PDA

View Full Version : white label lubes 2.0

RG_86
03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I know this is yet another thread on WWL but I don't want to hijack some one else's thread, and searching has not shown any firm results. I am going to be lubing Lyman 147gr, 9mm boolits and I need to know what you fellows think would be the best lube for it. I am torn between BAC and there C. red lube. I have a lube sizer with a heater. I want a lube that is not going to be messy but will still provide excellent results. I plan to be shooting them no faster then 950 fps or so. I do not know any one that has personally used any of their products other then the alox stuff. I want to order about 25 sticks so I don't want to mess it up. I am also very limited on time. Competition begins in less then 2 months and I need to load a large amount of ammo for it. Thanks for the help guys.

God Bless -Bob

captaint
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
RG - Since you have a heater and don't like messy, I'd say go with the CRed. Should serve your needs well. The BAC, which I use a lot would work well also, but is softer and must be handled a little more carefully. enjoy Mike

Dutch4122
03-07-2012, 04:39 PM
I have shot carnuba red through several pistols in the velocity range that you are going for. In every instance recovered boolits from the range backstop had completely full lube grooves. Barrels showed very slight leading. Accuracy was 3" to 3.5" groups at 25 yards, benchrested. I switched to BAC and the results with those same pistols, as well as my 686 .357 Mag, were much improved. Bore condition was shiney, recovered boolits had almost no lube in the grooves, and accuracy was outstanding.

I believe that Carnuba Red serves much better as a high velocity rifle lube than as a pistol lube.

Both lubes are a bit "tacky" but nothing unreasonable.

Hope this helps,:mrgreen:

pdawg_shooter
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
+1 on BAC. I use it on everything.

Slinger
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
RG_86 - If this helps you out any.....I use Carnuba Red on Lee 120 grain TC bullets. Velocity of my handload using HS-6 is 1054 fps out of a S&W M&P. Accuracy is 1-3/4" for 5 shots @ 25 yards off of sandbags. I size the bullets to .356" diameter. I use wheelweights plus some tin for castability. I have no problems with leading to speak of. If get a trace of lead the old "Chore Boy" takes care of it. I think properly sizing the slugs will do more more for you. That's what I ran into when I first got the M&P. I tried sizing @ both .355" & .357"and got leading. I went to .356" and it disappeared. There was one guy here on the forum that said right off the bat that I needed to go to .356" as the leading was a "sizing problem".
I think the C-Red would do o.k. @ 950 fps. I use it on 45 Colt, 255 gr SWC that are plodding along at 750 fps with no leading.
The only other thing I'd mention is powder. Some powders have a tendency to want to cause some leading. Must be flame temp. working on the heel of the bullet. I also ran into that with the 9mm. I switched over to HS-6 and the leading went away.
You could order some of both. If C-Red doesn't wrok for you & BAC does, you could order some sticks of 50/50 and melt 1 stick each of C-Red & 50/50 ( That's what BAC is), so all wouldn't be lost.

Hope some of this helps.

geargnasher
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Carnauba Red isn't the best cold-weather lube. It IS one of the best high-pressure, warm weather rifle boolit lubes out there, though. I'd try BAC fist if I were you. That or Randyrat's lubes.

Gear

stubshaft
03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
For your application I would go with BAC too.

RG_86
03-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am gonna go with the BAC lube. I dont mind a little sticky, As for sizing my M9 seems to really like .358. Thanks again -Bob

geargnasher
03-08-2012, 03:33 AM
:oops: I meant try BAC first, not "fist"! I should proofread my posts better.

Gear

btroj
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I too have found CR to be poor in cold weather. I also have had some leading wi it at low velocity in handguns.
Much as I hate doing it I have found I need a few different lubes at times. Some do better withthe low velocity stuff, some are better in cold, some are better in heat.

RG_86
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
not to add more head ache to it but would the 2500 stuff they offer work better?

Jon K
03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Ditto...Ditto...BAC

Jon

Rockchucker
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Everybody seems to rave over the bac lube, I'm going to mix up some c-red and 50/50 and give it a try after my c-red runs out. I'm a little concerned about it being to soft down here in this Florida heat, maybe not.

