PDA

View Full Version : T/C 56 caplock smoothbore

RhodeHunter
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Is this a good gun? Can you use it on a Canada goose? Thanks.

Maven
03-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Those are very good guns, but were made as a legal means of hunting during Massachusetts', and possibly other states', ML season (smoothbore & patched roundball only). They used a .55cal. RB, but many have reported excellent accuracy with a .535" RB as well.* Btw, either Gunbroker or eBay has a .55cal. Lyman RB mold up for bids. Can't help you with shot loads for Canada geese though.

*I think T/C limited those to 90gr.(volume) FFg with the .55cal. RB.

pietro
03-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Is this a good gun? Can you use it on a Canada goose? Thanks.

Would you use a CF 28gauge shotgun on tough/thick-feathered Canada's ?

That's about the rough equivalent of the .56SB - In fact, I used to load 28ga shotcups in mine, on Ringnecks, B 4 I traded off the .56SB bbl for a .54cal rifled bbl.

03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
NOT a goose gun! At most a fairly close range shotgun for squirrels- maybe. As has been posted, for single patched roundball.

smoked turkey
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I agree that the .56 SB should be used for squirrels, rabbits and the like. I have been tempted to use mine for turkey "just because", but never have tried. It certainly patterns good to 30 yards. I haven't patterned it beyond that. Having a 12 ga Knight, I use it for turkeys. However I have more fun than is usually legal taking my SB for squirrel loaded up with 1/2 ounce of shot.

Boerrancher
03-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Stop it fellas, just stop it. You are going to keep talking about smooth bores and the like, and I am going to end up buying a 16 or 20 ga trade gun. So just quit before I have to block all of you....

smoked turkey
03-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Too Late Boerrancher. I can see it coming. My advice is don't fight it. It's going to happen sooner or later. I have seen your posts and I think you NEED a smoothie.

RhodeHunter
03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I found a decent deal on this gun locally, and I would like to try squirrel hunting, so this is looking like a maybe. However, after buying all the supplies, tools, accessories for my friend's 1851 Navy 36-cal, and my Lyman 54 cal, I have found that finding all the right equipment to support a gun is the hardest part.

So my question is, can the shot cups, wads, cards, etc all be found easily for this caliber? Do you buy it as 28-gauge?

I have been just so frustrated try to find all the right stuff.

x101airborne
03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I tell ya, I just got a used pedersoli trade gun in 20 ga. I am stoked to take it out and fill a skillet with it. We dont have all that many rabbits, so squirrels and eventually doves will have to do. Patterns real well at 20 yards with everything from #4 buck to #8 shot. Just too cool to hunt with a flinter.

Lonegun1894
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I dont know about goose hunting as I have VERY limited waterfowling experience. But I have used my .54 smoothbore flinter for quite a bit of hunting, and have been very impressed with it. And this is coming from someone who used to think anything less than a 12 ga just wasn't big enough to use as a shotgun. I have taken quite a few birds and a lot of small game with mine. My next project is to find a hog to try it on, and then hopefully a deer this fall. I think I would try it on ducks first before moving on to geese. While I do think it's doable, you might be pushing the envelope a little bit. But dont let that stop you. I am curious how it works because this is something I would like to try if i ever get the chance.

Boerrancher
03-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Too Late Boerrancher. I can see it coming. My advice is don't fight it. It's going to happen sooner or later. I have seen your posts and I think you NEED a smoothie.

You are not helping.... *fingers in the ears* La la la, not listening, la la la...

Best wishes,

Joe

RhodeHunter
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok, I've been reading the V.M. Starr sticky and it looks like all I would need is some 3/32 inch cardboard, some shot, and a shot-pouch with measuring device.

I don't think the cardboard from 1955 is like today though?

Any advice on where to get the cardboard and the shot-pouch?

x101airborne
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Ok, I've been reading the V.M. Starr sticky and it looks like all I would need is some 3/32 inch cardboard, some shot, and a shot-pouch with measuring device.

I don't think the cardboard from 1955 is like today though?

Any advice on where to get the cardboard and the shot-pouch?

you make the shotpouch. Shape it like a miniature wine bag and use a piece of brass or aluminum for the neck. When you have your shot bag capped, you turn it upside down, filling the neck with shot. Pinch it off and turn it right side up. Pull the cork or stopper out and you have a pre-measured amount of shot.

For the cardboard, go to the supermarket. The boxes that meat breaks come in are usually about that thick and solid instead of corrugated.

Lonegun1894
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
As to the shot pouch, I think the guys above are right, you'll have to make it--at least if you want it done right. I made myself a shot horn that holds about 3lbs of shot, and used the cut off tip as the measure after hollowing it out to hold just barely over 7/8oz. As to cardboard, I have been using cereal boxes, softdrink (like 12pk and 24pk of Coke/Dr. Pepper/etc.), and similar with good results. I have punches that I had custom made that make the perfect cards for my .54 and .710 smoothbores. I dont use shotcups, but have been thinking I may have to try them someday even though my current patterns are effective for the game and way I hunt.

03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I found a decent deal on this gun locally, and I would like to try squirrel hunting, so this is looking like a maybe. However, after buying all the supplies, tools, accessories for my friend's 1851 Navy 36-cal, and my Lyman 54 cal, I have found that finding all the right equipment to support a gun is the hardest part.

