PDA

View Full Version : Sorting out lube requirements

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
While I've been reloading for a good while and casting a couple years, I've not paid close attention to the actual lube requirements for various calibers and bullets and their associated velocities. I own a luber sizer and I've used both heated and non heated lubes as well as LLA rolled on and let dry. But I've not selected lubes for specific applications. I'm wanting to refine both my casting and my lubes to better suit my applications. Hence this post.

Here's where I'm at right now:

I own an RCBS Luber sizer and a Lyman heater base for it, non thermostat controlled. I just picked up a Magma Engineering/Star luber sizer with a Magma heater and a pneumatic lube feed as well as manual feed.

Here's my current plan:

Use the RCBS Luber sizer with rifle lubes and use it to lube/size/check seating.

Use the Star luber sizer with pistol bullets.

My question is:

Do I need a lube in the below listed calibers that's hard enough to need heat or I'm a simply money and marbles ahead to use the NRA 50/50 Beeswax/alox lube for all pistol bullets?

Here's the calibers:

.45ACP
.380ACP
.38.357 mostly .38 to be shot in a S&W snubnose carry pistol.
.30 Carbine, plain based bullet, shot out of an M1 Carbine rifle.
Maybe .40S&W in the future, but I doubt it

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 08:24 PM
the 50-50 is a bit soft in higher temps.
bac is a good all around do all rifle revolver pistol lube.
from 750 up through 2k.
it requires some heat but works just fine under pressure.

stubshaft
03-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I too like BAC for your applications.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2012, 01:18 AM
BAC by that name is not something I'm familiar with. Is this is a Lars (White Label) lube?

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 01:36 AM
beeswax alox 50-50 and 3- 5% carnuba wax.
it firms things up,increases the melt temp,and shines the bbl.
i believe lars has it, if not i make it myself, by melting 2 sticks of 50-50 and 1/2 stick carnuba red.
while i am at it i add about 1/4 teaspoon of lanolin.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2012, 01:39 AM
the 50-50 is a bit soft in higher temps.

When you say higher temps, do you mean outside temperatures? Georgia outside temperatures reach a high of around 100 degrees F max during the summer.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-07-2012, 01:43 AM
runfiverun,

Thank you for the formula. I have both those lubes in my bins right now. I think I'll use this formula and my hot plate to fill my new Star sizer when it comes. Just melt, stir and pour right in.

leftiye
03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
I might be wrong, but I think Lars mixes 50/50 alox beeswax 50/50 with C-Red to make BAC

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
i think he does too.
i just don't like that combo and found the other mix to be easier to use and works better for me.

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
When you say higher temps, do you mean outside temperatures? Georgia outside temperatures reach a high of around 100 degrees F max during the summer.

i rarely see temps that high and need to work with lubes geared to the -20 up to 85-90* area.
50-50 is too soft for me,carnuba red is okay at temps over 50. the blend brings the melt temp of the 50-50 up without sacraficing viscosity in the lower temps [especially with the addition of the lanolin].
the mix of the two is a very good summer lube that swings to the high end easily but also works well in the cooler fall temps.
our fall temps can go from 10-20 at night to 80 during the day.
i worked this recipe with the temp swings in mind but it does better at the high end.

41 mag fan
03-07-2012, 07:05 PM
i rarely see temps that high and need to work with lubes geared to the -20 up to 85-90* area.
50-50 is too soft for me,carnuba red is okay at temps over 50. the blend brings the melt temp of the 50-50 up without sacraficing viscosity in the lower temps [especially with the addition of the lanolin].
the mix of the two is a very good summer lube that swings to the high end easily but also works well in the cooler fall temps.
our fall temps can go from 10-20 at night to 80 during the day.
i worked this recipe with the temp swings in mind but it does better at the high end.

Does humidity play much of a factor? Idaho don't have nearly the humidity that Dave has or me for that matter. Not unusual for us to have an 80%+ humidity level

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 09:07 PM
alox is a bit smokey in high humidity, especially combined with some powders.
but then again some powders with jaxketed bullets smoke too.
and a lot of the time the smoke is just plain old blow- by.
anyways the modification of the 50-50 will cut down on the smoke substantially, because it doesn't leave the soft alox film behind in the bbl.

41 mag fan
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
interesting.....thanks for the info RFR

fredj338
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
For commercial lubes, tough to beat WhiteLabel in any flavor. No heater, BAC is beeter for me than 50/50. Not as gooey. CR is about perfect for any cast bullet use I have. It does need about 95-100deg heat to flow well.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Man,

All roads, unless you want to make your own, seem to lead back to Lars. He's just tough to beat on price and quality.

41 mag fan
03-09-2012, 07:01 PM
That's the fun of this hobby. So many hobbies you can create within the hobby.

.22-10-45
03-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Hello, Dave. Years ago, I shot alot of IHMSA silhouette, used a S&W 57 83/8" 41mag. with Lyman 410429. Local reloader co. gave me a good deal on Micro-Lube & so thats what I used. Never had any leading issues even at some pretty hot loadings. I still have lots of this lube, & so thats what I have used in .32WCF., .38Spec. & .44 spec. Now, this stuff is pretty soft.
A few years ago, I was working with a .38 long-colt with hollow-base bullets. I thought a softer lube would be needed, so pan-lubed samples. These were beeswax based with lanolin & castor oil...probably too soft for sizer.
These shot so well, I tried them with my .38 spec. accuracy loads..shot more accurate with this lube! I have done similar tests with BPCR bullets shot over smokeless & have come to believe softer is better. For that matter..for 90% of my type of shooting softer alloy is better also! However...pan lubing is slow & sometimes the difference in accuracy just isn't worth the effort..so for casual plinking & close-range targeting..I still use the commercial.