PDA

View Full Version : 35 rem seating question

7br
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I recently purchased a Straight Gripped Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. I traded for a 220gr lbt mould in 358. I can either seat it short and take up powder space, risk powder contamination, but have slick feeding. Or I could seat it long and jam it into lands, risk jacking up the pressures, and have a little hitch in feeding. Recommendations? The round on top is loaded short, the round on bottom is loaded long. You can see the engraving marks on the round on bottom. It was chambered multiple times

JFE
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
If its anything like my Marlin 35 Rem your chamber will have no throat. If you want to use that bullet you will need to load it short and then it may not feed properly from the mag.

Other alternatives are to have the throat opened up but is not normally a good idea for cast bullet shooters or size the part of the bullet forward of the crimp groove so that it clears the shallow rifling.

robroy
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
If you just gotta have an LBT mold then pony up and have Vearl make you one that fits your rifle. Otherwise there are several good molds out there that fit the Marlin well. Ranchdog and RCBS come to mind. Then you can use that 220 grainer in your 35 whelen with the 16 in twist. Oh wait that's mine. Hey give me my mold.:kidding:

junkbug
03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Is that a plain base mold? How hard are you going to ry to push it? Personally, I would seat it deep, maybe giving the base area an extra wipe with a rag, to remove any excess lube. Looks like your bottom lube groove will just be barely in the neck flare area, anyway.

Good luck.