PDA

View Full Version : Time for another Lever.

pistolman44
03-06-2012, 02:51 AM
After seeing a new Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with a brown laminated stock I must have it. Can't get it out of my head. I already own quite a few rifles and hand guns, I only own 1 other lever that is a Marlin 44 mag. Now I got to research reload data, best bullet mold, dies and etc. I'm sure I will be able to find all the info here on this site for this caliber.

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
check ranch dog's sight for the mold, he may have load data there also.

Boerrancher
03-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Ranch Dog does have load data for his molds, and you won't go wrong with a RD boolit design in a Marlin.

Best wishes,

Joe

Greg B.
03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Check the Marlin owners sight so you can get an idea of what problem areas to look for before you put your cash down. I have a standard Marlin 45-70 which I really like and that Guide Gun looks like the ultimate bush hunting rifle. The Hodgon Gun Powder web site has tons of loading data for all types of 45-70 rifles. I think you will really enjoy your new gun.

Greg B.

TXGunNut
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Snag it quick if it's a good one. Only problem with mine (early w/ porting) is that it causes me to leave several perfectly good hunting rifles in the safe when I go hunting. It always goes and when I pull a rifle out of the case to get serious it's generally the Guide Gun. It's not my best looking, most accurate, quickest handling or best fitting rifle but it's way above average in all categories.

pistolman44
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I went on the Marlin owners.com web site to do some research and now I don't know. Some said to check if rear sight is mounted in the center of barrel and some have barrel droop. A good one will have JM stamped into the barrel. I'd hate to plop $600 down for a new one and find out it has barrel droop. One guy said his shot 30" low because of barrel droop. I have a 1894 in 44 mag and it is extreamly accurate. But it was about 15 years ago.

monge
03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
lyman 340gr hp is a great deer and black bear BOOLIT! Light recoil and accuate! Its a tack driver in my xlr!