PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 33

Radkins
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I have taking my model 33 to every gunsmith in town and they all say that it can not be fixed. They say it looks like it's been dry fired alot. The problem is it will not fire on the first try. You have to recock it a few times before it will fire. Is there any chance that I will find a used action? Is there a great GURU that I can send the action to. The manufactured date is May of 1934

Thanks
Ricky

para-frame
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The dryfire damage can be taken out with a chamber iron, inconsistent ignition in rimfires is almost always a sign of either a too short firing pin (through wear or damage, like from excessive dryfiring), excessive headspace or a weak firing pin spring, unfortunately Numrich doesn't have either in stock right now. can you check the firing pin protrusion and get a measurement? on my 510 (the next gen of your rifle) the firing pin protrusion is .029 in. from the breach face and I get 100% ignition.

If the protrusion is close, fire it once even if it doesn't actually fire and measure the crush depth of the firing pin in to the shell, again on my 510 it is about .016 (take the rim thickness and subtact the thickness of the crushed section.)

If you suspect excessive head space check out this article, See article here. (http://www.jmtpublishing.com/articles/2011/Those_Amazing_Teen_Years.asp)

If the protrusion of the firing pin is good (.025-.035) you can try stretching the spring just to see if it helps, if it does come back here and I will see if I can find a comparable spring on numrich or another parts site.

There are usually a few actions on gun broker but I don't think it is the barrel/action that is causing your problems unless the chamber mouth is severely worn and the round is actually seating too far in to the chamber.

Mk42gunner
03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
...they all say that it can not be fixed.

It can be fixed, the question is, is it worth it?

There are several ways of fixing the dent in the chambers edge; ranging from swaging the metal back in place to relining the chamber or completely relining the bore.

It does take a real gunsmith, not just a parts changer to reline the barrel.

Robert

Radkins
03-06-2012, 10:45 PM
It will be a couple days before I can fire it. I will look at the round and check the depth. What kind of cost are we talking about? To me it's worth it. I would like to keep passing it down.

Ricky

para-frame
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
A chamber iron is 20-30 bucks, a new firing pin and spring will set you back about 30 bucks (when you can find them) and shims (use the RC car ones from the article) are less than 10 bucks for a life time supply.

scrapcan
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
also take the bolt apart and make sure the firing pin channel is clean. If you have junk in the channel it can cause you to not have enough protrusion. You may have to use a pick to make sure it is clean as 80 year old gunk is pretty hard.

Radkins
03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I will tinker with it, but I don't want to make it worse. It does fire. Just takes a few tries.

Ricky

Mk42gunner
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
What kind of cost are we talking about? To me it's worth it. I would like to keep passing it down.

I can't help you on costs; suggest contacting John Taylor, his work always looks good when he shows it on here.

I do understand passing down family guns, I have my Dad's Winchester and Grandpa's Remington to pass on to either my daughter or her eventual kids (hopefuly in a few decades).

Robert