PDA

View Full Version : Bread from Beer Trub?

Rick N Bama
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Do any of you guys have a recipe for using the Trub from Beer Brewing in place of regular Yeast? I have about a pint from a batch of Beer I've just finished.

Thanks,

Rick

L Ross
03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Make a sour dough type starter with it. Let it work a few days days and use a sour dough recipe for bread. Not a guess, my wife actually did this.

Duke

pipehand
03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Its been fifteen years since I last brewed beer, but I did make bread using the yeast from the secondary fermentation. Too much hops in the primary. Made good bread. Waste not etc.....

Rick N Bama
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Make a sour dough type starter with it. Let it work a few days days and use a sour dough recipe for bread. Not a guess, my wife actually did this.

Duke

Thanks, I had just about decided to do just that, thanks for re-enforcing the fact that it'll work. A friend had told me that he used it in making bread, but when questioned he said he just put a couple spoons full into the mix, meaning to me that he didn't actually use it for the yeast itself.

Its been fifteen years since I last brewed beer, but I did make bread using the yeast from the secondary fermentation. Too much hops in the primary. Made good bread. Waste not etc.....

Alas the trub is from a Mr. Beer kit which uses a primary fermentation only. I'll get out all the hops I can before I make a starter.

Rick

arjacobson
03-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I usually toss It in the yard. It seems to green up the grass a bit. That reminds me I have to make another batch..

DIRT Farmer
03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
When my son was making beer here at the house my favorite by product was the malt grains left after he leached them for the batch was prepared for the fermenter. I added a cup of the whole grain to the sourdough mix and baked it. It made good bread.

WRideout
03-26-2012, 07:08 AM
When beer is fermented, the dead yeast cells fall to the bottom and collect there. The goop is commonly know as "trub". It also holds a fair number of live yeast cells; that is what you need to start bread. It doesn't take a whole lot to innoculate a single batch of bread dough. A few sponfuls should suffice. Sometimes a little of the dead cells is helpful, as a source of nitrogen for the growing yeast.

Technically, all yeast, whether it is bread, wine or beer yeast is some variation of Saccharomyces species. Country people everywhere have made many gallons of dandelion wine using Fleischman's bread yeast.

Wayne