ years of sitting in a closet with a dirty bore, but it still shoots fine after firelapping. I've had it apart numerous times for cleaning and never did a thing but oil it and grease a few places. The outside, however is just plain horrible. There are saw marks from the blank still visible on one side of the forearm, the buttstock is half sapwood, I think they forgot to sand it at all, there are wavy places, the top and bottom of the reciever look to be sandblasted, and the polish on the sides only got about half the grinding marks polished out out. I don't think they polished the outside of the barrel at all. Ugly on the outside, but a heart of gold. What does one expect for an economy gun?

Gear

btroj
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Butit shoots well, doesn't it Gear? And that is what I care about most of all.
My Marlins all started out a bit rough. I figure that if I shoot them enough over a few years they will slick up just fine.

W.R.Buchanan
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Gear I have 5 of them and have worked 4 with instructions from Leverguns.com. The 5th one is on hold for a takedown conversion.

Both of the new ones I bought were so rough they had to be re-worked just to be shootable. The 1895 was attrocious, and my 39 AS took better than 15 hours to make run smooth,and I'm still not to where I want to be with it. I can't stand the rebounding hammer and the only ways to get rid of it are to find a ahmmer and trigger from an older gun or somehow file a half cock notch into the existing hammer.

I refinished the stocks on all of those guns and it made a world of difference, and I posted a whole thread on this process. The 1895 is standing next to me and looks real nice despite the sap wood in the stock that I stained to match the rest.

What people don't seem to get is that Marlin rifles are generic guns. They are working guns , and as such they just aren't going to have the fit and finish of a more expensive firearms.

You can't compare a Marlin to a Winchester. One costs $500 and the other costs $1000. hence it should be twice as good. You get what you pay for and I would submit that a $1000 Marlin would be a very nice gun indeed. In fact I think it would be a nicer gun than the Winchester!

The reason I like Marlin Rifles is because I can "Work with them" they are inexpensive and so I can advance my gunsmithing hobby with out fear of ruining something that can't inexpensively be replaced.

The problem with most of the naysayers, other than they are mostly FOS!, is that they just don't view these guns in the proper light. I have never seen a Factory Marlin that was anything other than a working gun.

What exactly do you expect?

Randy

smoked turkey
03-20-2012, 08:02 PM
IMO Randy and Gear have a good handle on this issue that we all need to grab ahold of, and its this: Marlins are working guns and not show guns. Although I'll admit to really liking the feel and look of walnut and blue steel. Thanks for the reminders.

TXGunNut
03-20-2012, 09:13 PM
My goodness, Randy! Marlins aren't purty? You're hurting my feelings and I've seen at least one of yours and liked what I saw. [smilie=l: They're working guns, I'll give you that. They're not fancy or highly polished. Mine may not be the prettiest guns in my safe but they get out more than the pretty ones. The Guide Gun is as accurate as most bolt guns and the 336 is no slouch. Both are relatively new, started out fairly smooth and get better every year. The more I shoot and hunt with them the better they look to me.
I'm thinking we'll be seeing some rather handsome Remlins in the next few years, sure hope so, these two need some company.

W.R.Buchanan
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
This is what I'd really like to see. These guns were redone by Turnbull. The first is a 1894 takedown carbine in .44-40. The second is an original 1895 in 45-90 and sold for nearly $35,000! Both have the Marlin combination receiver sight which is pretty scarce and worth just about as much as the guns. But this is the type of thing and the look I am pushing towards on my refinishes. Turnbull gets $5K for a restoration like the carbine above, and I want to be able to do something like this (not necessarily the exact same level of work) but similar, myself.

The 1894 carbine I have was purchased specifically with the intention of getting as close as possible to the look of the one in the pic, including the takedown.

Marlin has no custom shop, and maybe if we strain really hard Remington will include Marlin Rifles into their custom shop. Then we could see fit and finish of a much higher level. These guns would be the type of gun that no one could fault for fit and finish, and when done in a factory environment they would be much more affordable than having someone like Turnbull do it.

