PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Shot???????????

Budmen
03-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I have seen it posted on this site many times before about using reclaimed shot and prices for reclaimed shot. I understand the cleaning and re graphiting but how may I ask do these people collect the shot to reclaim it?????????????????

alfloyd
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
The man that reclaimed the shot at the local shotgun range here in Northern Utah, used a machine that ran the soil into and cleaned it using air. He tilled the top 3 inches of the field, loaded it with a front end loader into the sorting machine and returned the clean soil back to the feild. The machine he used was his own design. It took him about 2 weeks to do the whole field for 5 shotgun stations.

He does this all over the Western states in the summer time and spends the winter in New Mexico and nearby states.

Lafaun

rsrocket1
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
It's usually a company that does it. They have machines to scoop up maybe an inch or so of the soil. They then wash it, tumble it, repeat. Then they graphite it. I know of one place that sells it for about $22 for a 25# bag and am considering using it if I can't find lead elsewhere. I know you need to add tin to it so it starts to get about the same price as WW ingots, but it won't involve mail ordering it.

Ole
03-09-2012, 08:59 PM
This page should give you an idea of the equipment that is used:

http://mcneeleyenterprises.com/page.php?2

Another:

http://mcneeleyenterprises.com/page.php?5

Budmen
03-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Well see I knew there must be a way but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I didn't think it was anything possible for a way to scrunge up some free lead!

Thanks for the replies

chboats
03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
the machine works much the same way a grain harvester works. The grain is heavier than the chaff like the shot is heavier than the dirt.

carl

Texas Heart Shot
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I bought 50#'s of reclaimed shot from Roto Metals & made 350 gr. FN bullets for my 45-70. Seemed to work well. At 20 yds I hit a 16in peice of fir firewood on the end and it went about 10 inches deep. The stuff must be pretty hard as it did'nt mushroom at all.
Had to flux the shot couple times in an hour of casting. Don't know if I did it all right but it seemed to work out ok.
Just my .02 cents worth.