PDA

View Full Version : What to do...44 mold modifying

Plinkster
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
So I've got a Lee 2 cavity 429-305gc that I will be removing the check shank from. Just eyeballing the boolits it drops it looks like it could use a 2nd lube groove where the check crimps in. Is this advisable or am I just wasting time by not boring that out? The boolit design seems to have a large bearing surface as is so I don't want to be upping pressures too much by just straight shanking that bottom half. And second question pertains to hollow pointing said mold, what is an appropriate pin dia? I was considering using some torx wrench tips I have since this would give some unique flutes to the cavity but they are somewhat small in my opinion (.216) Does anyone have a mold with a similar size meplat that is hp'd? I'd be curious to know your pin dia. Failing that does anybody know a good formula for figuring hp dia to meplat dia? Thanks in advance, I've learned this forum has a DEEP well of knowledge!

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 08:50 PM
that would definately shift the weight rearward.
making the rear drive band slightly larger than the others usually works pretty well.
by going to a hollow point and expecting it to open you generally need a softer alloy.
this is where the balancing act comes in.
pushing the soft alloy without a gas check? doable usually.
pushing it hard enough to get the hollow to open?
that's the question.
i would work on one end or the other, and get it to shoot, then think about doing the other side.
cutting out a gas check without leaving a lube groove is hard enough at home.
controlling the depth will be the hardest part.

Plinkster
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a access to a lathe and will be doing all the work to the mold on it. And I had completely overlooked whether or not I could push a PB fast enough to open, I just kinda figured it had to be doin 1000-1200fps or so to open. But I guess that would also depend on the HP cavity, which brings me around again to the pin dia question and leading me to think the pins I was considering are too small.

r6487
03-10-2012, 09:31 PM
look at some of eric's petal style hollow point pins. i am considering trying that style of hollow point and opening one side of a lee 2 cavity 310 mold. you can always make several types of pins once the mold is opened up.