Turnbull does impecable work and I have seen some of their guns up close and can indeed verify that they are that good. I just can't afford them. Hence Marlin generic guns with some TLC seems to be the order of the day. :Fire:

Randy

starmac
03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
It is funny here, There are two fred meyers stores. One has been out of marlins for a couple months. They had four on the shelf today and at least one 45/70 had the mr serial number.

A couple of days ago I talked to the manager of the other one, and he told me he had ordered enough to tide him over, while they were out of production. He still has several that are not the mr serials.

TXGunNut
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Marlin has no custom shop, and maybe if we strain really hard Remington will include Marlin Rifles into their custom shop. Then we could see fit and finish of a much higher level. These guns would be the type of gun that no one could fault for fit and finish, and when done in a factory environment they would be much more affordable than having someone like Turnbull do it.-Randy

Are you saying that building Marlins in the custom shop would raise the bar for regular production guns? I think we've seen that @ Colt and S&W and in some ways @ Winchester. Interesting possibility. I like it.

colt1960
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, I'm back from missouri and put a few rounds thru my new remlin. it shot just fine fine with no hiccups. with the sights left as they come in the box shooting at 40 yards free hand it was about 1/2 in high on elevation. I was hitting a little to the left bit no more then a inch and a half. I dont have a rest so im pleased with what it did. Im 51 and my eye sight isnt the best so im thinking of getting a scout scope. the factory sights are not the greatest in low light conditions with weak eye sight. overall im very happy with it and am glad I got a good shooting gun. Rick !

Rrusse11
03-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Gents,
Good to hear some good reports on Remlins. I'm eagerly waiting for an MXLR in 338, that's stainless with 24" barrel and grey laminate stock. According to the MarlinOwners board I stand a reasonable chance of getting a good one, without the dreaded "barrel droop", ie misaligned receiver/barrel thread problem, an "08 production. Talked with an owner of one yesterday that says it's the most accurate rifle he's got, so it's a bit of **** shoot obviously.

If the ballistics are to be believed, the cartridge is a real step up in terms of levergun performance, couple that with Hornady's soft tip bullet and they may well be right in terms of a 300yd levergun.

Randy's right about Marlins, and I like them for many of the same reasons. Simple to work on, and with some basic tweaks, can be made much more accurate.

I had the chance to handle a 1894 SS in 44Mag today that was looking not bad at all. The salesman pointed out some minor boogering of screws, and had no problems admitting that they sent some back without even putting them on the shop floor.

Cheers,
R*2

floodgate
03-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I wanted a plain .22 LR single-shot for plinking and light target work at the range, and got the little Savage with molded stock and integral trigger guard and the Accu-Trigger, which was what I was really after. It arrived and after all the paperwork, waiting time, and shooter's exam I finally picked it up at my local FFL's. A real disappointment! The barrel was misaligned, with the front sight dovetail about 10* left of horizontal (pinned, not screwed in); the dinky extension "target" rear sight tangled with the bolt handle, the metal finish was so-so and the gray plastic stock was mofugly! But the process of returning it for overhaul from California was too complex to deal with, so I took off the sights, added Weaver bases and a Weaver 1 - 4X 'scope, and it does shoot nicely enough. And I do say that the Accu-Trigger is a real dream! Good enough that I can live with the rest, I guess. But I'm still on the lookout for a good .22 LR Winchester "Winder" or a Stevens "Armory".

Floodgate

bbqncigars
03-24-2012, 10:37 PM
btroj:
Be very careful if you find a 25-20 Marlin. They can be extremely addictive. To the point you will buy an automatic progressive reloading press to keep up with your ammo use. For your own sanity, buy a butt load of 25-20 brass when it's available. Trust me on all of this. BTDT.

btroj
03-24-2012, 11:30 PM
My 32-20 is a grat little gun. I need more brass for that one too. A 120 gr cast bullet and 5 gr of unique is such a great load. Some day I need to get some tree rats with that gun.