PDA

View Full Version : Aluminuim mold storage

Steve E
03-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Any special things to do to Lee molds when putting them up for long term storage?

Steve E........

madcaster
03-24-2007, 01:35 AM
I just put a bit of oil on the steel handle screws and then store them in ammo boxes.
Steel blocks get sprayed down good with oil and put in ammo boxes.
Gas checks,some cast bullets and other related tools get stored in the ammo boxes as well.
They are so weatherproof that it is really hard to beat an ammo box....

Steve E
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks, that is usually what I have been doing, gotta love those ammo cans.

Steve E......

Uncle Grinch
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
I store all mine the same way (steel & aluminum). Let them cool and wipe them down completely (handle and all) with one of those "Gun Wipes" that come in the pop-up plastic containers. They are about the size of a dryer cloth (Bounce). I open the mould and close up the wipe in the mould. The moulds then go in a large Rubber Maid container for storage.

Never had on go bad on me yet.

MT Gianni
03-28-2007, 12:08 AM
In tropical SW Montana with our annual 9" of moisture there is no problem storing as youleft them. I have bought 1 on ebay that had a rust problem on the sprue plate so I know it can be a problem. I make sure that they stay shut and are not battered arround woth an elastic or newspaper then electrical tape over the top. I also mark the handles with the mold style, diameter and weight. Gianni.

azcoyhunter
04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Here in N AZ, Rust is not a problem.

It is usually so dry that I do not worry.

I keep them in the original LEE boxes and not a problem yet.

Clint

Dale53
04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I had a friend put away a "High End" four cavity aluminum mould while it was wet (with water) and it corroded badly. Tactical error!

You do have to be careful even if they ARE aluminum...

Dale53

twoworms
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Send your molds to me, I'll take good care of them...

Tim :)