PDA

View Full Version : CMP Road Trip

dk17hmr
03-23-2007, 10:53 PM
This morning bright and early my dad and I hit the road heading for Camp Perry, we met some friends on the way and made a day of it. We pulled into Camp Perry about 1noon, friends were in search of Woodless Dane M1's and Greek 30-06 ammo, I was along for the ride, only having $100 in my pocket didnt plan on buying anything, except maybe a 1903 reciever which they were sold out of so I bought a few small things, a M1 Garand Match tee shirt and a coffee cup for my dad.

Dad on the other hand was going to buy a case of Greek ammo, that didnt last long when one of the older gentlemen working there came out to restock the racks with woodless Dane rifles. Dad couldnt resist and bought one with desent bore, number 2 M1 for my dad, at just over $300 how can you really? I didnt spend to much time looking at M1's because I can just see dollar signs going around in my head like a slot machine.

First time I was at the CMP, not really sure what to think of it was interesting watching the other guys in there pick up every rifle on the rack looking for the perfect serial number or bolt or whatever they were looking for.

The one rifle that I couldnt take my eyes off was a Remington 40x 22lr marked "Property of the USMC" I basically fell in love with the rifle and didnt want to put it back on the rack, but with a price tag of $800 I left without her.

It was a good day.

garandsrus
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Doug,

The CMP store is a fun place to visit... I have left some money there over the past 3 or 4 years! Did your Dad end up getting the Greek ammo? It shoots really well. The primers are only staked, not crimped, so you don't need to swage the primer pocket when reloading it.

John

Mk42gunner
03-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Man I wish I was close enough to drive ther in one day. Probably better for the grocery bill that I'm not though.

Robert

dk17hmr
03-24-2007, 01:58 AM
At first we were going to split the cost of a case of Greek, you may remember my parents gave me a M1 for Christmas, but with him buying that Dane we didnt end up doing that.

He bought a case and a can load on clips last time he was down there of Greek ammo and that is all we have shot through our M1's so far, we still have alot left. It does shoot very good, and reloads nice, I took the brass and made some loads for my early model 1903 earlier this week. I am going to start shooting cast in mine and probably the next time we go down there, end of the summer, I will buy another case just because it is rather cheap and does shoot so good in our rifles.

Now I need to find some Matches to shoot in.

bruce drake
03-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Doug,

Go to www.nationalmatch.us Join the forum and you'll get all the information you need to start shooting HIghpower in Michigan. In fact, you may meet some guys from Michigan that can get you Match data.

Bruce

garandsrus
03-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Doug,

The CMP sight lists the Garand Matches. You can also check out the Michigan Rifle and Pistol Association (http://www.michrpa.com/). They organize many of the in state matches.

John