PDA

View Full Version : Taurus tracker 22

Revolver
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
I have had back luck with Taurus. First was a stainless Judge my wife gave me for chrismas 2 years ago, it jammed up constantly, at least once in every 5 shots. Nothing would move, seized. Finally I got fed up and sent it back for repair then sold it.

I figured it was just a fluke so last year I picked up a 22 Tracker (used, to be fair) in stainless. It was all over the place, very confusing, then I found the barrel was loose and swinging around. Sent it back to Taurus, come back looking good but shooting double action is almost impossible. It feels like there is a burr somewhere in the trigger pull that it hangs up on (Wasn't there before I sent it back for the barrel). Once you hit that burr you have to squeeze really hard to get over it and there is no hope for accuracy.

I've just about given up on this gun... I have never opened up a revolver before but I'm wondering if this is something I can investigate myself?

[smilie=b:

dubber123
03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Without trying to start another Taurus Love/Hate thread, I will say the .22 revolvers seem to have a lot of complaints about the actions. From the few I have experience with, trying to lighten the factory springs will only get you a bunch of misfires. Some deburring/stoning/polishing will help, but I think you will still end up with a heavy action. If you only need to make it a little better to be satisfied, then there may be hope. Best of luck. :)

scrapcan
03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Junker,

this thread might help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50215&highlight=taurus

I still have the m94 mentioned in that thread, mainly because I cannot see passing the problem on to another owner. I still have not been able to get springs from Taurus. When I call they always tell me they are out of stock. I am using small frame springs.

I will leave it at that and just pass along the good info others gave to me.

NickSS
03-07-2012, 05:45 AM
I have two tracker 22s as well as a pair of 94 22s. I had trouble with the 22RF/22mag one that I most recently bought. It had a problem with the cylinder locking bolt not locking. I sent it back to Taurus and it was returned working fine ever since. I only have a couple bricks of ammo through it. I also had a problem with my Stainless 94 that sounds a lot like your problem. The cause of the problem in my gun was when firing fast the barrel and cylinder heats up fast and expands and then the cylinder rubs on the back of the barrel. This makes it almost imposible to shoot it DA or even SA. I fixed it by taking a mill file to the back of the barrel and removing 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch to make a bit more cylinder gap. The gap as recieved was less than .001 and quickly went to an interference fit. Now it is between .003 and .004 inch and no more problems. The other two never had any problems. As far as springs go I did the same thing to all four of them. I cut 1 to 2 coils off the hammer spring and the same to the trigger return spring. This lightened the pull so that I can use the DA feature as well as SA without wearing out either my thumb or trigger finger. I went easy and did it in several stages always assembling and testing funtion before the next cut. I found that the trigger sping is way more powerful than necessary and cut more off them.