PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sizing Die Needed

Fugowii
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm shooting a SBHH and when I re-size/de-prime the brass after shooting it I really have to work it. I'm measuring the case OD at .459/.460 after firing and after sizing I'm measuring it at .455. The case thickness is approx .015. Has anyone else got a custom sizer for their Rugers? If so, I would appreciate it if you would tell me where you got it.

Thanks,

F

Bwana
03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I use a RCBS steel die and the upper portion measures .451 after sizing. I use RCBS lube and it sizes easily. Are you using a compound leverage press like a RC?

Fugowii
03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I use a RCBS steel die and the upper portion measures .451 after sizing. I use RCBS lube and it sizes easily. Are you using a compound leverage press like a RC?

Yeah,

I'm using a RC and a Dillon carbide sizing die. I have to use both arms to size my brass. I'm getting a little long in tooth to have to put that much effort into sizing my brass. :mrgreen:

largom
03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
A carbide die does'nt usually need the cases to be lubed but a little lube will make resizing easier. Are you lubing your cases?

Larry

beagle
03-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I was browsing the latest copy of Handloader yesterday and I see that Saeco is making a two diameter carbide sizing die. Does the base at one diameter and the neck at a smaller diameter. Has two carbide inserts.

Check it out./beagle

Mal Paso
03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
My Brass never touches the ground so I size Before tumbling and the little bit of boolit loob that coats the cases really helps.

I should update my carbide die post too as that is working well. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145485

handyman25
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Does this happen with other dies? Have you tried these dies in another press?

Dont know how you set up your die and I am sure that you know this but just incase.

I set my dies with the ram all the way up and then screw the die down untill it touches. Lower the ram and screw the die down a little more, say 1/16 a turn. Work the handle full stroke and you should feel the handle cam over high center with just a little pressure not a lot. You may need to play with this a little. I set mine so that I can go past top dead center using only my thumb. This will give you full length sizing and maxinum leverage.

Fugowii
03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
A carbide die does'nt usually need the cases to be lubed but a little lube will make resizing easier. Are you lubing your cases?

Larry

I'm doing this and it does make it easier. My concern is the amount of sizing I am doing and how it is affecting the life of the brass.

I was browsing the latest copy of Handloader yesterday and I see that Saeco is making a two diameter carbide sizing die. Does the base at one diameter and the neck at a smaller diameter. Has two carbide inserts.

Check it out./beagle

I've got that issue, just haven't got to it. Thanks for the tip and I will check it out.

My Brass never touches the ground so I size Before tumbling and the little bit of boolit loob that coats the cases really helps.

I should update my carbide die post too as that is working well.

My brass doesn't touch the ground either but I would want to make sure I had the cases cleaned before I sized.

Does this happen with other dies? Have you tried these dies in another press?

Dont know how you set up your die and I am sure that you know this but just incase.

I set my dies with the ram all the way up and then screw the die down untill it touches. Lower the ram and screw the die down a little more, say 1/16 a turn. Work the handle full stroke and you should feel the handle cam over high center with just a little pressure not a lot. You may need to play with this a little. I set mine so that I can go past top dead center using only my thumb. This will give you full length sizing and maxinum leverage.

None of my other dies present this problem but then again none of my other guns expand the brass as much as my SBHH does respectively. I believe that I could use a die that is .002 greater than the Dillon die and that would work just fine.

Thanks for all the good responses so far!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I think I'd made a call to a couple of die manufacturers, particularly the one I already own. Also, I'd post a question with other Ruger SBHH owners and ask how much their brass is expanding. Could be your cylinder is a bit oversized.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Here's a custom die manufacturer:

http://www.ch4d.com/

They can probably answer your questions about the die you have now as well and may be able to answer if your die is at the tight/small end of the tolerance or if your cylinder is possibly at the large end of the tolerance.

I would also check with other SBHH owners about the expansion they are getting with their brass related to your cylinder being on the large end of the tolerance.

MtGun44
03-10-2012, 02:33 AM
The underlying problem is that the older .45 Colt chambers are about .005 to .008 tapered or
even more. Nowdays the carbide dies (except for the new Redding two size die) size the cases
straight, so the back wobbles around which hurts accuracy, and you are really over working
the brass, not good for case life.

I use old RCBS steel dies that are tapered properly.

Bill