So my question is, can the shot cups, wads, cards, etc all be found easily for this caliber? Do you buy it as 28-gauge?

I have been just so frustrated try to find all the right stuff.

Well, to start with about the goose hunting idea- hunting any migratory waterfowl requires the use of steel or non-toxic shot. Next, most goose hunting is not close range, shoot in the head, type shotgunning. Next you are dealing with a very small, cylinder bore that simply won't give a very dense shot pattern at any normal hunting range. Next, while you may be able to safely load and shoot a little more shot than say 1/2 oz., you may not like the patterning results of larger payloads as it becomes a "law of diminishing returns" in shot loads. And, geese are not fragile birds. So no- the 56 cal cylinder smooth bore is not a good idea for such shotgun hunting.

Now about the shot loading. A 28 gauge wad should fit down a normal 56 cal bore (28 gauge is about .550" cal). I think if I were trying it I'd buy or punch some thick cushion wad material of some kind so the OD was about .56". Or you can try a bag of 28 ga. plastic shot cups. Next you'll need over shot card wads- these need to fit the bore with some friction so the load doesn't loosen or fall out. Load maybe 30 gr FFg BP, seat cushion wad on powder, pour in 1/2 oz shot, seat over-powder card wad on top. Now it needs to be patterned. If it is not patterned then all further discussion about uses or loads becomes academic. Use a large piece of clean paper out at maybe 30 yards with a black dot in the middle. "Aim" at the black dot and fire. Inspect paper for pattern density and location... such as it may be. That will tell a story. Then to feel better about the testing and results, you may need to try the same at 20 yards with another piece of clean paper. And that will tell a story.

Oh! forgot to mention- the above load could be considered a starting load. I believe the recommended 28ga loads top out at about 50 gr FFg BP under 7/8ths oz shot. If you go there, patterning on paper would also be worthwile. The only experience I've had with small bore ML shotgun was with about a 24 ga. It did show patterning preference with the lighter loads... as do most ML smooth bores in all gauges for that matter.

waksupi
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I go to Walmart, and buy a sheet of poster board for the cards. A set of punches from Harbor Freight will most likely give you the proper size for cutting. (9/16" for a 20 bore if I remember right) For hunting, I made a small powder horn that holds about 10 shots worth. Shot horn of a size to match the amount of powder. Priming horn, ditto. Lots more than usually needed. No need to haul a pound of powder, and ten pounds of shot. All I carry for hunting will fit in the front pocket of my jeans, no need to haul everything with you.

Jeff Michel
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Your best bet for commercially available fiber wads and over shot cards for you .56 would be the Log Cabin Shop or Track of the Wolf. Both have web sights. I've used a .56 for years and never seen a plastic shot cup. Since it isn't "choked" your pretty limited to small game. I did jump shoot a lone mallard with mine before the shot ban. But I can't speak to steel shot in a .56, I gave up on waterfowl hunting after I saw the number of cripples steel shot produced over lead shot, considering the bore size and the specific gravity of steel shot it may be pretty marginal. Tungsten or HeviShot could be an alternative if your shooting close over decoys.

RhodeHunter
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I pretty much accepted earlier that it's not a goose gun. I know about the "no lead shot" rule, because I got all my stamps and special licenses this past fall to hunt these big Canadas, but only actually hunted one day with a borrowed 870 pump, and didn't go to the right place to find them anyway. But you are allowed 15 geese in the early season so I was thinking how much meat that was.

Next year I will know better about what to do if I want to get 'em. I did waste $20-something on the permits/stamp plus a box of shells, but I still have the shells!

Thanks for all the source info on the cards/cardboard. I'm going to go for that gun when I get my tax money. If it's still there, I'll definately pattern it (thanks 405!) and then get a good recipe for squirrel and dumplings - yummy! My mom's from Florida, and so this here new englander knows something about dumplings.

HARRYMPOPE
03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
a 9/16 punch worked for cork wads for my 56 TC pretty well.

DIRT Farmer
03-07-2012, 11:46 PM
In my 28 ga trade gun I load up to 1oz, but get some leading in the area the shot sets. I have cut wads from any normal box, but the paper 6 pack carriers from selected adult beverages seems a little denser. The waxed shipping cartons for fresh chickens makes a good coushin wad, may or may not help your pattern.
If you have a drill press avatible, a 9/16th hole saw with the teeth sharpened barely off cuts wads like a champ even from 1/2 Celotex wall board to make a cushin was like the commercial ones to hold more lube if you shoot more than a few shots.
I have taken several decoying ducks with my trade gun with Bismuth #6s. I got so excited at the prospect of getting a goose on my only oppertunity with the gun, well I just plain missed. I was going for a head/ neck shot at about 15 yards, some days they decoy well.
A 1/4 pint plastic beverage bottle holds plenty of shot and fits the hip pocket fine.
Patterning is king, expermint with different loads, different wad combos for the best pattern. I have used plastic wads a few times only once with out an under card wad (WD-40 will disolve the plastic) but I get my best patterns with traditional wads. If you get leading in your barrel from your experments, a few patched round balls with a light load of powder will clean it out.
Have at it and have fun.