PDA

View Full Version : just bought a star lubrisizer for $25 now how do i use it??

mr.jake
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I also got a lynman 4 cavity 120grn tc mold with handles for $25 and a lee bottom pour pot for $15. So how do i use the star? Ive been tumble lubeing thus far. was $25 a good deal? I heard they were hard to find so i jumped on it.

Ps i turned on the bot and its leaking like crazy and half full of lead. How should i take care of that?

buyobuyo
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Stars aren't that hard to find. You can buy them brand new. They're made by Magma Engineering (http://www.magmaengineering.com/) now. However, $25 is a smoking deal if it is in good shape even if it is missing a few small parts.

Star Manual (http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf)
Star Punch Setup Guide (http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_sizer_bullet_punch_settings.pdf)

As for the pot, fire it up and put an ingot mold or something under it to catch the lead and drain it. Then you can disassemble the pot and give it a good cleaning with a wire brush. You can improve the valve seal by lapping the rod to the valve seat with valve lapping compound from the auto parts store. That should take care of the leaking.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
As for the pot, fire it up and put an ingot mold or something under it to catch the lead and drain it. Then you can disassemble the pot and give it a good cleaning with a wire brush. You can improve the valve seal by lapping the rod to the valve seat with valve lapping compound from the auto parts store. That should take care of the leaking.

excellent advice...
BUT depending on how much crud is in the pot near
the spout, it just may need cleaning.

I do this OUTSIDE !
Empty the pot as described,
let cool.
fill with water,
turn power on.
clean with brush,
to clean the spout area, I wrap some steel wool
on the valve and rotate that (by hand) in spout area.
keep adding water if it drains out.
if it's really crudded up,
you may have to tip the pot up-side-down
to empty the dirty water.
repeat if necessary.

some people brush these out dry, if you do so,
avoid breathing in the dust...it can't be good for you.

then inspect the spout and valve to see if it needs lapping.
Jon

mr.jake
03-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I checked the magma sight in the link above. I supose i will at least need the heater. Do you hafto use compressed air or is there another wat to use it without it?

dragonrider
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
We could help you much better if you can post a couple pictures of your star. We could then tell you if it is complete without missing pieces.

DLCTEX
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
To clean my Lee pot I turn the heat all the way up,empty it through the bottom, scrape down the sides and bottom, using a straightened paper clip poke through the spout to remove gunk, use welding gloves to pick pot up, turn it upside down, and bump it on a board to dislodge the junk inside. Let it cool before disassembling the rod. Sandpaper the rod clean and polish the tip. Coat the tip with fine valve grinding grit and spin it in the seat, holding the rod at approximately the same angle as when installed. Test with water. If it will not drip with a full pot of water it will hold lead. Do not smelt in the pot. Use only clean alloy. I smelted in my pot recently as it was raining and I was out of 50/50 alloy, knowing I would have to clean the pot again. It dripped like crazy, but cleaning fixed it.

1bluehorse
03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
All good info on the Lee pot for cleaning. Great purchase price on the Star. You probably are aware that you need the proper sizing die for the caliber you want to lube and size. You can buy them thru Magma but theres a gent on here that also makes them and from what I have read his are better..you'll probably want to clean out the old lube thats in it. The Star is a very good piece of equipment.