PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag roll vs taper crimp

atr
03-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Any thoughts on roll crimp vs taper crimp when loading for a 44 mag?
thanks
atr

stubshaft
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Yup, roll crimps do not normally, have any chance of sizing down the boolit. Taper crimps do.

L1A1Rocker
03-10-2012, 12:00 AM
If the case does not headspace on the mouth (like the 44) the roll crimp is preferable IMO. The roll crimp will actually "roll" the case mouth into the boolit, whereas the taper crimp squizes the case mouth onto the boolit.

As was mentioned, the taper can sometimes cause a bit of a sizing issue. But, the real reason for using the roll crimp IMO, is that it is much stronger. You have much less likelyhood of having a boolit back out under recoil in the cylinder with a roll crimp.

ClemY
03-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Roll crimp .44. The only taper crimp I use on a rimmed case is .45 Auto Rim. I taper crimp it because I use the same dies and settings for .45 ACP and .45 AR.

MtGun44
03-10-2012, 03:02 AM
I use the redding profile crimp a lot of the time for .44 mag. Works fine. Sort of half
the way between a real TC and a roll crimp.

Bill

44man
03-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Think recoil! Use a roll crimp to at least help hold the rest of the boolits in the brass in the cylinder.
For a single shot you don't even need a crimp and a taper crimp should work fine.
Hornady .44 dies come with what they call a taper crimp die but it just roll crimps.
The Redding profile die works as long as the boolit is not over size. If it is, the boolit will get sized. I never go a full profile, just enough of a roll. A fat boolit will not fit through it.
I usually seat and crimp at the same time, it makes absolutely no difference but Lee boolits drive me nuts with the scratch they call a CG. I have to reduce the crimp for them and the easy way is a shim washer under the die.

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I have a C&H taper crimp die for .44. when applied to a boolit with a crimp groove the crimp looks like a tapered roll crimp (sharp angle into the crimp groove. In this application it works just like a roll crimp.

This die is not the same as a taper crimp on .45 ACP case which physically jamms the case mouth into the bullet shank.

Randy

Coffeecup
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
I've not tried a taper crimp in the 44, but did with warmish loads in the 45 LC (since I was using a taper crimp in the 45 acp anyhow). Bad move. I had some problems with the gun tying up due to bullets jumping the crimp. Turning the die down enough to hold the bullets resulted in the bullets being sized down too far for the cylinder. I went back to a regular crimp, and had no further problems. (Well, no further crimp problems.)

dragonrider
03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Stubshaft just how much sizing down is a taper crimp going to do????

bobthenailer
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
For loads at 1000 fps or lower i use a Taper crimp on the 44 mag with excellent results

Larry Gibson
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Think recoil! Use a roll crimp to at least help hold the rest of the boolits in the brass in the cylinder.
For a single shot you don't even need a crimp and a taper crimp should work fine.

+1

Unless you are shooting mild loads the bullets in the cylinder will move forward out of the cases under recoil.

Even in a single shot with slower powders like 2400, 4227, H110 and 296 it is advised to use a roll crimp to get better and more consistent ignition. I have tested it in my Contender and it is so. With faster burningm ore easily ignited powders a TC works fine.

Larry Gibson

Blammer
03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I taper crimp all my 44mag and don't have a problem with it. I shoot heavy and mild loads.

Plinkster
03-15-2012, 09:18 AM
I was having problems with my Lee TC seating die pushing large boolits deeper as it crimped. Got one of Ranchdog's factory crimp dies and problem solved! They work just like the Lee rifle factory crimp dies using a collet to crimp, highly recommended!