PDA

View Full Version : Refill your Lube - Sizer

Ben
03-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I always use liquid lube to refill my two lube sizers. I've tried different systems to pour lube into the lube - sizers.

I seem to have landed on a " low tech " method. Beagle gave me the idea, and it has worked well. Find a steel soup can, make the proper modifications and you're good to go.

Here is a short " Mini - Movie " of me filling my lube sizers this morning. ( excuse the cluttered bench top)

I melt my lube on a hot plate that has an adjustable thermostat. I've never burned my lube with this melting method. I realize a lot of people use the double boiler method, but my method seems to work fine for my needs.

Thanks,

Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5n68SrrUo&feature=youtu.be

beagle
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
A pop can with a bent lip held with vice grips works like a charm, is cheap and can be set right on the melt quickly for melting if you have to have a pot fired up.

Note the caster's favorite word.....cheap./beagle

Ben
03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
If it is cheap and it WORKS, you've got my attention.

Ben

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
here's cheap.
i roll it into the shape of a hot dog and stick it in the hole.

oh for the ones that have a hole in the middle.
i pour into a pan, let the lube cool. [the depth of the pour is adjusted to make square strips.]
cut into strips as wide as the hole to the side of the sizer and just spin it around the center rod into the cylinder.

Digger
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
So now we know what your bench looks like ...after all this time ....:popcorn: ;)

DLCTEX
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
I was expecting to see Ben's Red being poured. That looked more like 50/50.

Ben
03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Digger :

You cheated, you were not supposed to be looking at my " junky bench ".

DLCTEX :

That is some old NRA formula that I'm using up right now ( I traded for it recently ). You're right, usually it would be Ben's Red.

Thanks,

Ben

Digger
03-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey ,,,", I don't say nuttin if you don't say nuttin !"......:rolleyes:

Hang Fire
03-07-2012, 12:30 AM
See you have the old trusty #45 still in action there Ben.

Mine is still going after almost 50 years.

Ben
03-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Yes, a fine machine still capable of lubing and sizing some very nice cast bullets

bobthenailer
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I heat up my lube in a pyrex measuring cup on a hot plate. if the wifes not home i use the microwave to heat it up