PDA

View Full Version : My 9 me and time

Blammer
03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Today I drug out my Baretta 92 FS 9mm to take to the range. I have not shot this pistol in a long time. 5yrs or more I suspect. Usually I shoot fmj's in it or the jacketed HP's. It was my "stock class'' competition gun.

Usually when I shot USPSA or whatever it's called now, I just used the 115gr RN fmj stuff. I always shot minor caliber and just did it for fun, I really didn't care what my ranking or score was. I was usually on the bottom of the list anyway's as everyone else was shooting major. I just enjoyed shooting and having fun.
I think in one year I put about 3,000 rounds through it. For me that was a lot, and a lot of expense especially when living in Los Angeles CA right after college and on my first real job. As a result I started looking at cast bullets as a cheaper alternative.

A few days ago, I discovered a considerable stash in loaded rounds for this gun, so I thought I'd better make use of it. This stash had 95% jacketed and about 5% cast bullets. The commercial cast kind that you buy. The box the cast bullets arrived in has long been used as a storage box and it has the sticker of $21 on it for the box of 500 that came in it.

The date that was printed on my loaded ammo with the cast boolits was Jul 97, meaning July of 1997. :)This was LOOOONNNNG before I knew anything about cast boolits. I just knew that a box of 500 cast cost $21 and a box of 100 jwords cost well, i forget but obviously it was enough for me to go the economy route because of the volume of shooting I did. Mind you this was way before I cast what I now know as 'boolits'.

I shot about 175 rounds or so of the jacketed 115gr RN, 90gr HP, and the RN lead, commercial cast bullets. The jackted and lead I just shot intermingled, one or two mags of one (15rnds) then one or two mags of the other.

I noticed that when I was shooting at the 100yd target that sometimes the cast bullets, loaded from 1997, would suddenly hit 3-8 feet high, left, right or low. :)

I didn't mind as I wasn't hitting anyone elses target and I knew that the reason was most likely the boolits weren't fitting properly and I sumized that I'd have a badly leaded barrel when done. Sure enough I was right.

I was also amazed at what I know now vs what I knew then about cast boolits. :)

I also remember what I used to think about the cast bullets I was shooting. Sure I got lead in the barrel but it really didn't affect anything as far as I was concerned. It never got bad, my point of impact never changed, well when you shoot targets at 5 feet and up to 25yds away, who could tell, and I just cleaned it a little till it wasn't so bad. If I wanted it cleaned better I'd shoot about 20 jacketed through it and then clean it. It was usually easier to do that way.

(Now day's I'd be run out of town on a rail for suggesting such things!)

Today, just as back then, I put a mag of jacketed ammo down the tube and then went home. I looked at the barrel and it was mostly clean. I'm not going to worry about it and go shoot my match next week, and see how I do. Since the targets will likely be less than 25 yds and not 100yds I think I'll be fine. I still have about 300 commercial cast bullets loaded I need to shoot up. :) After that I'll start loading some of NOE's great little beauties and see how they do. :)

When I start loading cast boolits again in the 9mm, I think I'll have it figured out so I won't get any leading. :)

Looking back, I'm amazed at what I've learned and what my attitude was back then about cast boolits. It's sorta humbling to remember your past sometimes.

I just remember this everytime someone posts on the board about leading their barrel and everyone jump up and down and starts screaming "you can't do that!", I laugh, because I was one of those who DID IT, and didn't really care either. :) And to a certain point, still don't. :)

scrapcan
03-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks Blammer, I too went down memory lane as I read you post. Lotta things resemble where I have been and where I am now.

Shooting should be fun, it is just now we also enjoy the casting and loading. Especially with the 9mm as the cartridges are easier to find when they are in the hopper next to the press!

Catshooter
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Interesting, isn't it.

I have a friend who doesn't do the internet and is a caster. So I've been educating him as I have learned here.

It is truly amazing what we have here.

Cat