PDA

View Full Version : What is this alloy?

letsmeltlead2693
03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
I have two ingots of what feels like lead, but it is from picture frames, pewter, lead, and solder mixed in. What is the alloy, is it a lead, tin, antimony alloy, or what can it be? The ingots are somewhat soft but have a grainy texture and is a slushy like consistency like antimony. I don't have pics of the ingots, but I will take some as soon as I can.

John Boy
03-05-2012, 09:31 PM
What is the alloy, is it a lead, tin, antimony alloy, or what can it be? No way to determine the composition unless you send it to a lab for analysis. Best you can do is determine the Bhn using a hardness tester.
As for the pictures, might as well skip posting them because no one can determine the alloy composition from just a picture

Do you have a hardness tester? If not, coming up with these odd ball alloys - might want to buy one

letsmeltlead2693
03-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Don't have a HT, but it does make a ringing sound when you tap the ingots together or just tap the ingot. It melts on a hotplate without a torch, but it is SLOWWWW to melt without a torch. It doesn't cast well on its own, but it would make a great hardener to harden up lead. Going to test the ingot soon and see if it has zinc in it, but I know it doesn't have zinc but it won't hurt to test it.

letsmeltlead2693
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Tested a small sample of my homemade alloy with the works acid cleaner. No zinc, because it did not fizzle. I know there is no zinc in it, because I put some on zinc and it fizzled like sop bubbles and some alloy lead and it fizzled a little and etched it and made rainbows on it.

stubshaft
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
If it is from picture frames, pewter, lead and solder then I don't understand your question. You seem to know what it is comprised of.

letsmeltlead2693
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Could it be an alloy of about 90%Pb, 5%Sn, and 5% Sb and other metals?

leadman
03-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Solder is usually 60/40 unless it is leadfree. The pewter would be the real wildcard in this alloy.
If you have some pure lead or WW you could mix up a small batch and see if it casts to your liking. Make sure to write how much of what you are blending so you can reproduce it.

letsmeltlead2693
03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
The solder I put in it was lead free. I put pewter and about 1 oz of lead in it and also unmarked pic frames that looked and melted like pewter but were not hallmarked.