PDA

View Full Version : New Rossi 357 is much nicer than my old 357

357shooter
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM
My new Rossi 357, 20inch round barrel arrived. Wow, it's a bit different than the blue one I sold:

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/R92-56011.jpg

The blue was a bit rough, but really responded to the Steve's Gunz action job (done by me in about 20 minutes). It had very basic sights too. I lightened the trigger and magazine spring as part of smoothing it out.

The stainless gun, at least this stainless, is very smooth, the front sight is a gold bead with a very cool (don't know what to call it) rear sight. The trigger is nice from the factory, and the magazine spring is good to go. I did replace the plastic magazine follower with a metal one, cleaned it and lubed it.

I'm thinking that's about it. No Steve's action job needed. Any further smoothing will be from shooting thousands of rounds through it.

Did I say, it's a pretty looking thing...

Anyone else notice some refinement in the Rossi's? Or is it just this one.

JohnnyFlake
03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Nice! Is that the model 92?

I am also thinking of getting one, a 92 in SS but in .45 Colt.

Boerrancher
03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
It seems that Rossi just keeps getting more refined as the years go by. In the early 90's they were making good guns, some of them needed to be slicked up a bit, but they were still good guns, in the late 70's and early 80's they were making mostly junk. Now from what I have seen they are turning out some really top notch quality firearms. I just wish they hadn't put that safety on the mod 92's. At least it is not as bad as the cross bolt that marlin and winchester went with.

Best wishes,

Joe

ilcop22
03-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I bought my Rossi 92 last year. I had to slicken up the action on it, as well as replace the sights. It came from the factory with the wrong front sight. I can't really say if they've gotten better, but maybe they upped QC since last year.

fecmech
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
My 24" octagon .357 is a Braztech from about 2 years ago. Out of the box it had a very good clean 4 lb. trigger and was smooth. All I have done is thin the trigger return spring and replace the ejector spring with one from Ace Hardware. It now has a beautiful 2 lb trgger and action is slick. Wood to metal fit is very good and the gun feeds everything but wadcutters. I'm glad I bought my 2 Rossi's when I did as it seems they are now a bit scarce. In an article in the Wall St. Journal yesterday they mentioned quite a bit of inflation in the developing countries such as Brazil. I would guess that will show up as higher prices on the Rossi 92's.

Cowboy T
03-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Congrats, 357shooter! That looks like a nice gun, and I'm still shopping for one of these. Perhaps around tax time....

357shooter
03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Nice! Is that the model 92?

I am also thinking of getting one, a 92 in SS but in .45 Colt.

Yes, it's a M92. It's SWEET!

357shooter
03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys. The trigger seems pretty nice, after I get enough rounds through I may decide to lighten it some.

That's a stock photo, for some reason the stock looks scratched. Mine looks great.