PDA

View Full Version : Redding oil dampened scale

Thinktwicez71
03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
what type of oil goes in this scale to dampened it ? and about how much?

i read online about useing synthetic oil because it won't wick up and out of the trolly like petro oil would , but there are mixed answers on what thickness, what are your thoughts?

and i understand i can use it without oil , but i would rather use it as it was intended , with the oil

Redding # 1 scale

Dan Cash
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Very thin oil like ATF or even mineral spirits. I started reloading with an oil dampened Herters scale. At 14, what weight oil did not enter the equation; the 30-30 high detergent that went into the tractors looked good. Worked ok in the summer but come winter in the barn, scale was reluctant to move when cold. Paint thinner did better over all.

Roundnoser
03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Great scale. Very accurate. -- I use Hoppe's gun oil. Its light, and doesn't get "thick" in colder temps. Just heavy enough to keep the beam from rocking too much.

You can use it without oil, but it is SUPER sensitive. Obvioulsy, the beam won't settle as quickly without the oil.

03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Experience says don't use vegatable oil, because it will turn rancid, collect flies, and change viscosity. I use light weight honing oil, and fill the reservoir to the top of the paddle. I've been meaning to make an ATF comparison, though.

Hardcast416taylor
03-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Back when I had a Redding #1 scale I used whatever oil we had available on the farm. In this case I used good old 3in1 oil. I didn`t fill the resevoir full, stopped filling about 1/4" from the top lip.Robert

Le Loup Solitaire
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Lighter oil works better. 3 in one or sewing machine oil will do the job. ATF is ok too. No veggie oil. Surplus GI oil also ok. LLS

Typecaster
03-08-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't ever use oil, just slowed the beam with my fingertip and trickled powder in while watching the pointer—+3/10, -5/10 meant I was 2/10 low. +3/10,-3/10 or whatever meant I was correct.
No real need to wait until the beam stopped.

Richard

Floydster
03-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Been using my Redding oil damped scale for over fifty years, I use regular 3 in 1 oil.

Thinktwicez71
03-08-2012, 02:27 PM
i haven't gone to town yet , but i had something around the house and put it in there, seems to work. its wearever premium synthetic dot 3 brake fluid. pretty sure its lighter than oil , seems almost a little thicker than water , will that be ok ?

Guesser
03-08-2012, 03:25 PM
There is a specific product for the application. It is named "Damping Fluid", any full service lubrication dealer should be able to get some for you.
I have the same scale with the Herters name on it.

Pavogrande
03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I am with typecaster. No oil, it is messy and just slows up the process. The scale is read in motion.

13Echo
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I have one and don't use damping fluid but would use deoderized kerosene if I did. It's light enough not to cause misreads and it won't thicken appreciably with cold weather and it won't turn rancid. Whatever you use be careful not to get any on the pivots. They need to be kept clean and dry for best accuracy. Dismount the beam when not in use to help preserve the knife edge and cover the balance when not in use. Change the damping fluid when it gets low rather than topping it off so you can check for sludge, rust, and gummed fluid.

Jerry Liles

GP100man
03-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I have a Webster W1 scale & use a synyhetic blend power steering fluid , no wicking & very stabile in temp swings !!

I`ve sinced replaced the med. bottle with a glass bottle from a small airbrush bottle

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/WebsterScales.jpg

michiganvet
03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Got my Redding scale in the late 60's, but I never did put oil in it. These days I throw a charge just light, then trickle one grain at a time timed to dampen until the scale re-zeros.

gwpercle
03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
WOW ...I didn't think any one still used a Redding # 1 but my mizerly self.

Started with it in 60's , at first used 3 in 1 oil in it but found it messy, Kept getting oil all over the place. Then started using it with no oil. when the pointer would swing up and down an equal amount above and below the zero it was close enough to call it balanced. Touching the beam lightly would also slow it down. You can also wait a few seconds for the pointer to stop if looking for max. accuracy.

