PDA

View Full Version : First Smelting

ashlyngr
03-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, I've done my first smelting of wheel weights. I smelted about 1 and a half buckets of hand sorted and rinsed weights. This gave me 74 condiment cup ingots.
After waiting 48 hours, I decided to test 1/3 rd or 28 ingots with my Lee Hardness Tester. This was quite difficult for me so I bought a small vacuum vise to hold the 20X optic, problem solved.
My test samples averaged out to a BHN of 13.0. According to the Lyman's 4 th, #2 Alloy is a BHN 15.0. My first uses are for 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 LC, and 45ACP.
When I make my bullets I plan to water drop them into a bucket with a towel.
Based on this info, does it look as if my BHN is ok as is? Will the water drop raise the BHN slightly? Or is BHN of 13.0 O.K., or must I add tin to bring it up higher?
I do have 60 Lbs of clean Rotometal Pb for my cap and ball, and muzzleloading needs.
All thoughts and advice is greatly apprieciated.

Thank You,
Ashlyngr

Defcon-One
03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Sounds like you had a good day!

You should be good to go "as is" with just WW at 13 bhn. I do add 1%-2% Tin to improve mold fill out, it makes it easier to cast nice bullets, not to harden the alloy.

letsmeltlead2693
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
How is the rotometal pure lead? Is it soft and colorful when melted as I might buy some from them?

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 09:23 PM
rotometals is a foundry, and a sight sponsor.
go to the top right of the page.

letsmeltlead2693
03-07-2012, 09:30 PM
So it must be colorful when their pure lead is melted as they are a foundry and foundry lead is usually pure?

ashlyngr
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
The Product is listed "Lead Ingot Pure 99.9%". In fact if you click the "Certs Click Here", you get to see the "Certificate of Compliance". This certificate of compliance states that this lead is 99.96% pure.
After a few phone calls, I made my first purchase of 60lbs. Having retired from the Postal Service I have seen packages bust apart. My package made it from California to Pennsylvania in perfect shape because fo the proper packing.
I will continue to use Rotometals for lead or metals I must purchase.

captaint
03-08-2012, 01:05 PM
ashly - If it were me, I would not go to the trouble to water drop those boolits. You simply don't NEED them that hard. Could even cause more problems than it would solve. enjoy Mike