PDA

View Full Version : .44 Bulldog owner

Ohio Rusty
03-25-2007, 01:15 AM
After I got off work, I put the pedal to the metal and headed to Circleville Ohio to pick up my new Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 special. (That is it in my avatar) On the way I also picked up a couple of boxes of the COR-BON 165 gr. hollow points to go with the gun. I have been preparing to start reloading for the .44, with acquired brass, RCBS dies, a couple of small LEE reloader presses, etc. The factory-made bullets for the .44 seem kind of pricey, so I'll start making 200 gr. button nosed wad cutters with Trail Boss powder loads for practicing. As with any new gun, they go thru a 'teething time' until the action and moving parts start smoothing up. I needed to dry fire the gun for a while, but didn't know if that would bother the firing pin. VOILA !! (lightbulb goes on over head) I took 5 empties I had sized and deprimed, and filled the empty primer pockets with hot melt glue from my craft glue gun. I then trimmed the excess glue flush with the bottom of the case with a razor blade. I now had 5 snap cap-type rounds for dry firing and they work like a charm!. (A-Zooms were $19.95 for 6 ... OUCH !!) All the moving parts inside were lubed with SLIP 2000 and I've been dry firing for a couple of hours off and on. So far everything about this gun seems to be extremely nice, and it carries concealed tucked in the waist very well. I'm looking forward to getting lots of very mild practice rounds made up for comfortable shooting. I'll slowly move up to more powerful loads as I gain familiarity with the pistol. For a CCW gun, I can think of no better revolver as I have great confidence in the .44 from my experiences back in the early 80's when I had a pair of Smith Model 29's. Something interesting is this gun has no internal lock !! Most of the new Smith's and Taurus pistols all have built in locks, and that feature is turning off shooters as they are afraid the lock will lock up the gun from recoil. My .44 Bulldog came with an external removeable lock you put in the trigger guard. I'm real pleased with my purchase and proud I could buy American and support American workers working hard to feed american families. Hopefully in the near future I can post results of shooting tests of my .44 reloads.
Ohio Rusty

9.3X62AL
03-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Congrats on your acquisition, sir. My understanding from folks who have owned these is that factory-level loads are best for these revolvers--246 grainers at 700 FPS or so. I imagine a 200 grain WC or SWC could be sent at 800 FPS without accellerating wear.

Buckshot
03-25-2007, 04:03 AM
.................Nice purchase! I was glad to see that the old Charter Arms company had been bought and the Bulldog re-introduced. I recall when they were first brought out. With most any load with some juice, the comments about being able to hold onto the pistol were common.

...............Buckshot

Bret4207
03-25-2007, 08:03 AM
I have an older BD and love it. My particular gun is more accurate than I am. It prefers boolits in the 200 gr range and I'm looking for a nice FN to play with some day. A wadcutter would be nice too, but they're not available any more. Wait-maybe NEI? Have to look.

I don't think the recoil is all that bad. Just stay south of 1000 fps with a 200 and you'll manage ok. 800fps with a 240 will do all you need actually.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2007, 08:29 AM
there a good gun. BUt like bret and AL said keep your loads to factory level or under. Theres not alot of meat in the cylinder walls.

Ricochet
03-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I've got an older Bulldog that I got in 1977 or so. I've erroneously fired loads with a 240 grain gascheck boolit and 8 grains of Unique (loaded for my Super Blackhawk) with no apparent harm, but this is not a gun designed for "+P" loading. Besides, it's a handful to hang onto with factory level loads, at least without a good grip on it. Dunno what they come with now, but the original walnut grips were pretty bad. I put on some Pachmayrs right away. Light boolits work best. You can load up 200-215 grain boolits to 900 FPS or so by loading manual data (I haven't checked in my 3" barrel) without going above standard SAAMI pressure levels.

Obsolete
03-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I also have one that I use for consealed use.I have no complaints with it. I have fired it with 200 on up to 260 grainers.As others have said stick with the lighter ones.Those heavy weights have a ton of torque in their recoil..... very hard to try to get off a quick second shot in such a light weight revolver..... After a 10 rounds of 260's I noticed some screws actually loosning up alittle...... never did that with the 200's or 240's.After those 10 of the 260's I never fired them again in that Bulldog.The 246 gr lead RN factory stuff works just fine but 200's seem to be the best all round for mine.

Either way the Bulldog is a great choice for it's intended use.

MT Gianni
03-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I have one of the older ones also and like it. I do use it with 250 gr bullets enough to know where it fires and to pack them as when I will want it in a Montana "social situation" I will want a heavy bullet. My practice loads and fun plinkers are 210 gr. Mine shoots well although after a couple of cylinders full of heavy bullets the ejector rod wants to unscrew even with loctite. I have no complaints with it as it fits a need. gianni.

Dale53
03-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Lee has a good looking 200 gr RF that can be had in a six cavity mould. I have one ordered, myself.

Dale53

lar45
03-26-2007, 03:01 AM
Nice little gun. I've always wanted one, but have never seen one when I had extra toy money.
do you have a scale? How much does it weigh empty? Is that a 2" bbl?
tks.

Bret4207
03-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Depending on the gun it's 18-19 oz. unloaded. 3" barrel on the standard model, 2" on the "Pug".