PDA

View Full Version : Squeezing that .309 down

versa-06
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Looking for the fruits of knowledge and experience! I was wondering if squeezing a .309-.311 casted boolit from the mold down to .304 or even .302 is out of the question, or has there been some success at this attempt, or maybe taking it down in stages? Been having some success with some teflon, but my patched boolits don't want to chamber well without raking back the patch be it paper or teflon' tried several types and thicknesses. Can report some success with patching lube groove area and heavy alox lube on extended pottion boolit. getting accuracy at low velocities Probably 2050 - 2100fps. Input would be appreciated!!!

geargnasher
03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Order a custom push-through sizer from Buckshot in the size you need and size your cores before wrapping.

Roll the cores on a case lube pad and you can size them down to .302" in one shot.

Gear

303Guy
03-07-2012, 06:13 AM
versa-06, are you getting accuracy with Teflon tape? It's been discussed and tried by quite few of us, myself included. It did not work for me but then I didn't have the benefit of the internet back then. Just curious. I'm sold on paper patching.

So sizing a .311 boolit grease grooved down to .302 is OK then?

pdawg_shooter
03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I size all my .311s down to .302 with a push through die. Also my .460s down to .451 the same way. Not a problem. I tried teflon tape once...NEVER AGAIN. What a mess!

versa-06
03-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry it took so long getting back, Geargnasher; Thanks for the direction to Buckshot Have already sent message to him should be getting underway soon , Thanks again! --- 303Guy I need to disclose everything then you decide if it is really patching. I first .309 size & g-check, then wrap the lube grooves w-4 wraps of half in. teflon tape, then tumble lube 3 times in LEE Alox, load, then trim excess tape. Gas chk for reasons of flat base as possible, have heard that it may help to poss. scrape away lead deposits if any, I use the teflon to minimize lead to metal (leading reasons) and heavy lube for obvious reasons, all on a LEE 180 gr bullet which usually weigh's in at 173-175gr. I have had almost 0% leading W-35gr w-748, burned 40gr W-748 just a few min. ago & goy my best pattern yet, No Chrono yet but calculated approx. 2150-2200 fps. Now I may not need the teflon but the clean barrel may be important if i do need a high volume of shooting I know this is low vel. Last 9.5lbs wheel weights .5lb tin. --;dawg shooter thanks for your answer it helped to make the decision to order a custom sizer from Buckshot. Thanks again guys for letting me borrow your brain.

versa-06
03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
SORRY about that pdawg shooter ,mis-spelled your name.

pdawg_shooter
03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
If you paper patch with paper, there can be NO leading. The lead never touches the barrel. And you can save your money on checks, none needed! You can shoot all day and the only thing you will need to clean out of the barrel is the powder fouling from the LAST shot. The paper cleans the barrel every shot.

versa-06
03-08-2012, 07:26 PM
pdawg shooter; That all makes good cents, I would like to give it a try and I've tried to E-mail Buckshot in ref. to sizer's, I must have taken the wrong turn in Al-ba-kwirkie, trying to contact him, I understand the logic and have read there are some velocity advantages that would be helpful put'n them white tail deer steaks in the tummy. Also got a big desire to kill a nice BEAR with a 100% hand load!!! I think that would be the kats M-E-O-W!! Wanna do it some day before I'm too OLD!! 51 in May But in good shape so far. God has been GOOD to me. Thanks Again for all input!!

303Guy
03-08-2012, 07:52 PM
If you paper patch with paper, there can be NO leading.I got leading! Well, not really leading but gas erosion for sure. Rough bore. Lead might have added to the roughness. Fire-lapping fixed it. Normally, from what I've found, the patch will fail in a rough bore but not cause leading. Paper seems to hang up on the roughness. Not the pitting from rust so much as the rust itself. Once the sharp edges of the rust pits are blunted, good velocity can be achieved with paper patching.

versa-06
03-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I can see how all of this can be grasped using paper. The strength of wood fiber is an impressive thing. I just haven't been able to downsize that much yet. I've been real satisfied with LEE's inexpensive and productive sizers, But I (personal opinion) think it might be fruitful for them to expand their variety just a little in my favor (Ha Ha). Like working with this stuff and trying new loads, This site has been very beneficial for me' and I appreciate all who have a brain to share!! So keep the brains com'n! Love Them White Tail Steaks- Or Have I Said That ALREADY.

pdawg_shooter
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Lee will make a push through sizer in any size you want, but I do prefer Buckshots.

versa-06
03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I got a message through to Buckshot and he seems to be quite a fellow!! I'll be sending him the sizes I need soon Lord Willing!! I look forward to Regulation paper patching trial and error tactics to add to what I've absorbed thus far. Thanks for letting me borrow your brains!! I appreciate the input of your trial and error, A.K.A. Knowledge!. OH and did I mention? Love Them Whitetail Steaks!!

6.5 mike
03-12-2012, 12:54 AM
When I need a sizer Buckshot is the one I use, have a number of them & couldn't be happier with them.

goofyoldfart
03-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Now all you guys be real gentle on me.:) I have posted before on another thread here about Teflon wrapping an 03--A3 with a 150 grain slug (with check and lube + it threw about 5 grains heavy to about 158-160) with 5--6 wraps and was getting an estimated 2600--2700FPS with no leading with about 1 1/2 " (mighty fine for minute of deer). As this was many years ago I don't remember the load of powder and weight. God Bless to all.

Goofyoldfart.

versa-06
03-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I Have recently realized that two wraps is not sufficient , I get much better results with 4& 5 wraps. Downed my 30-06 down to 2 wraps and lost 2.25 in. at 75 yds. There are those of us who enjoy the trial and error, and it does wear on our patience. I am sure regulation PP boolits are A finer and prob. a more precise manor, as a matter of fact I am working on this at this time myself with the assistance of Buckshot and his reputable talents. But I have experienced some clean and quality results with the much faster teflon wrap. Lets face it if we want high vel., clean barrels, continued consistancy, good accuracy, less brain strain, less trial and error and labor. Hey that sounds like BORING store bought jacketed boolits. Hey goofyoldfart -All respect to the true veterans whom are so deserving!! and May The GLORY of GOD Rein on your parade forever Amen.

303Guy
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm all for trial and error and trying things just for fun. :drinks:

Just to clarity, when you say increasing the number of wraps, you referring to paper, right?

What size casting is it?

geargnasher
03-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Versa, here's the dope if you want to skip much of the trial and error.

Yep, size to BORE diameter +.001/.0015, patch up to Groove diameter +.001/.003 or as large as your throat will accept. Load with a powder that will get you close to 100% load density at the velocity you want and go a shooting!

The only thing I can add is use a thinned or warm boolit lube to lube the patch after it's dry or final size in a base-first lube/sizer with warm lube and light pressure, use paper that's about .003" thick (you might have to try a few different ones until you get one that builds a jacket of the correct thickness with two wraps), and seat them to engrave the patch when you close the breech block.

Gear

versa-06
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input geargnasher, very helpful Will inform Buckshot of exact size I need for a sizer. Just sent him a slug from one of my rifles just an hour or so ago, Thanks Again!! Been using teflon and thread tape with some mixed results.