PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 problem

whisler
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm sizing some 105 gr. SWC boolits from as-cast size of .360 through a Lyman .358 die in a Lyman 450. The lubri-sizer and dies for 38, 44, 45 and 30 cal. were all given to me by a relative, used. This is the first time I have used the .358 die and only the second time using a lubri-sizer.

They are coming out the right size but are being sized more on one size than the other. It is almost closing off the lube grove on one side.

The boolits start out round (I checked with a mic), but just size more on one side. I loosened the set screw on the top punch, and put some lube on the end to hold it in, as I have read here, but it didn't help. I'm suspecting a misalignment problem with the die.

The first time I used the machine was with a .452 die and I don't recall this problem.
Any suggestions to try before I get a new die?

ku4hx
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm sizing some 105 gr. SWC boolits from as-cast size of .360 through a Lyman .358 die in a Lyman 450. The lubri-sizer and dies for 38, 44, 45 and 30 cal. were all given to me by a relative, used. This is the first time I have used the .358 die and only the second time using a lubri-sizer.

They are coming out the right size but are being sized more on one size than the other. It is almost closing off the lube grove on one side.

The boolits start out round (I checked with a mic), but just size more on one side. I loosened the set screw on the top punch, and put some lube on the end to hold it in, as I have read here, but it didn't help. I'm suspecting a misalignment problem with the die.

The first time I used the machine was with a .452 die and I don't recall this problem.
Any suggestions to try before I get a new die?

Boy this goes way back. My 450 Lubrisizer swages the boolit down to the size as indicated on the die so no weight is lost and the boolits tend to stay concentric. I seem to recall the earlier model 450 actually shaved lead away. You may have the earlier model.

I also seem to remember a competing company's dies that shaved lead would fit in the Lyman device.

At any rate, if your dies are designed to shave lead, I believe the newer swaging sizers will fit your machine. When I bought my 450, sizer dies were $5.00 each and I bracketed every boolit I molded with + and - .001" from nominal. I bet I haven't checked die prices in over $30 years so there's no telling what they cost now.

Grandpas50AE
03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
It could be the boolits as-cast are a little out-of-round and the sizer is swaging down the high side more than the low side. Have you checked the boolit before sizing it to see if it is out of round? Measure it from a few different places on the diameter.

fcvan
03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a 450, and I use the Lee 105 SWC boolit. There can be several reasons why the die is not sizing concentricly. If the boolit doesn't start straight, the sizing die will try to straighten it for you. If your top punch doesn't center the boolit you are off to a bad start. If the base of your boolit is not perpendicular to the side of the boolit it won't size straight.

I loaned out one of my molds and it came back with lead smeared on the mold and sprue plate. The base was not perpendicular and the boolits would not size correctly. Those boolits were culled and the mold was cleaned up.

I have old sizing dies with lube ports on two sides while the newer ones have lube ports on four sides. Yes, the new dies fit in the 450. The dies seem slightly tapered at the opening and size more completely as the boolit is pushed deeper into the die.

Maybe the old sizing die needs tapering - or replacing for 20 bucks. Maybe the mold needs some attention to ensure it is casting with square bases. Maybe the top punch is not centering the boolit as it starts into the die. Just a few things I would look into. Frank

03-08-2012, 08:47 PM
If the die opening doesn't have a taper, as mentioned above, and the boolits isn't centered on the ejector pin, one side of the boolit will be shaved. If the opening is not tapered, you can do it yourself or buy a newer, tapered die.

whisler
03-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Boolits were round, but I will check for perpendicular bases. I'll try centering the boolit carefully and see if it that helps.
I'll also check with my relative as to the age of the die, but I know it is at least 10-15 yrs old. Is that old enough to be a problem?
He gave me some boolits sized with this die years ago and they seem to have a bit of this problem but not to the same degree.

Hardcast416taylor
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
If you are new to using a 450 sizer you may be making a fairly easy and common mistake. Is the sizer die you are about to put into the luber sitting completely flat in the screw nut base? If not you will be getting smeared sided boolets by the sizer being canted and not straight. I seat the sizer into the screw nut by hand before putting this assembly into the luber body.Robert

williamwaco
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
How old is that die?

Modern dies swage the bullet to size. The original dies cut it to size.

Take the die out of the press and clean out the inside from the top down. Use a solvent so you can get down past the lube to the bare metal.

About one fourth to one half inch below the mouth of the die the old dies had a very sharp step, a ring if you will. The bullet was guided down into the cutter by the top part of the die until it hit the ring and then it just literally shaved off the sides of the bullet.

Your problem occurred frequently with that type die and it was usually caused by a top punch that did not guide the bullet straight into the die. If your die fits this description, toss it and get a new die.

whisler
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks, William, I'll give that a try too.