PDA

View Full Version : Set me straight: Contender pistol types

Shooter6br
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
i beleive Contender pistols were made in three types of variations. Each model is the 'improved: version of the one before. The orginal( 1976 ) second was the "Easy open" type( had adjustable sear) third model was the "Flat side" I would like to know what type frame /pistol i am buying used Also which is the most favored. thanks Rick

quilbilly
03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Your types seem about right. The originals were made before 1976 as my dad got me one with 2 barrels for a welcome home present when I came back from Vietnam in about 1973. Been hooked on T/C's ever since. My original still shoots fine with all the more modern barrels but I did send it back to T/C for modernizing back in the mid 80's. Given my experiences over the last few months, I would consider replacing some of the springs on T/C's that have been fired a lot. Those would be the hammer spring and triggerguard return spring. T/C did make one model in a partially stainless alloy called "alloy 2" if my meager memory serves that was a disaster and can only be used with similar alloy barrels. I now have multiple frames of various ages and all work just fine except one that needs a new hammer spring.

Haggway
03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
This is a start. There are many many many variations, from the early years. Special orders and such. Did I mention there are many variations?
http://www.tcarms.com/about/

stubshaft
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
T/C did make one model in a partially stainless alloy called "alloy 2" if my meager memory serves that was a disaster and can only be used with similar alloy barrels.

It was called the "Armor Alloy" and it is the only barrel that will not fit the other receivers.

Slam'n Salmon
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
They fit fine if you ream out the hole for the pin.

uscra112
03-11-2012, 02:14 AM
I "favor" the Gen 1 Contender, because it has a genuine set trigger mechanism. This was dropped for the Gen 2 and later. If high-powered cartridges float your boat, go for an Encore, it's considerably beefier. I seriously doubt that Warren Center ever considered any cartridge more powerful than the .357 Magnum for the original design. My Gen 1 is deliriously happy with the K-Hornet barrel mounted, and OK with the .30 Herrett, but the .357 Max barrel I made up seems to me to be more horsepower than the frame can stand for long, if it gets loaded like the enthusiast web sites are constantly touting. I will keep that one anyway, because of restrictions on tools for deer in Ohio, but I'll stick to 35,000 psi loads. Mine is NOT an "easy-open", but even with my arthuritis I don't have any trouble opening it.