PDA

View Full Version : A sign?

Jim
03-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I have a friend that works at one of the major shooting sports online vendors. In an email today he wrote "We have had a surge in business and as the impending administration coup de tat approaches we become busier and busier".

Whadda' ya' make o' that?

canyon-ghost
03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Same as the last election year, call it 'protection from a tyrannical government'.

41 mag fan
03-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Got an email from grafs saying they've seen a surge in everything and the ammo mfs are at full steam already. Plus to be prepared for shortages like in '08.
Pretty sad when the legal lawabiding are scared of what this administration wants to and or will try to do.

Houndog
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Jim,
Ordinary everyday folks, like most of us here, are seeing more and more signs of our gooberment passing the tipping point and coming unraveled. Unemployment is up (never mind what the obamanation says), inflation is skyrocketing and the gooberment giveaways have just about gone as far as they can. When the money stops, things WILL get BAD in a hurry. More and more prudent folks are stockpiling supplies and learning to use firearms in numbers unheard of before. I hope we NEVER get to the point of collapse, but I fear nothing short of divine intervention will be able to stop it

41 mag fan
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Jim,
Ordinary everyday folks, like most of us here, are seeing more and more signs of our gooberment passing the tipping point and coming unraveled. Unemployment is up (never mind what the obamanation says), inflation is skyrocketing and the gooberment giveaways have just about gone as far as they can. When the money stops, things WILL get BAD in a hurry. More and more prudent folks are stockpiling supplies and learning to use firearms in numbers unheard of before. I hope we NEVER get to the point of collapse, but I fear nothing short of divine intervention will be able to stop it

At almost 16 trillion in debt now, the inevitable is coming. When it happens the top economy in the world will collapse the rest of the world.
There wont be a police force or military to speak of to protect us commoners.
It'll be everyone for themselves.
Guess that's why after I got Grafs email yesterday, I ordered another 15k of primers for the 223's.
Now to wait and see when the sm & lrg pistol primers come available.

Sonnypie
03-09-2012, 07:49 PM
It is for this reason I always begin my reloading before I clean my guns from a range trip. I deprime and get a load tumbling, then clean the guns.
A dirty gun will still shoot. But empty brass is worthless.

What are you going to do? Ask a bad guy to wait while you reload? :veryconfu

I keep a good supply of Primers, Powder, and Bullets.
But I have nearly no empty brass.

If I die, it will be for cause.
But I will leave behind an arsenal because.

Catshooter
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
George Nonte wrote that during WW II it was impossible to powder, primers, brass or just about anything else gun related.

That taught me stock up, as best I could.

Then when that swine Clinton published his open letter to the primer manufacturers (all four of them) in what, '93? primers went from $7.50 to $65 a thousand I learnt some more.

It doesn't take all that much for important parts to become unobtainium.

A wise man stocks up as much as his resources allow.

Cat

edler7
03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm in the same camp as Sonnypie- almost no empty brass. I have a buddy (the guy that taught me how to load) that has tons of components and brass, but very little loaded ammo. I ask him if he is just going to throw powder, primers, cases and bullets at the advancing hoard...he says "yeah, I need to get busy". Meanwhile, every night he parks his keester in front of the computer for 4-5 hours reading about how things are headed south and ******** about it.

The Boy Scouts have a saying....BE PREPARED !

I'm headed to Powder Valley in a couple weeks for a primer and powder stock-up. I wish they sold wheel weights.

41 mag fan
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm in the same camp as Sonnypie- almost no empty brass. I have a buddy (the guy that taught me how to load) that has tons of components and brass, but very little loaded ammo. I ask him if he is just going to throw powder, primers, cases and bullets at the advancing hoard...he says "yeah, I need to get busy". Meanwhile, every night he parks his keester in front of the computer for 4-5 hours reading about how things are headed south and ******** about it.

The Boy Scouts have a saying....BE PREPARED !

I'm headed to Powder Valley in a couple weeks for a primer and powder stock-up. I wish they sold wheel weights.

Better hurry....almost everyplace I went to was sold out on primers or they were getting low. Grafs was sold out of pretty much everything in primers.
Powder Valley still showed stock.

Arceagle
03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Have any of you all seen the new show on Nat Geo called Doomsday Preppers? I really like it. I expected to see them making fun of these people, but they don't come off that way at all. A few years ago they would have called them Survivalists and made them out to all be whack jobs.

I have tons of ammo that I began hording during the Clinton administration, and still have minimum standards that I try not to go below. Unfortunately it would take me years to get to the preparedness levels of these folks. I do still have 20,000 primers and 100 lbs. of gunpowder sealed up since 2008.

