PDA

View Full Version : loading for lead bullets in my .38 Super Racegun..... help

LEADLUBBER
03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello all,

I am thinking about loading up some cast bullets for my .38 Super race gun, and I was wondering what the consensus was for the best lead mix/ hardening process, cleanest burning powder, and a strong enough round to actuate with an Infinity Hybridcomp barrel with two holes in it and an SVI INFINITY 7 port compensator.

Also, what is the best mold, custom or factory made for high volume production? What bullet weight?

Please help

THANKS!

MtGun44
03-08-2012, 10:50 PM
I burned about 50-60,000 rounds of .38 Super years ago in a Wilson LE Comp gun. I used
147 to 158 gr commercial cast .357 diam over 7.1 of W571/HS7. Sadly, the powder is no
longer available new, but it was perfect for major .38 Super heavy boolit loads. This load IS
is one of the small Hodgdon reloading manuals as a max. If you run across some, it is great
for this application.

One critical point. I have an unsupported chamber (no integral feed ramp) and with Midway,
Rem +P or PMC +P brass it was flawless. It would blow the case on W-W or WW +P+ brass
almost every time, a few were hideously bulged but not blown. I had to carefully sort brass
after a match because other people's .38 Super brass would get mixed up with mine.

Bill

subsonic
03-08-2012, 10:54 PM
It has been written that Longshot is Hodgdon's replacement for HS7.
Do not take that to mean that load data is interchangeable.

bobthenailer
03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
You will get less leading with a heaver bullet going at a slower velocity to meet your power factor but the comp wont work as well as with lighter bullets with more powder.
I solved the problem by using the Saeco # 929 a 145 gr swc and at times shooting the RCBS 125 rn gc bullet to keep the barrel lead free . Saeco also makes a #924 swc gc that you could get in a 4 cavity mould that will work
The problem with the super is hi velocity 1,300 + hi chamber pressure & fast shooting. is a prime cantadate for gas ck bullets only but you can find happy mediam . i use WW water dropped from the mould & sized to .357 dia

As far as compensator lead build up ! ive been shooting jacketed bullets with max charges of slow burning ball powder such as surplus WW820 or lilgun. this will clean out the lead build up inside the comp it will take a few shots , it depends on how bad the comps leaded .

Walt
03-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Commercial 160 RN sized .357 over 6.0 WAP, that has been a good "Super" load for me. WAP is long gone (can't have mine) but Ramshot Silhouette is an exact replacement charge wise, with reduced flash included.

MtGun44
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I never had any issues with leading at 1200+ fps with ordinary commercial cast boolits
in my Super, many, many thousands of rounds. Super hard or GCs are not necessary in
pistols.

Bill

LEADLUBBER
03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Awesome info, thanks all!!!!

any good recommendations for a good lube in this velocity and BHN range needed?

Walt
03-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Awesome info, thanks all!!!!

any good recommendations for a good lube in this velocity and BHN range needed?

I assume the boolits I normally used were 92-2-6. Typical commercial stuff, 15 BHN?

CBH
03-10-2012, 10:44 PM
My standard IPSC load back in the early'90's consisted of a Saeco 929 swc, quenched WW, sized
.357 at approx. 150grains lubed with Javelina or Microlube. Winchester 540 powder (forgot amount) gave me 1200fps no sweat. Case life was good. Supported chamber/Barsto bbl. 180 power factor. I believe HS-6 is the same as Win 540. Soft shooting compared to the lighter bullet loads. No leading.

MtGun44
03-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Normal commercial casters use the standard alloy, but not sure exactly what it is. Std
crayola lube, which was working pretty well, all things considered. I'd GUESS that the BHN
was around 15-16.

Bill

LEADLUBBER
05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
How would this bullet work in a .38 super with the Lee Tumble lube method/liquid alox?

https://fsreloading.com/lee-mold-6-cav-tl356-124-tc-90402.html

MtGun44
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
As a general comment, LLA is a fairly marginal lube system, but it might work. Some
use Johnson's paste wax as an additive and double coat.

Good luck - I think you are stretching that lube system, I think it is iffy at the pressures
and velocities in a .38 Super major load. I must say that I have not tried it in this
application, so this is just unsupported speculation. Try it and you will have the
REAL answer.

Bill