PDA

View Full Version : lube recipe recomendations

Nick2010
03-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Looking for a harder lube recipe for bullets. i want it to be a little harder so that its not messy, not really worried about a heater, i will probably buy/make one for my lyman 450...i load for 9mm and 44 mag. i have a good recipe for the 9mm but doesnt seem to work so well in the 44 but i have not tested it a whole lot. anyone got some good recipes that would possibly work for both? just looking for a more solid lube cause im tired of the lube i have now, its a lil messy

C.F.Plinker
03-06-2012, 01:43 AM
What recipe are you using now? Perhaps we can suggest a few changes to it so that it will do what you want. You say it doesn't work well in the 44 Mag. What is it doing that you don't like and what would you like it to do that it isn't?

stubshaft
03-06-2012, 02:11 AM
There all a little messy, its just a matter of degree. Not knowing what you are currently using makes it difficult to suggest what changes may need to be made.

runfiverun
03-06-2012, 06:00 AM
a good lube should have some slickness and tackyness to it.
you can take it out, but you will most likely also decrease it's effectiveness.
if the mess is due to the lube sweating out of the carrier then a binder is in order.
adding sodium stearate will usually act as a binder [add some slick to the lube too] and firm it up all at one time.
adding lithium stearate will add slick [it adds a small amount of binding too, to some carrier/lube combo's] but will generally soften a lube.

Nick2010
03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
its a mixture of beeswax, parafin and vasaline.. not sure what exactly the rate was.

randyrat
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Beeswax & Vaseline 50/50 or 60/40 with 2 ounces of Carnauba wax per lb. You can adjust this recipe easily. To harden add a little Paraffin or more beeswax to it...I keep clear of much paraffin because it is not as good a lube as beeswax. You have to adjust your own hardness for your application. Keep temps below 160 Degs F. using a double boiler.

Larry Gibson
03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Buy some BAC. It's not really that spendy.

Larry Gibson