PDA

View Full Version : Engraving question

7br
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I originally posted this in the levergun forum, but have only gotten one response.

I recently purchased a Marlin 336RC in .35 Rem. I traded for a 220gr lbt mould in 358. I can either seat it short and take up powder space, risk powder contamination, but have slick feeding. Or I could seat it long and jam it into lands, risk jacking up the pressures, and have a little hitch in feeding. Recommendations? The round on top is loaded short, the round on bottom is loaded long. You can see the engraving marks on the round on bottom. It was chambered multiple times. It will chamber, but takes a little effort to close the lever.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41813&d=1331000034

Reload3006
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
If it were me and my main goal was hunting. I would load for smooth operation. and adjust my powder charge to contain pressures in acceptable limits. If you are worried about contamination there are lots of options available. for one use some of the red dot loads with polly fill the polly fill will keep the powder on the primer and it will keep the bullet lube that may be on the base of the bullet from contaminating the powder. You are correct that the bullet seated deeply in the case will reduce capacity and increase pressures. But these pressures can be mitigated with proper powder charge. that is why we work up our loads.

Sonnypie
03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't shoot a lever gun anymore.
But I'd go for function first.
Maybe there is a happy medium? Looks possible to me.

popper
03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Touching the lands is OK, bigger problem is where you crimp. I haven't had problems with contamination using GC and TL alox in 30-30, base below the shoulder. With PB I would expect bad gas cutting the base. Dacron filler may help, but takes up powder space.

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
put it in the crimp groove and use a roll crimp.
only lube the two grooves,if the bottom one is really that far below the neck try only lubing the top one, or a dacron filler.
i am not a fan of seating below the neck, but i have had some accurate loads where it was.

beagle
03-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Seat it short. Mine shoots all right and the base extends below the neck and I get good accuracy.

After about 5 years no problems./beagle

williamwaco
03-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't worry about powder contamination. It is not an issue.
If you are hunting, set the length to accomplish the best functional reliability.
If it is seeted too deep, reduce the powder charge.

If you are loading for accuracy, load it long enough to almost but not completely touch the lands.

Yance
03-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Mark;

I have a Rem 788 .30-30 that I had to have a custom .300" sizer ground for to size the boolit nose of the SAECO 315 so it would chamber. It's a little more hassle with the extra sizing step, but after you've spent the $$ on a custom mould you might as well spend a little more and finish the job. Buckshot can fix you up with a .348-.349 die.

303Guy
03-07-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm not sure why taking up powder space would be an issue. The correct powder selection would be more important I would think. I would use polyester filler, as much to protect the boolit base as to hold the powder in a consistent position. But I don't have a 35 Remington.

220 GR. SPR FN Hodgdon BL-C(2) .358" 2.470" 36.0 1824 26,900 CUP Cast would produce lower pressure and I'm not sure BL-C(2) burns well at lower pressure but there are other powders like W748 and Varget (being stick powder might not be best for boolit base peening). But as can be seen, that's a healthy velocity and a mild pressure.

DLCTEX
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I have that problem with Lee 311-170FP in my Marlin 30-30. The nose is fatter than the bore, so the nose gets ingraved. I cast with WW/lead for this gun and let the nose engrave no problems as long as I get a good crimp.

popper
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Mild engraving isn't bad but the marlin has a lever lockout - you might have to jam it twice to get it to fire - not good in hunting.