PDA

View Full Version : Poring lube in a 4500

Radkins
03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I know some people do this. Does it hurt the seals or create a problem down the road. Our do i need to keep using my pvc molds?

gandydancer
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I know some people do this. Does it hurt the seals or create a problem down the road. Our do i need to keep using my pvc molds?
I'm glad you ask that. because I would like to know myself. never did it not sure its a good idea. GD

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I do that all the time, no problems so far.
I don't heat the lube beyond 212º (double boiler style)
I imagine it's more like 180º
there is no way that temp can effect the o-rings.

I store Lube in recycled glass jars,
never more than half full...it's too easy to spill
when pouring into a lubesizer, if they are near full.
I remove the cover and put it in a pan of hot water on the woodstove
or kitchen stove on low...takes about 30 minutes
Jon

doctorggg
03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Glad to see this info. I am planning to make my own lube and was wondering about the particulars. Double boiler, 180* and store in mason jars. Anything else I need to know? Thanks

BruceB
03-05-2012, 04:45 PM
My all=purpose lube these days is a mix of White Label's Carnauba Red and their 50/50.

I melt it in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, two sticks of each type. The process is SUPERVISED CLOSELY, and as soon as the sticks can be stirred as a liquid, the cup is removed from the oven.

The melting process is repeated whenever the sizer needs refilling. One advantage of pouring to refill is that a much larger amount of lube can be added (more than contained in a single stick of lube).

As stated, no harm is done to anything. Just allow a few minutes for the new lube to solidify before trying to use the sizer.

Radkins
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks all for the info. I think thats the way I will do it from now on.
Ricky

Finster101
03-05-2012, 04:50 PM
As stated, no harm is done to anything. Just allow a few minutes for the new lube to solidify before trying to use the sizer.

Except for anything on the bench that you spill melted lube on ! On a positive note, the drawers under the bench have never worked better.

James

geargnasher
03-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Ben started an excellent thread on this, he uses a home-made dipper to ladle melted lube into the sizers. I do what BruceB does, Pyrex and microwave, low power setting, short bursts with lots of wait time so as to not scorch the lube or overheat the glass. I also use a candle warmer to melt it sometimes, it takes a couple of hours but I plan ahead.

Gear

.22-10-45
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
++Double boiler melting. Also, I have always ran a bullet into sizer die when doing this..not sure if necessary..but one less thing I need to worry about. Oh..and don't overfill! kind of tough getting that piston head in there!

fcvan
03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I also do the double boiler routine. I cut the top off a 1 liter soda bottle for a funnel which fits snugly inside my Lyman 450. I pour and wait for the lube to cool until semi-solid. when I pull out the funnel the lube is below the surface enough for the pressure nut to fit inside. I have thought of making some lube molds but haven't gotten around to it yet. Frank

Snyd
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I use and old stainless steel tea-pot that has a nice little spout. I heat/melt my homemade beeswax/vaseline/etc lube directly on the stove CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY and then just pour it in the luber. Works great for me.

Radkins
03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Thank's for all the great ideas.

Rockchucker
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I forgot to ask you while you were here if you wanted six pieces of 1" sch 40 pvc 6" long with caps for your lube molds, seems you're gonna be our lube man anyway.

Radkins
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
No thanks I think you have one of those things called a microsomething. I will buy you a funnel if you need one.

gandydancer
03-06-2012, 03:26 AM
someone on here I belive his name is Ben I think he heats his home made lube in an old metel coffee pot. H e fills his sizer from the pot and leaves the extra in the pot for the next time. I'm going to have to find an old coffee pot and give it a try.

stubshaft
03-06-2012, 04:27 AM
I use an old plastic measuring cup from the thrift store and heat up the Felix lube in the microwave (with a small towel over it).

Rockchucker
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Who sells the old time stainless or aluminum percolator type coffee pots any more? I have a nice 4 cup old stainless style that I'm not ready to give up yet that I use for camping. Seems that type would be perfit for pouring lube.

largom
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
You won't hurt the seals in your lubsizer but if you over heat your lube it could be damaged. Like many others here I heat/melt my Felix lube in the microwave SLOWLY until enough is melted to pour in sizer. I also do not run my sizer until it is empty, refill while it still has lube in it.

Larry

rexherring
03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been doing it for years, works great for combining harder lubes if you have to soft of one. Double boiler works the safest on the hot plate. Hasn't affected the RCBS sizer I have.

jmsj
03-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Radkins,
I used to use the heating part of an old coffe pot maker. I took the brewing part off to make it more compact.
I would put a Pyrex measuring cup w/ FWFL on it and turn it on. It is slower than the microwave but I never had to worry about scorching it or catching it on fire. Sadly the heating element eventually died also but I am on the look out for another old coffee maker.
Good luck, jmsj

dragonrider
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I do it all the time when adding lube to my star. I warm the lube till it just becomes liquid, pour into the lube tube then put a small fan to help cool it down for use. Of course in a star you must becareful to keep it below the vent hole.

DukeInFlorida
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
I use an old mason jar, quart sized, for mixing up my lube.

I put it in my microwave oven, on high, for 8-9 minutes, and it totally melt the lube. Using a pot holder, I grab the mason jar, and pour to fill the lubricizer.

Most anything with bees wax will melt in the microwave oven. Never any worry about over heating.