PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Deerhunter01
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Hello, I decided to get into casting. I have some basic stuff but need to get molds. Ill be getting 357,44,45 molds. I would like to get by with one of each. I would like to keep things simple and on the cheep. My uses will be plinking and hunting, whitetails will be the largest game. My questions are should I get tumble lube molds or regular molds (i dont have a lubrisizer). Should I get gas check designe and only use checks when loading full house loads.should I get hollowpoint molds. And any other questions I should ask but didnt. Thanx for your help.

ShooterAZ
03-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Tumble lube molds will help keep things inexpensive, no need for gas checks with proper sizing.

Cherokee
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the forum...and to the world of casting. Take a look at the Lee moulds to get yourself started. Some really like the tumble lube and it seems to work for them. I don't use them so can't say. Gas checks not needed-Fit is king. Fit the bullet size to your gun. Come back for any more questions.

BulletFactory
03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
I like pan lubing myself. Get one of those silicone 8x8 brownie trays, when the lube/bullets are cool, they just peel out of the pan in a block, and you pop the bullets out. The lube is ready for the next batch. A couple pounds of lube last a very long time.

If I only had one mold to choose, it would be a flat base or gas check design in brass by Tom at Accurate Molds.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Before committing yourself to buying anything start reading around on this forum's library of articles; cast pics, casting notes, articles by members, etc. It will help you make wiser choices on materials and equipment. A lot of years and experience has been registered in the writings here and you will profit from reading them. Knowledge is power so don't jump first. LLS

StratsMan
03-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I would like to keep things simple and on the cheep.

DH01...

I bet that 90% of the people on this forum got into casting with the same thought in mind... Now, years later, they have a room in their house dedicated to casting and hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars invested in cast boolit equipment...

Save yourself!!! Run away from this forum as fast as you can!!! :kidding:

There's lots of info and opinions here. When I started with the same objectives you have, I got 6-cavity Lee tumble lube molds in 452 and 358... Lots of guys love them, I moved away from tumble lube (too smokey for me), but it is easy and cheap.

I moved to Lee 452 and 358 grease-groove designs, and an inexpensive sizer. Then I decided that wasn't fast enough, so went to custom 4-cavity molds and a Star sizer... you see how the money starts to go out the window...

Some will recommend skipping those beginning steps and going straight to the custom molds and high-output sizers... but then you miss the fun of the Learning Curve... So get the Lee 6-cavity Tumble Lube molds... (heck, I'll sell you mine!!) Search out the recipe for 45-45-10 lube (don't use straight Alox for tumbling), and you'll be on your way....

Good luck... Resistance is Futile; you will be assimilated.... :mrgreen:

mdi
03-08-2012, 12:43 PM
I started by casting .44 caliber 240 gr. Lee T/L SWC. Casting this bullet you can easily learn about fillout, mold temp and melt temp. Plus you can get experience casting without the added expence of a lubersizer, nose punches and dies. Tumble lubing has it's lovers and it's haters. I T/L with thinned alox/xlox and/or 45-45-10 and it is only as messy as you are. Tumbling in a tub or plastic sandwich bag (zip-lok) and "dip lubing" are most common and very easy. You can also tumble lube standard lube groove bullets as alox/xlox works on the bearing surface and grooves need not be filled. I also pan lube, and mix up my own lube (home made Speed Green, Darr lube, etc.) and there are a few more tricks to learn for this method, but still easy enough. I usually pan lube 100-200 at a time when I've found an alloy and lube I like and if needed, I size with Lee push through sizers. I have two molds for gas check bullets but I've found I rarely use them any more 'cause plain based bullets work fine (my fav is Lyman/Ideal 429421 SWC). As mentioned above fit is king. Size your bullets to fit your gun and leading won't be a problem.

Casting, loading and shooting boolits for your particular guns is prolly the most satisfying aspect of "roll yer own" ammo...

A whole bunch of info is available in Lyman's Cast Buller Handbook (3rd Edition is my preferrence, but a 4th will suffice). Have fun...

Deerhunter01
03-08-2012, 02:13 PM
WOW lots of great info. I see I have found the right place for help. Thank you !