PDA

View Full Version : 357 Rifle-Teflon-works

versa-06
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Got real excited about the 357 rifle and have two now. Plan to get some of them White Tail steaks with a hit from one of these 158gr swc charges. Been using 1/2" teflon w-4 wraps of teflon. SPEER #14 Manual calls for a max 17gr-c load for jacketed loads using IMR 4227, I've been using 16.5 and getting great results, Tried H-110 didn't do so well. But I get a great pattern from what I"m using. I haven't tried it in my handgun yet, I am a rifle freak!! If you do any playing w-teflon you will find it compresses well and almost becomes transparent when you roll it on an Index card, Probably getting 1600-1650fps. It is quick to wrap doesn't seem to need perfect wraps because it is so compressable. I put a final crimp using LEE factory crimp and love the results, leaves powder residue only. Don't suggest teflon for high vel. rounds over 2300fps. Oh forgot to say that I also give'em 3 coats of LEE Alox tumble lube. Try it, Easy on the barrel and Quick with the load. LOVE them White Tail Steaks!!:Fire:l

Nobade
03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Have you tried the same thing but with normal lube in the grooves? I suspect it will work OK too.

versa-06
03-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I thought the teflon wrap might assist a softer alloy, Doesn't have a lot of velocity for mushrooming purposes.

Goatwhiskers
03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Did you overlap the base of the boolit as in paper patching? I'm gonna try this in my Max, wondered about your thoughts on using this at 1900-2000 fps, boolit sized .357, wrapped and sized to .359. Goat

versa-06
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
My teflon wrap seems to have pretty much settled at the base overlap does not hurt anything please note I did use gas checks ! I tried some 180gr teflon wrap only No Checks in my 30-06 today and the results were 2.5" larger and no consistancy, Gas check load held less than 1" at 75 yards Iron sights, but again No Leading!! and also remember the LEE Alox Kinda on the heavy side. Some think it's messy but i don't mind it works. LOVE THEM WHITETAIL STEAKS!!

Goatwhiskers
03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Didin't realize you were using GC. My GC boolits gave phenominal accuracy, same boolit PB and same load not so much. Thought I might be on to something. Still gonna play around with some different lubes and some PP. Goat

Bullwolf
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I tried wrapping some Teflon tape on a handful of 44 Magnum boolits.

Only loaded 10 rounds, with 3 counter clockwise wraps of teflon tape each, and my 240 grain Lee C429-240SWC boolit (no gas check) loaded behind 10 grains of Unique.

I tumbled lubed my 44 boolits once before wrapping, using 45-45-10 Just in case the Teflon tape wasn't quite as functional as I hoped it would be. The lube on the boolits seemed to help glue the tape on somewhat as well.

I also tried running one wrapped 44 boolit through a Lee sizer die. The Teflon tape gets a bit transparent, and seems to gets forced into the lube grooves of the boolit..

I sent the wrapped boolits downrange through my buddies Rossi 44 Magnum lever action rifle.

The Teflon wrapped boolits performed just fine, and were on par with the same boolit lubed in Alox behind 10 grains of Unique. I wished that I had the chronograph set up that day as well, but sadlly I did not.

It was just one of those things that I have always wanted to try out for myself. Another interesting experiment, that I had first read about here on cast boolits.

- Bullwolf

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904f5ac8490312b.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4353)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904f5ac859df426.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4354)

williamwaco
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Got real excited about the 357 rifle and have two now. Plan to get some of them White Tail steaks with a hit from one of these 158gr swc charges. Been using 1/2" teflon w-4 wraps of teflon. SPEER #14 Manual calls for a max 17gr-c load for jacketed loads using IMR 4227, I've been using 16.5 and getting great results, Tried H-110 didn't do so well. But I get a great pattern from what I"m using. I haven't tried it in my handgun yet, I am a rifle freak!! If you do any playing w-teflon you will find it compresses well and almost becomes transparent when you roll it on an Index card, Probably getting 1600-1650fps. It is quick to wrap doesn't seem to need perfect wraps because it is so compressable. I put a final crimp using LEE factory crimp and love the results, leaves powder residue only. Don't suggest teflon for high vel. rounds over 2300fps. Oh forgot to say that I also give'em 3 coats of LEE Alox tumble lube. Try it, Easy on the barrel and Quick with the load. LOVE them White Tail Steaks!!:Fire:l

Lube first or wrap first?

nanuk
03-10-2012, 07:15 AM

I gotta wonder, what performance do you get with the exact same setup, but without the teflon wrap?

.22-10-45
03-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Hello, A few years ago, I tried Teflon tape on my Tom Ballard adjustable cupped base .22 bullets. I got some of my most accurate groups with this stuff..equal to best match jacketed bullets.
However...If you happened to get a flier...you had better stop NOW! & run patch thru..tinest fleck of lead..you wouldn't even give second thought to in a G.G. load, would be found on patch. If you ignored that flier..next bullet thru would have it's patch torn..and you would have a bore full of lead to deal with. That darn Teflon works..but it's fragile!

303Guy
03-11-2012, 12:23 AM
As Mythbusters would say - "confirmed". Several folks have reported success with Teflon tape. (Not just 'thread tape' which may or may not be PTFE tape).

troy_mclure
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I have lots of both Teflon tape and ptfe paste. I've tried the tape and paste in my .44 ruger sbh.
I tried the tape with and without lube. It was a failure either way with patterns instead of groups.
The paste however worked pretty good as a alox like coating. But it didnt give enough gains to bother with.

versa-06
03-11-2012, 07:55 PM
I wrap first then lube, want the tape to come loose at the muzzle if possible. I also have this Phobia about lead build up over multiple shots. Lots of CB users need to clean their barrel after a few rounds, That's why I use the tape on my low velocity rounds. It does become transparent very easily, but there is still a barrier between lead and bullet on multiple rounds. This may seem un-necessary to many and would use lube only, but I like that barrier between lead and barrel. I Know that if I downsized to bore diameter that this would cure the problem with the paper patch. But all of my sizers and molds are not to proper spec's for the paper patch. .357 sized .358 and .308 sized .309. Just got a call into Buckshot for some custom sizers. He really seems to be quite a guy to handle these kind of things without breaking up a mans wallet!!!

firefly1957
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I did this with 45 ACP bullet 155gr at around 1100f/s and they leaded terribly they did shoot well.