It shows the change in times where these people are not thought of as abnormal. During the Clinton administration the gooberment (had to borrow that cause I like it) did a very good job of Demonizing these types.

starmac
03-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Have any of you all seen the new show on Nat Geo called Doomsday Preppers? I really like it. I expected to see them making fun of these people, but they don't come off that way at all. A few years ago they would have called them Survivalists and made them out to all be whack jobs.

I have tons of ammo that I began hording during the Clinton administration, and still have minimum standards that I try not to go below. Unfortunately it would take me years to get to the preparedness levels of these folks. I do still have 20,000 primers and 100 lbs. of gunpowder sealed up since 2008.

It shows the change in times where these people are not thought of as abnormal. During the Clinton administration the gooberment (had to borrow that cause I like it) did a very good job of Demonizing these types.

Don't think for a second that they are not being demonized, even one of those had all his guns and ammo taken from him after the very first show.

The govt considers you a possible terrorist, if you prepare for any kind of disaster.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
anybody notice the rise in price of powder ?
I'm not sure if it was a first of the year thing and
it just catching up with new stock or what ?

at Cabela's nothing is under $23 per lb
most of the powders at Grafs are over $20
Jon

stubshaft
03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
I went to the local guns shop the other day to pick up some powder. The owner was asking me if I needed any other supplies as his sources advised him they would be out of product in the very near future.

canyon-ghost
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Was target shooting the big old 41 magnum on the silhouette range today. Advancing hoarde had better have a good excuse (and possibly an escape plan). Lol.

tomme boy
03-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Ya know, if you keep spreading this stuff, it is going to be just like after Obama was elected. Everyone scared everyone else in to a panic and prices went threw the cieling.

Arceagle
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=starmac;1627464]Don't think for a second that they are not being demonized, even one of those had all his guns and ammo taken from him after the very first show.

Hadn't heard that. Would be interested in learning more.Where can I get that info? One of the topics the guys and I were talking about at work was it smart of them to appear on a show like that?

wgr
03-09-2012, 10:58 PM
any of you guys are gals ever use sellier&bellot primers? if so how did you like them

reloader62
03-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I have a friend that works at one of the major shooting sports online vendors. In an email today he wrote "We have had a surge in business and as the impending administration coup de tat approaches we become busier and busier".

We all got TAX CHECKS LOL , and it is a scary election year,if 'he' gets in again ,the gun rights we have now are going byebye

starmac
03-10-2012, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=starmac;1627464]Don't think for a second that they are not being demonized, even one of those had all his guns and ammo taken from him after the very first show.

Hadn't heard that. Would be interested in learning more.Where can I get that info? One of the topics the guys and I were talking about at work was it smart of them to appear on a show like that?

I have not watched the show, but this was in the news just a few days after it was aired.

http://offgridsurvival.com/doomsdayprepperdeclaredmentaldefective/

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-10-2012, 02:15 AM
I got the email from Graffs as well. and had noticed things I was looking at the last few months are already out of stock.
I just bought a new Handi in 7mm-08 brass is gone most every place. glad I found Midsouth

BOOM BOOM
03-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Wow,
starmac's post 19 was sobering.

lbaize3
03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Just ordered another $465 of powder from Powder Valley. I have enough ammo on hand to start shooting today and still be shooting a week from now. But my step son goes to the gun range at lunch every day. He brings me loads of brass and it seems I never am able to keep them all loaded...

Blacksmith
03-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Just like last time the companies that make guns, powder, primers, ammo and those that sell the same will be doing well untill at least the next election. So if you want to make some money in the stock market invest some money in that sector, but spread it between several companies (I wonder if there is a Guns ETF). But be ready to sell if Obummer wins because things could go south quickly.

SciFiJim
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM

I am fairly new to reloading (about 3 years) and have never bought more than 1K primers at a time. I am preparing an order for 20K primers and powder to match. I just have to time the delivery for spring break when my wife is home to sign for it. I will probably order on Friday. Hope things are still in stock then.

canyon-ghost
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow,
starmac's post 19 was sobering.

Agreed. I don't know what he was doing for a living, maybe reselling survival equipment. You wouldn't think that they'd have taken everything from him. I didn't think you could be judged mentally defective that easily.

Jim
03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Agreed. I don't know what he was doing for a living, maybe reselling survival equipment. You wouldn't think that they'd have taken everything from him. I didn't think you could be judged mentally defective that easily.

