PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Lyman mould

Dale53
03-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I just got back from the Ohio Gun Collectors gun show at Wilmington, Ohio. It was a LARGE show quite reminiscent of the "Old" gun shows. I saw a number of VERY fine pieces:

A HEAVILY engraved Farquharson single shot rifle, absolutely gorgeous in .600 Nitro Express for only $26,500.00.

A very nice lightly engraved Farquharson single shot rifle in absolutely perfect shape for $10,500.

The "deal of the century" was a pair of double rifles, a 4 bore and an 8 bore, heavily engraved in the "best quality" tradition. The pair was available for only, only (now get this) $318,000.00!! Anyone want to sell their house??

To show you what a piker I am, I bought a Ruger SS Blued in .22/.22 mag (with cylinder) with 5.5" barrel. It is about 95% or better for considerably less...

The real topic of this is a used, like new Lyman double cavity 429421 (late issue in the familiar orange plastic box) with square bottom lube grooves with three equal size bands. Appears to be the original Keith design (or very, very close). It was priced quite reasonably. So, If I don't get the GB Lee (I was late getting on the band wagon) I won't be completely out in the cold.

For years I had a cooperative deal on a H&G four cavity Keith Style (we swapped moulds back and forth) but it is no longer available. So, I needed to do something about it. I prefer 4-6 cavities but since I am not shooting as many .44 Keith's these days, I can live with a double cavity mould. This one appears to be a dandy. Time will tell.

Good gun show, some real museum pieces, some decent prices and some good gear. Definitely, a good day was had by all.

Dale53

Ringer
03-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for sharing, Dale Regards,Ringer

Sundogg1911
03-25-2007, 12:50 AM
I have that mold. One of my Favorites. I got 2 Deer with that one last year with my Taurus M44 with an 8 3/8 barrel. :-D

Dale53
03-25-2007, 01:00 AM
All but one of my deer was shot with a Keith "style" 240-250 gr SWC (the last one, a 10 point White Tail, was shot with the Lee C430-310- RF).

The H&G mould that I have used for most of my adult life was not quite an authentic Keith mould (if that matters:-?) but I always had a hankering for a "real" Keith. Lyman has gone through a number of different mould designs under the same number, 429421 (pretty much documented on this site). I was rather surprised to see this apparently late Lyman mould to be a really good representation of a "real" Keith.

I also have a lead on a Lyman 4 Cavity that may or may not be the same. We'll see what "shakes out"...

Dale53

Buckshot
03-25-2007, 03:02 AM
...............I sure miss the big LA gunshows at the fairgrounds. If you walked fast you could pass all the tables, but not see much :-). It didn't take too many trips there to realize it wasn't really the place to go look for a deal on a gun. Although I did by my TD carbine and a Hakim there very reasonable. Mainly it was to buy 'Stuff" :-).

................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
03-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Dale--

I have a recent-series Lyman #429421, like yours with the squared groove bottoms and orange plastic box. It came from a board member here at NCBS a few years ago. It has become my go-to mold in 44 Special (S&W M-624 x 6.5"), although it has seen little use so far in 44 Magnum. The Redhawk doesn't come out of the safe a whole lot these days.

Bent Ramrod
03-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Buckshot,

You might check out the Costa Mesa Gun Show next time it comes up in June. It's expanded to 4 buildings plus the roofed-over space between two of them. It appears the quantity/quality of Stuff is starting to get better there in the wake of the Supervisors' ban on the Pomona show and the (probably not so) mysterious disappearance of the Anaheim shows.

Gotta get to the OGCA show some day. Also that big one at Tulsa. I wonder if I could get a Reality TV show a la Charles Kuralt or Paris Hilton where I just drive a motor home from one Gun Show to another one and find Stuff?:mrgreen:

Dale53
03-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Deputy Al;
I can appreciate your "favoring " the 624 6.5". That is one of my all time favorite revolvers. I have shot better targets with that piece than anything else that I have. I have come close with others, but that big boy just does it well. I also have a 624 4" but it is a bit harder to shoot than the 6.5 ".

My load is the old standard, 7.5 grs of Unique behind a 240-250 Keith. I am happy to hear of your good results with the Lyman mould. I have great expectations of my new acquisition. (Something HAS to be wrong with someone who can get enthused about a derned ol' bullet mould[smilie=1:, but-t-t, I sure plead guilty!:mrgreen:

Dale53

jaystuw
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
The s&w 624 w/ 6.5in barrel brings back some memorys! I got mine over 20 years ago in Northridge ca., back when they still had gun shops in the san fernando valley. (Any southern cal guys remember that cluster of gun shops on parthenia?) cost was 269.95 . That proved to be a bargain for a big reliable pistol that is easy to maintain and really fun to shoot. I also like that long skinny barrel-a 624 is pretty thin at the muzzle!

p.s.- I also miss the big pomona show, that hurt when they got rid of it. Now I go to the one in ventura-its not bad, plus you have the beach right there.kinda fun to make a day of it with the kids

John