PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make .177 pellet mold?

corvette8n
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Seem like I could cast a bunch from the scraps left over from a casting session.:-D

Bent Ramrod
03-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Beeman's Airguns used to import the "McQuire Pellet Mold" from England. I haven't seen it lately in their catalogs but you might call them. The original price, as I recall, was not low.

I found a specimen at a gun show for cheep and bought it as a curio, but of course, I had to try it. The blocks are made from round brass stock, and the cavity is a rounded spitzer .177 pellet with a driving band like a Sheridan pellet. The mould has no sprue plate, so the sprues have to be cut off the pellets in a separate operation. The gate for the lead is a narrow cut on the edge of the driving band, and there is not much of a place to puddle the lead, which makes it hard to fill the cavity. Since the sprue stays at the edge of the casting, and the spitzer point goes full depth into the second block, the rare well-filled casting doesn't come out without a lot of persuasion. All this makes for a grim and frustrating casting session, even to someone who casts .22's all the time.

It's a cute little mould, and well, if simply, made, but if I needed airgun pellets, I would probably invest in a swage.

Buckshot
03-24-2007, 04:48 AM
............The group here did a group buy on a pellet. Honcho and (I think) designer was Oldfeller. Ended up everyone was wanting a heavier design and what came out was too heavy to stabilize well. There was a guy in Mexico who was getting good results and he was shooting them backwards! He was interested in buying any of the moulds that might have been available.

...............Buckshot

Sundogg1911
03-24-2007, 11:02 AM
I believe C.Palmer does. (at least they used to) I had one that came with some estate sale casting stuff and I gave it away. It looked pretty cheaply made though. (looked like a splitshot mold)

Dye
03-24-2007, 11:41 AM
corvette8n
I have one of the Oldfellers special order moulds,single cavity. Why are you wanting to cast 177's. It takes a 110 degree day and you have to cast like a mad -hatter in the SUN to make it work
BE carefull Dye