I learned a long time ago to tell people what they NEED to know and no more.

dale2242
03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
I got the same email from Grafs.
A clever marketing plan?.....dale

missionary5155
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Good morning
Most of us have pretty well got our personal situation planned out.
Why not expand that circle of preperation to 5 or 10. Why not put together a box that contains arms and ammo to equip 5 persons. A box that just needs to be opened and there is everything your neighbors and friends may need to help keep a street section secure.
Mike in Peru

Love Life
03-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I am good, but it doesn't mean I won't snatch up a deal if I see one. Right now I am focusing on getting a good supply of surpplus ammo.

Blacksmith
03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Mike in Peru

Thats a good idea. I don't think I could afford 5 or 10 but maybe 1 or 2 which would help. You can get Field Grade M1 Garands which meet military specs. for $525 + $25 S&H from the CMP shipped to your door. And they sell 200 rounds of ammo for $98 + $12 S&H. Even if you didn't arm the neighbors these would be worth a lot if things get bad. You would need a few extras like some clips and a cleaning kit. but for less than $675 each you could equip some family and friends to help watch your back. The CMP limits you to 12 guns a year but that's more than I could afford anyway. A few people in a defensive position with M1's would keep most people looking for easier targets.

Here is a link to the CMP sales page (our members from other countries can't buy from CMP sorry):
http://www.thecmp.org/sales.htm

starmac
03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
If a guy was set on having enough arms to equip his neighbors, a few mosins, and ammo would be about as big of a bang for the buck as one could find.

For the price of one garand, you could arm five people.

Blacksmith
03-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Starmac

How about some pricing and a link to where I can buy guaranteed servicable Mosins and ammo for same including shipping and transfer fees?

starmac
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Up here there is an add pretty much all the time for them at 109 bucks, I'm not sure who's add it is.

It has not been that long ago that I think it was BUDs guns that had them for 89 bucks, guys were talking about it on this site iirc. Probably in the military rifle forum.

I can't help much as I have never been interested in them. I could get you the number of the add on alaskalist, but someone is shipping them here, I'm sure they can be found down south cheaper.

starmac
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the 762X54 in this add is the mosin round. This guy has a tin of 440 rounds for 140 bucks. I know this guy personally and he orders his ammo from several places down south.

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_General/63_Guns_Hunting/212785_Ammunition_.html

03-13-2012, 12:19 AM
If you have a C&R license, 91/30's can be had for as little as $80. I'm not a Mosin-Nagant fan, just saying.

The license is a CMP qualifier, too.

Blacksmith
03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
I' m looking for some links for rifles in guaranteed condition with prices to my door. The same information I provided. And continuing supply of ammo.

ErikO
03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Well-maintained 10/22's would be all that is really needed. Six or seven with a brick of ammo and a few 10-round mags each could tie things up for a while.

:)

Ickisrulz
03-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I just put in an order for $500 from Grafs. Ordinarily I buy as I need. But I don't want to be left lacking here in a few months. Hopefully manufacturers are burning the midnight oil.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
So what is everybody stocking up on? Is it just primers and powders, or are people also investing in spare parts kits, surplus ammo, mags, pouches etc?

Can't shoot if gun is broken and no parts available. That is what I am thinking of for long term. I have primers and powders to last a while, although I think a few cans of TB may be a good idea. Just fill to the base of the boolit and seat.

Ickisrulz
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
So what is everybody stocking up on? Is it just primers and powders, or are people also investing in spare parts kits, surplus ammo, mags, pouches etc?

Can't shoot if gun is broken and no parts available. That is what I am thinking of for long term. I have primers and powders to last a while, although I think a few cans of TB may be a good idea. Just fill to the base of the boolit and seat.

Primers, powder, lead, bullets and .22 ammo. I will be set for shooting supplies until I leave Vegas in a little over a year. I always keep reserved stash for just in case.

I don't have spare parts. I suppose I should. But, I'm on a fixed income (fixed by my wife anyway). I gotta say though, I've never had a firearm break on me.

ErikO
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
For now it's primers, powders and getting more things to launch them with. I should be casting my own by the end of May/early June.

I'm tempted to pick up a few stripped AR lowers to hang on to 'just in case'. Oh yeah, and I'll get a few more Ruger 10/22's.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Shotgun Times has stripped lowers for under $80. My buddy ordered a couple of them. He is an AR nut.

I tend to prefer the AK series.
Ammo is cheap!!

ErikO
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Shotgun Times is like a Sears Wish Book for AR folks.

AK's are definately fun as well, I do have plans on converting a Saiga into a '74 at some point.

Love Life
03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I skipped the whole conversion thingy by buying romanian WASR 10's. I have had no issues with them, they are AK accurate and will hit man sized targets all day out to 300, and are CHEAP!! Relatively speaking of course.

