PDA

View Full Version : 1911 and speer #12

makicjf
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
The #12 speer manual has a load for the 260 grain jacketed hollow point for a 1911. I think I loaded 6.2 of unique at 1.20 and ran some through my ruger. This load is listed as a standard pressure 45 acp load. In reading elsewhere 1911 folks seem concerned about running "heavies" through a 1911 without a heavy spring. In general, should I avoid heavier bullets all together, or if no pressure signs ( I shot a few and they feed well and only throw the brass about 6 -8 feet) can I shoot some of them without battering a rock island? Also, if a 260 jacketed is ok, a 255 swc and a 260 fp cast should be ok as well, right (same oal feeds great)? maybe a touch less powder due to less friction ?same distance on the brass, same recoil. Or should i get a heavier spring? the load was lifted directly from the manual and if I had not read elsewhere concerns about battering the gun i'd have shot them blissfully unaware I maight be breaking the gun down...
any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
jason

Moondawg
03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
The fact that you are throwing brass 6-8 feet would indicate to me at least that you might benefit with a slightly heavier recoil spring. I am curious as to why you want to shoot such heavy bullets through a 1911 in the first place? You certainly are not getting much velocity, so what is the advantage of a much heavier than normal bullet?

makicjf
03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I had loaded them for a ruger convertible and was shooting them because I had them. No other reason. The lee 230 tc is what i shoot most from the 1911. I'll shoot the heavies up in the ruger. how far should a peice of brass be thrown? i'm pretty new to the 1911.
thanks,
jason

felix
03-07-2012, 02:14 PM
About SIX feet at exact right angles to the gun. Adjust recoil/slide spring to make this happen. Change loads, change spring. Standard military ammo (840 fps, 230 RN) equates to a 16 pound spring for most standard military lookalikes. ... felix

makicjf
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
The best load I have is a 230 tc over 6 of unique-- it throws them almost exactly six feet and in a tight little group. I tried 5.8 but the group was oversized at 15 yards. Picked up some winchester 230 hollow points today (for carry- i am terrified of overpenetration if the worst should happen) and the recoil is a LOT more than the 230 tc load. Could not judge the case distance as i snuck away and went to an in door range at lunch. If a standard over the counter load is hotter, I guess my 230 tc cast load should not over work the little Rock. The little pistol actually shoots the cast better than the JHP.
Thanks for the advice,
Jason

44MAG#1
03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with the260 gr Speer JHP bullet. I've used it. don't let someone rain on your parade. A 5 inch 1911 should get around 830 or so that will be the same momentum as a 230 at 938 fps. or a 200 at a1079 fps.
So????

makicjf
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I feel like I have a lot to learn- all of my expereince in loading/casting is with a ruger BH and a marlin 30/30-- few moving parts and lots of margin (11,000 to 32,000+ cup in the blackhawk 30 grains imr 3031 170 grain cast gc in the rifle to 36+cup). I am confident all my loads are not only safe and accurate but will not wear out the weapon. Linebaughs quote of "two lifetimes of 32 k cup loads safely" and shooting my dads 35 plus year old bh that has shot nothing but screaming heavies builds confidence ( if you stay within published load data). The 1911 seems more apt to wear to me. I shoot the blueing off of my handguns and don't want to mess up. The published data seemed clear, I filled the Rx as exactly as possible and the load shot pretty well. I actually like the idea of the 260 as a carry load.
More decisions to make i suppose. In a 1911, what would be indicative of overpressure and/or overweight bullets/boolits?
Thanks,
Jason

35remington
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually, your Ruger revolver is more likely to wear out than a 1911 shooting standard loads.

Much is made of heavier springs, and a 1911 is perceived for some reason as "fragile", etc. but it is often forgotten that 30,000 rounds of 30 psi 45 Colt will result in an eroded forcing cone and a revolver probably in need of timing and some endshake bushings.

Sure, the revolver is shooting heavier loads, but with loads appropriate to the pistol the 1911 is not fragile. 30,000 rounds of ball at 850 fps is nothing for a 1911.

Heavier springs are a generally bad idea, increasing battering of the pistol's barrel lug feet, which arrest the forward motion of the slide.

Look into a small radius firing pin stop instead. With this the 1911 is run as it is intended to run, is more reliable, and a small side benefit is reduced slide/frame impact without increasing spring weight.....and increasing spring weight leads to a less reliable 1911.

If you don't understand why, I can explain. Increasing spring weight has downsides you don't know about.

Use a small radius stop instead if a heavier load is contemplated.

littlejack
03-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Hey gentlemen:
Can someone explain to me, how replacing the standard/factory firingpin stop with a "small radius" firing pin stop, will allow the 1911 to function better with heavier than normal loads, than installing a heavier spring.
I am not denying that the "small radius" firing pin stop will/can not do what has been stated.
I do understand how the heavier spring will batter the firearm.
I do not understand the dynamics of what is happening with the "small radius" stop. Explanation needed please.
Thank you.
Jack

btroj
03-16-2012, 07:43 AM
The small radius makes the slide contact the hammer at a lower point. The small radius also makes it a bit harder for the rear moving slide to push the hammer back.
What really is happening is that more energy from the rear moving slide is used in recycling the hammer. That slows the movement of the slide.
My 1911 had a huge radius on the bottom of the firing pin stop. The one I replaced it with has just slowly had the bottom edge broken. Huge difference.
It does make a difference in how the gun tosses brass and in the "feel" of the recoil.

littlejack
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
btrog:
Thank you very much. That is a very good AND understandable explanation.
That makes total sense. It takes more force to push the hammer back when the slide is
contacting the hammer closer to the hammers pivot point.
Very much appreciated.
Jack

btroj
03-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Glad you understood it. I never would have known about, or tried, the small radius stop without info from 35 Remington. It was easy to fit and makes a difference. I am happy I made the change.
I also don't load my 1911 very heavy. I shoot mostly 200 swc over 4 gr of Clays.

littlejack
03-16-2012, 09:00 PM
My general go to practice load is 5.1 grains of 231 with one of the 200 grain swc's.
For woods carry, if using the 231 powder, I use one of the heavier 230 grainers with 5.8 grains.
I do have some heavy 255 Lee RF with a good dose of Herco, to come close to the 260 grain
Speer load. Those are put away for special occasions.
Jack