PDA

View Full Version : "Self-healing targets" Oh really?

Jtarm
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I had never shot one of these before, LOML got it for son and I for Christmas.

Apparently, they didn't test it with Veral Smith's Ogival Wadcutters from a .44 spl.

I expected to be able to put more than 3 rounds into a $30 target.

Jack Stanley
03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure wadcutters don't qualify for round nose status . I bought the "Newbold" brand of self-healing targets and they strongly suggest round nose bullets be used .

Perhaps your target regrows itself ?? ;-)

Jack

btroj
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Yep, read the instructions. Bet it says round nose only

troy_mclure
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
whats wrong with it? itll still spin right?

fatelk
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
My wife bought me one of those for Christmas, $30 at Cabela's. I read the instructions and saw that it was not recommended for use with "flat nosed" bullets, so I took it back (before shooting it of course!)

I read online somewhere that a .223 FMJ does far less damage than a .22 HP, and a .38 wadcutter really tears them up.

BulletFactory
03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Never point at anything you're not willing to destroy.

mpmarty
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Self healing targets? Gee whiz I thought this was another zombie thread.

JeffinNZ
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I'd like to see it heal with the Snider boolit!

fredj338
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
If you read the instructions, it says to NOT use JHP or WC ammo, I assume large meplate FP would be the same. WHy I don't own any of them.

geargnasher
03-06-2012, 02:19 AM
There are little plugs laying all over the place behind my "self healing" spinners. You blast them with non-recommended ammo and that's what you get! Still, they last many hundreds of rounds, and once you finally do shoot the center out of one you can cut it up and make .22 spinners out of the rest. You'll get your money's worth before you finally kill it.

Gear

finishman2000
03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
you mean wadcutters make nice clean holes? no

375RUGER
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
they don't do so well with 500S&W HPs either.

insanelupus
03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Since it's ruined, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

KaliforniaRebel
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, you can always break out the welder. That'll only work so many times though... :rolleyes:

Is a softer alloy and lower velocities out of the question?

dakotashooter2
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Just shoot it with gluletts.... They'll plug their own hole......:mrgreen:

Rocky Raab
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
"If you read the instructions..." is the first line out of the mouth of people who work in the Complaint Department.

Because people never do, and then they b*tch when the thing doesn't do what they blithely assumed it would.

Jtarm
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
"If you read the instructions..." is the first line out of the mouth of people who work in the Complaint Department.

Because people never do, and then they b*tch when the thing doesn't do what they blithely assumed it would.

Yeah, in hindsight, I should have read the instructions, but there's no need for that obnoxious reply.

I've been casting 26 years but am new to this forum. If this sort of BS goes on around here, then admins, kindly delete my account.

I've seen more than enough BS on other forums from internet warriors who spew tough talk from behind a wall of anonymity.

And if the moderators want to delete this post, feel free. My feelings won't be hurt and I'm not coming back.

Mooseman
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
I dont see anything Obnoxious in his reply stating the facts...You posted, Members answered as to why it happened. If you cant handle the truth , Forums like this may not be in your best interest. People don't pull punches here, they tell it like it is.

shooterg
03-08-2012, 03:58 PM
For not much more, you can get 500 Brinnell steel plates from many sources and rig a simple hanger for it(I've hung 'em from a cheap strap hinge on two bys) - last practically forever.

And the sound is SO much more pleasing than the orange plastic hits give !

But do be happy that someone likes ya enuff to buy you shootin" stuff !!

linotype
03-08-2012, 04:11 PM
I had never shot one of these before, LOML got it for son and I for Christmas.

Apparently, they didn't test it with Veral Smith's Ogival Wadcutters from a .44 spl.

I expected to be able to put more than 3 rounds into a $30 target.

Glad you pointed that out. I was planning to use these targets for Cowboy Action beginners.
I can see they wouldn't last too long.

By the way, yea, been there. Wish more info was printed on the packing rather on the instructions. I can see where you would expect the target to take 44 WC unless the box said "round nose only."

303Guy
03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Jtarm, we have a great bunch of characters here. Rocky Raab is one of them and that's just the way he is. He tells it like it is. He's one of us - family like.:grin:

But folks here are helpful, polite and considerate and very knowledgeable too. Stay with us and you'll see this site is unlike any other.
And no opportunity for humour is lost.:drinks:

Rocky Raab
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
"Character" huh? I like that!

My post wasn't meant to be obnoxious. Trust me, if I had wanted to be, I can be as obstreperous, as umbrageous, as vituperative as...well, the next guy.

(Provided the next guy is a sesquipedalian, also.)

Jtarm
03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
"Character" huh? I like that!

My post wasn't meant to be obnoxious. Trust me, if I had wanted to be, I can be as obstreperous, as umbrageous, as vituperative as...

As can I:-). The point had been made that I failed to RTFM. I was already slapping my forehead with a big "Doh!"

Rocky Raab
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
As do we all, at times.