Plus surplus ammo allows me to focus on reloading my other calibers.

Have I mentioned that I love AK's?

ErikO
03-14-2012, 02:56 PM
True, I'd be better off getting a Russian VEPR in 7,62x54R: http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-VEPR-54R.aspx

Honestly as close as I may manage to get to a SVD...

Love Life
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
People always call the accuracy of the AK in question. True it is not a MOA weapon system it is a MOM (minute of man) weapon system out to 300 yards. Especially if you stick one of those scopes on it, but I like to stick with irons.

ErikO
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I know that even a Jennings is more accurate than I am. ;)

gnoahhh
03-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Bear in mind when laying in stockpiles of powder what your local fire code says about how much you can have on hand and how it's stored. It's one thing to thumb your nose at government regulations, but quite another to be denied an insurance payout if God-forbid you have a house fire and the fire investigators find evidence of too much powder on the premises. A good friend got blindsided by that about 20 years ago, and I doubt the situation has improved.

The only thing I keep huge quantities of is .22 ammo. I figure if I need to vamoose on foot I'll take a .22 rifle and .22 pistol because a thousand rounds or so takes up a lot less space in a back pack that is better used for food, socks, medications, etc, than hundreds of rounds of CF ammo-- and weigh a lot less. I could feed myself for a long time with nothing but a .22 and a thousand rounds of ammo, and give a good account of myself in a 'serious social encounter'. I would be a heckuva lot more concerned about running out of my heart meds in an apocalyptic situation.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-14-2012, 05:27 PM
As far as the "sign" last week I bought a case of primers, lots on the shelf. I stopped today to pick up my new Handi rifle, no primers in the store AT ALL

SciFiJim
03-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I placed an order with Widner's on Monday. Everything that I wanted was in stock but a jug of Unique. However, they were 8-10 business days behind in shipping.

Ickisrulz
03-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Bear in mind when laying in stockpiles of powder what your local fire code says about how much you can have on hand and how it's stored. It's one thing to thumb your nose at government regulations, but quite another to be denied an insurance payout if God-forbid you have a house fire and the fire investigators find evidence of too much powder on the premises. A good friend got blindsided by that about 20 years ago, and I doubt the situation has improved.

And what is the typical limit on smokeless powder storage?

starmac
03-14-2012, 11:49 PM
And what is the typical limit on smokeless powder storage?

I think that varies by state.
I know we get burned shipping it up here, it has to come by boat and IIRC it is only 400 pounds per barge and no more than 100 pounds per pallet and they have to be on each corner of the barge to get the maximum.

SciFiJim
03-15-2012, 12:48 AM
The guidelines of the National Fire Protection Association for home storage of smokeless powder:

13-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), shall be permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.

Beartooth Bullets has an excellent article in their Tech Notes here.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/60 (http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/60)

Of course, some areas might have tighter restrictions than that.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Anybody read "One Second After" yet?

Ickisrulz
03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Anybody read "One Second After" yet?

I did a while ago. Very good book with lots to think about.

Blacksmith
03-16-2012, 04:12 AM
Finished "One Second After" yesterday. Makes you think of some things you might not want to think about. But brought up some points I had missed. Think about shoes. A cobbler will be very needed.

Ickisrulz
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Finished "One Second After" yesterday. Makes you think of some things you might not want to think about. But brought up some points I had missed. Think about shoes. A cobbler will be very needed.

Check out "Lights Out". Same situation, but a better read and even more to think about.

morgans
03-17-2012, 09:14 PM
We all got TAX CHECKS LOL , and it is a scary election year,if 'he' gets in again ,the gun rights we have now are going byebye

Hello All New Guy here, I hope I'm not breaking any rules. My website is www.morganrestorations.com, I'm trying to get people together for change, its working slowly,I have alot of anti- obama stuff on there. I emailed Will and said I would be willing to run www.stopguncontol.com, I truly hope I do not offend anyone here, I'm just trying to change things, I hope all of you join in on this. We all have the power to make change by Voting and coming together, we can make a difference,:drinks:
My site started out as saving American History Jobs and family values and is now taking on a life of its own.
We can make a difference, I see this in most of your posts.:coffee:
My own opinon we are all in Panic mode with good cause, but it, can be stopped and turned around, its going to be a ruff road for everyone, we really need to come together for our kids and grand kids.
Just fill out my guest book page and tell people how you feel. You have to put in your email( hint any email will work, no one see's it, not even me I only see comments, then approve them for posting.)
Anywot thats my two cents, oh heck I forgot 3/4s of that goes to tax guy.:roll: Lame joke[smilie=1: