PDA

View Full Version : Large Smelting Mold--Refrigerant Can???

gbrown
03-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey people. Got a question that I'm sure the collective knowledge of this forum can answer. I am thinking about a large smelting pot--100# or so. I have a large, green refrigerant can that A/C people use to charge/recharge units. It was used as a compressed air tank. It seems to be of heavy steel. Would this make a good smelting pot if cut off about midway or maybe a little up? I've got burners that can heat it. The bottom has a round ring with spot welds attaching it to the bottom of the can. I'm pretty sure these can withstand the heat of my burners. Thanks for any input, Glenn

letsmeltlead2693
03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Yep, it should work, go for it.

10 ga
03-09-2012, 12:02 AM
zactly what I use. I cut mine as high up as straight side and then flared the top piece and use it as a top to save heat and keep the tinsel fairy away, she hasn't visited yet but... Just make sure it is steady on the burner. I can get more than 1 whole 5 gal bucket of coww in at one smelt. Not heavy as some smelters but was really cheap, well it was free, and I have another one for another smelter when that one dies. Best, 10 ga

gbrown
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks people, that's the information I was looking for.