2shot
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I started the last thread on White Label lubes and I ended up getting three different ones, Carnuba Red, 2500 and Bac to try them out for myself. The cost is hardly nothing for White Label lubes and the money's going to a small US business so I splurged. I haven't gotten around to loading any yet but I can tell you that any of the three lubes I got are all LESS sticky than the old Lyman black tar I use to use. I'm looking forward to trying out the Bac in my 45 ACP and 38 Special and if it doesn't work out ( I can't see why it wouldn't) I'm not going to feel bad beacuse over the years I've spent more money on bad beer than what these lubes cost me. I will also try the two others (2500 and CR) in my handguns but again if these don't work out I'll just use them for rifle loads.

2shot

Slinger
03-09-2012, 11:10 AM
All I can tell you fellas is that for me, C-Red worked the best in ALL my handguns, then BAC. Point is, they all work but to what extent and in which guns. I'm not interested in making bullet lube selection a Lifelong Endeavor, but instead pulling the trigger alot is of the utmost importance to me.

Rockchucker
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm with you on your lube selection Slinger, C-Red has been my favorite, however I bought about a dozen sticks of a members 50/50 lube a couple weeks ago and want to mix it with my C-Red and use it up instead of letting it sit in a box. Just hope it don't turn out pink!

376Steyr
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
In my experience, the "2500+" lube is simply outstanding in .38 Special loads. I haven't tried it in 9mm yet. It needs a little heat to flow through the sizer (in a cold garage), and I like to dust the lubed bullets with motor mica to keep them from sticking to each other.

Slinger
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm with you on your lube selection Slinger, C-Red has been my favorite, however I bought about a dozen sticks of a members 50/50 lube a couple weeks ago and want to mix it with my C-Red and use it up instead of letting it sit in a box. Just hope it don't turn out pink!
If it does turn out pink, nobody will see it when they're loaded. Just don't let any of your shootin/casting buddies around where your Lubrisizer is mounted......!!!!!
Who knows, you might like your version of BAC better than C-Red. I just bought 2 Lyman 45 sizers off of a fella and along with my Lyman 450, I'm set. I'm thinking about using BAC in one, C-Red in the other, and Jake's Purple ceresin in the 450 sizer. The only thing about the BAC is it's a bit sticky and can migrate with higher summer temps. Other than that it's o.k..

Slinger
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
In my experience, the "2500+" lube is simply outstanding in .38 Special loads. I haven't tried it in 9mm yet. It needs a little heat to flow through the sizer (in a cold garage), and I like to dust the lubed bullets with motor mica to keep them from sticking to each other.

There you go...........!!!! Have you tried dusting the bullets when you use BAC or have not tried BAC yet? As I remember, when I played with Glenn's lubes, 2500+ came in third in my guns. Again, you prove my point, they all work, just to what extent in which guns? The possibilities are endless, as they say!

Rockchucker
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Thats been my problem living down here in the deep south, lubes that aren't sticky up north are down here. Never used motor mica before, I may have to give that a try.

Slinger
03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Thats been my problem living down here in the deep south, lubes that aren't sticky up north are down here. Never used motor mica before, I may have to give that a try.
I don't see where it would hurt anything. Baby Powder might be o.k. too.
Thing is, I remember back in the 70's (that'd be as in 1970s, not 1870s!) we all use 50/50. I used Javelina.... lubed up a mess of slugs and lined them up & stacked them in cigar boxes. Then loaded them as needed. Also left the loaded rounds in ammo cans or whatever to transport them to where we were shooting. Dead of summer, hot, but I really don't ever remember having problems with the lube oozing out or migrating or causing ignition problems. And I'm talking thousands upon thousands of rounds being shot out in the heat. Not in a single day, but over a period of a couple weeks. Perhaps we're making TOO BIG A DEAL about the lube thing.......

:veryconfu

Shiloh
03-11-2012, 09:52 PM
+1 on BAC. I use it on everything.

Me too. Used it exclusively for several years now. Rifle and pistol.

Shiloh