PDA

View Full Version : Finally productive!!

Lizard333
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I got my walnut hill press from RCE on Tuesday and have been putting it to work.

I had to mount it to my bench on top of a 6 inch by 18 inch piece of 1/4 inch thick steel to prevent it from ripping itself of my bench. It was then bolted through the top and through studs to get the results I needed. Very pleased with the results. This press is very nice piece of machinery.

I won't say how many bullets that were needed to get these nice ones, but the end results were worth the effort. I now have a feel for the press and the learning curve has leveled off.

I'm using Federal 22LR brass, which has been averaging between 10.3 and 9.4 grains. I chose to do a 45.4 grain core. This gave the best looking tip. It took a while to find the sweet spots on seating and point forming dies with the small variations in length, but the I'm happy with the end results.

My shoulder, on the other hand, not so happy!!

Reload3006
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
:twisted::twisted::twisted:Congrats nice looking Boolits.... its all downhill now into the abyss welcome to the dark side. :twisted:

GRUMPA
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Looks like that swaging bug bit you kinda hard, I know it did me.

Utah Shooter
03-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Very nice. Let us (or me atleast) know how they shoot for you.

Lizard333
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
If the weather holds up I'll be taking them to the range tomorrow.

firefly1957
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I have the best luck with Federal cases all the ones I weighted were 10 grs. even? I settled on 55 gr total weight also. In the last couple days I derimmed all my Federal cases must be near a 1000 and cleaned and polished them for making bullets for later this year. I have found that 9 #2 shot makes a great 55 gr bullet I put six shot in tap them down solid in a die then do the last three then run into point forming die. My dies might be Pacific they work in a old pacific press and are different then the newer dies. I also use .185 lead wire for cores at full 223 velocities either do a terrible amount of damage. I plan on trying the fragmented cores in my XP-100 .221 Fireball. I have done the same process with # 9 shot and the bullets lacked penetration to stop anything larger then a raccoon. Not even exiting a broad side shot on a possum!