Even though it was a little slow to use I didn't want to spend money on the overpriced, in most cases anyway , new ones they sell now. After a recent move I couldn't find it, so started looking for a replacement. Got a used RCBS 5 - 0 - 5 for $ 35.00 and wish I had upgraded years ago. This thing is so much easier to use. but it's not any more accurate than the Redding # 1. I reloaded a lot of ammo with the #1 and have no complaints....gary

P. S. The other day I found two unopened boxes marked " reloading " , from that move , and my old Redding was in one , like finding an old lost friend .... so now I got a back-up .

Certaindeaf
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
i haven't gone to town yet , but i had something around the house and put it in there, seems to work. its wearever premium synthetic dot 3 brake fluid. pretty sure its lighter than oil , seems almost a little thicker than water , will that be ok ?

I don't know about that. I think all DOT 3 will eat the heck out of all paints etc. Maybe DOT 4 won't. I'd probably just use ATF of any flavor.

Sonnypie
03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I still have the one Dad and I started out with in 1961-62.
I don't use it, but I keep it in case I get a wild hair.
I do use a Lyman 5-0-5 magnetically dampened scale currently.
I think Dad use to put 10W oil in it. Not a lot, just enough to dip the paddle and dampen the swing.
Still a great scale. But magnetically dampened is less apt to make a mess moving it from the shop to the desk. :-D

palmettosunshine
04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
3 in 1 oil for me.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/palmettosunshine/Scale.jpg

Single Shot
12-05-2013, 02:58 AM
what type of oil goes in this scale to dampened it ? and about how much?

i understand i can use it without oil , but i would rather use it as it was intended , with the oil

Redding # 1 scale

I know it is an old post but; As per the manufacturer, 30 weight motor oil. Here are the instructions.

zxcvbob
12-05-2013, 03:06 AM
I use a Herter's scale that looks exactly like the above picture. The powder pan is even the same. I tried putting oil it it, but it wicked out and made a mess. So I use it dry and it just takes longer to settle. Diesel would be worth a try, or power steering fluid, or ATF.

dbosman
12-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Glycerine or Johnson's Baby Oil work well.

TNsailorman
12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I bought a Webster RW-1 years ago from a fellow who said it was way too slow and sensitive for his needs. He had no instructions and no box for his scale but otherwise it is like new with a few paint ships out of the Red crinkle paint. There no oil bottle and I suspect that he did not realize that it needed one to dampen that swinging paddle arms on the scale beam. Anyway, mine is the exact looking scale as GP100man's picture except mine has red paint instead of black. I cut a plastic oil bottle to fit and I am a happy man with my "dinosaur" scale. I am a "dinosaur" myself. I am going to try to find some of the "damping fluid" and see if it improves the performance over DOT 4. james

dg31872
12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
+1 Typecaster. I use the one my father bought in 1961 or 1962 for us to learn how to reload with. It has never had any kind of oil in in. Just careful use of a index finger slows it fast enough for me. When I'm through reloading, I carefully dismantle it and wrap it in the same cloth we used some 50 years ago. Still looks like brand new. Box is showing a little wear though.

1hole
12-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I've never used an oil damped scale but I once knew a guy who did, he said straight anti-freeze worked great.

dbosman
12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Anything liquid that doesn't evaporate or suck dust, will work.
Well, almost anything liquid. Mercury won't work at all.

rattletrap1970
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
mineral oil.. Some call it sewing machine oil.

W.R.Buchanan
12-08-2013, 05:45 PM
I got my Redding #1 Scale in 1971 and it has no oil damper on it. I have always just put my thumb on the edge of the scale and barely touched the beam as it went by. This has worked just fine for 40+ years and I use the scale at the range and to check powder drops at the bench to compare with what the digital scale or the Lyman DPS says.

It is permanently located in my portable reloading kit, along with Lee Hand Press, Lee Hand Primer and various other hand tools.

Randy.

rbstern
12-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Mine has had Marvel Mystery Oil in it for the last five years or so. Never had an issue.

bob208
12-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I have used olive oil, gun oil, rem oil. lately I use wd40.