PDA

View Full Version : small magnum pistol primers

27judge
03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
should loads be reduced using small magnum pistol primers in place of regular. if so how much is the rule . i have 5000 wolf small magnum primers for use in a 9mm and 357 mag medium loads with cast bullits tks ken

subsonic
03-07-2012, 11:07 AM
If there is no data, and you do not have pressure measuring equipment (most of us don't), you are guessing. There is no rule.

The only indicators you have to go on are standard pressure "signs" like flat primers and sticky extraction. But I have to tell you, magnum primers that flatten and cases that stick with magnum loads in .357 are going to flatten and stick in .38's at pretty close to the same pressures. Which is much higher than .38's should go.

If you have a chronograph, you can try to get close to the same velocity with the magnum primers as you had with the standard primers and that should give you about the same pressures, maybe slightly higher. I'd shoot for a little less velocity to stay on the safe side.

Bwana
03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Small pistol mag primers are most of what I use. I have found that a reduction of about 10% will keep velocities about the same compared with regular sp primers. At the risk of starting a " " storm, I'll also tell you that high low velocity spreads are reduced. At least in my experience.

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2012, 06:56 AM
if your small mag wolf primers are anything like the large wolf mag primers i had there no hotter then a standard american primer. Even weaker then some standards. I think the only differnce in them is the cups are a bit harder.

LUBEDUDE
03-08-2012, 07:13 AM
I have no experience with Wolf primers. However, I use Federal and Winchester magnums in competition and can see a big difference in the winter time. When temperatures are below freezing, sometimes your ammo can go "pop" instead of "bang" when using temperature senistive powder. The bullet still hits the target, but when wearing ear protection sometimes you wonder if the bullet came out.
With the Mag primers, this is not a problem at all, all you hear is "bang" - whether shooting pistol, or shotgun.