PDA

View Full Version : hawk bullets swag-it dies?

newb23
03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Has anyone tried the swaging dies for jacked boolits from hawkbullets.com? They are very cheap. I'm thing of getting into swaging and thought this would be a cheap way to try it out. I am wondering if they are strong enough to swag 45jhp from 40 cases.

DukeInFlorida
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
From what I see for info, they are ONLY for swaging raw lead into bullet shapes. Don't think they'll work for what you'd like to do.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
boy are those cheap !

MIBULLETS
03-08-2012, 07:12 PM
You can swage half jacketed bullets with them too, similar to the CH 105 series dies. Someone one here bought one recently. He seemed pretty happy with it.

MIBULLETS
03-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Here is the thread...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145214

newb23
03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Dang guess I'll have to spend a little more and get ch dies or bt snipers dies

williamwaco
03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Am I nuts?

( don't answer that. )

I don't see a word on that Hawks site about swaging dies.

You got a link?

newb23
03-08-2012, 07:51 PM
http://www.hawkbullets.com/swage-it.htm

Sasquatch-1
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I purchased a set right after Christmas. Unlike C & H, I got my die set in less then two weeks. I have been swaging half jacked semi wadcutter in .44 cal using the .40 S&W brass. I think I may have cracked my nose point form die and dropped them an email they said they were getting a new nose form punch out the next day. Now I did break one of the links on my Rock Chucker Supreme using them. Since I got the press fixed I have been swaging without a problem, even with the cracked nose punch. Just take your time and work down to the final size carefully.

Now you cannot make the rounded over jacketed soft or hollow point like you see in a lot of videos. So if you have a touchy feed ramp on your 45 you may want to consider one that has this capability. :swagemine:

MIBULLETS posted the link to another thread that I had posted that has pics of the finished bullets

Sasquatch-1
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I had found the same site that you had found with the $50.00 price. That is an old site and the price is no longer valid. Delivered to my door they were $168.00. Not a lot less then the 101's from C & H but you will get it a lot sooner and he seems to stand behind his product. Call the number at the bottom of the ad and tell him what you have in mind.

NoZombies
03-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I've told them several times they need to remove that page with those prices, but they still haven't. they just removed the link from the home page when they started selling them on ebay (at a much higher price) instead.

Ervin
03-08-2012, 09:08 PM
A few years ago I called the owner of Sport Flight to see what they were selling after buying their dies decades ago. I talked to his wife who said they retired and had sold all their tools and equipment to a man in New Jersey. They were packing and retireing to Florida. I recently bought a set of 10mm dies from Swage It that were very close to to Sport Flite dies. Ervin

newb23
03-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Well I guess I'll just have to save a few pennies and order one from bt sniper when he has another batch done, since ch takes so long.

muzzleloaderll
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
I had found the same site that you had found with the $50.00 price. That is an old site and the price is no longer valid. Delivered to my door they were $168.00. Not a lot less then the 101's from C & H but you will get it a lot sooner and he seems to stand behind his product. Call the number at the bottom of the ad and tell him what you have in mind.

i have both in 357 hawk is lead and ch is jacket they both arrived within a week i called my order in by phone and ch is available by what they have in stock my advice is to call them they are very accomadating i was dissapointed when i didnt get the 50.00 dies tho and the core die is really junky jim

Sasquatch-1
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
and the core die is really junky jim

Just curious. Are you talking about the C & H or the Swage-it? If the Swage-it are you talking about the main body of the die?

Now I know they had an adjustable core mold that looked unfinished. But as I remember he told me they were not making them anymore because the were too costly.