PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits in a marlin camp carbine

melw
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I have a camp carbine in .45 ACP.
Has any one loaded cast bullets for it?
I have molds for both 230gr round nose and 200gr SWC.
I was thinking of useing the 230RN.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Mel W.

Ron
03-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Sorry can't help you with your question but I am sure someone here will. Just thought I would say "Welcome to the forum", there are a lot of people here to answer any questions on casting and reloading in general.

Doughty
03-25-2007, 10:51 AM
melw,

Welcome to the board.

There was a time when I shot lots of cast bullets through a Marlin 45 Camp Carbine. I shot 185s through 255s. All with no problems. The chambers tend to be a little large, so larger diameter bullets will probably work better. However, .452s were what I shot in my handgun, and they worked just fine in the carbine. Give it a try, I think you'll be happy.

Leftoverdj
03-25-2007, 10:51 AM
The Marlin Camp Carbine is straight blowback, and the springs and bolt weight are a bit light for that purpose. The bolt can start coming back while the bullet is still in the barrel and pressures are still high. This can rupture cases, but more commonly swells them so they look like the snake that just swallowed the rabbit.

This can occur with loads that most 1911s handle easily and is a function of momentum. The 230 grain bullets will cause it much more readily than the 200 grain bullets will. I'd suggest that you stick with 200 grain bullets and moderate loads of fast powders. Slow powders keep the pressure level up anfter the bolt has started to open. Upper end loads with heavy bullets will most certainly cause problems.

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Camp Carbine, just that loads for it must approximate factory ammo.

melw
03-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
Old Vic
Thanks for the info.:-D

Leftoverdj
I had herd about some spring problems. I have only put about 200 rounds through it. all of it was FMJ ball. I did not notice any bulging of the cases.
I was not watching for it so I could have missed it.:neutral:
Thanks for the replys and the info.
I use a fairly light load in my 1911 so I will give that a try and see where to go from there.
Mel W.